Native Hunter Apple Tree Research Tribute

FarmerDan

5 year old buck +

It is the nature of forums to have classic important contributions slide to the bottom of the proverbial pile. As I searched for something else this appeared. I am not a tree guy. But this is a work of much sound research and needs a salute! In the long dark days of winter it is worth your time if you are into apple trees OR if you appreciate the work by the many experts participanting here.

KUDOS Native!

https://habitat-talk.com/threads/the-forbidden-apple-tree-knowledge-thread.10487/

It is the nature of forums to have classic important contributions slide to the bottom of the proverbial pile. As I searched for something else this appeared. I am not a tree guy. But this is a work of much sound research and needs a salute! In the long dark days of winter it is worth your time if you are into apple trees OR if you appreciate the work by the many experts participanting here.

KUDOS Native!

https://habitat-talk.com/threads/the-forbidden-apple-tree-knowledge-thread.10487/
Thank you for posting

bill

Feels like this is one that deserves to be pinned at the top.

KUDOS Native!

Thanks so much FarmerDan. Only someone with your astute attention to detail would notice the amount of work I put into that. At the time, I couldn't sleep well at night until some questions were answered in my mind. I also had a burning desire to possibly help others understand some things they might otherwise have not understood. Thanks for bringing the thread back to life and for your appreciation of it.

Thanks for posting this. I have lived on our place for 32 years and been doing habitat improvements as long. It was pretty evident from day one what was drawing deer to our plot. It was an old abandoned apple orchard. Currently there are 40 plus wild trees growing and probably 20 of them have various varieties grafted to them. Fire blight is quite prevalent here and I suspect, that is why the original orchard growers left it. We prune and burn any infected branches or whole trees. I have tried fire blight resistant rootstock but the jury is still out on that one. Another thing I have read from Cornell University is replanting apple trees in an area that had previously grown apples is a type of root sickness(?). There is rootstock to overcome this. We don't rely on just apples here. Have been planting, persimmon, paw paw, wild plum , pear, chestnut and red osier dog wood.

Thanks for posting this. I have lived on our place for 32 years and been doing habitat improvements as long. It was pretty evident from day one what was drawing deer to our plot. It was an old abandoned apple orchard. Currently there are 40 plus wild trees growing and probably 20 of them have various varieties grafted to them. Fire blight is quite prevalent here and I suspect, that is why the original orchard growers left it. We prune and burn any infected branches or whole trees. I have tried fire blight resistant rootstock but the jury is still out on that one. Another thing I have read from Cornell University is replanting apple trees in an area that had previously grown apples is a type of root sickness(?). There is rootstock to overcome this. We don't rely on just apples here. Have been planting, persimmon, paw paw, wild plum , pear, chestnut and red osier dog wood.
That root sickness you mentioned is referred to as "apple replant disease." I've not researched it a lot, because I don't have any locations (yet) where it is a concern. From what I've read, G890 rootstock might be a good candidate for situations where it could be a problem.

I grow all of those trees and shrubs that you mentioned, plus a few more. I love doing it and would keep doing it even if I didn't hunt.

Thanks so much FarmerDan. Only someone with your astute attention to detail would notice the amount of work I put into that. At the time, I couldn't sleep well at night until some questions were answered in my mind. I also had a burning desire to possibly help others understand some things they might otherwise have not understood. Thanks for bringing the thread back to life and for your appreciation of it.

The not sleeping until questions are answered is something I have struggled with off and on my whole life. Starting to get it under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The not sleeping until questions are answered is something I have struggled with off and on my whole life. Starting to get it under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I retired about 18 months ago, and since that time I have mellowed a lot. Taking life a little easier has proven to be a good thing for me.

I have not read all of the original thread or else have forgotten much of it.

I did notice one statement that seedling rootstocks appear to be less susceptible to fireblight.

I do not see much fireblight and most of my rootstock is dolgo or ranetka seedlings. Purchased trees from SLN do ok if I can get them through the first few winters. I think there is some hardiness issues with those in my climate.

I did have some trees on Anty from Charlie Morse. Those grafts often failed and when I have tried to regraft root suckers, they nearly all failed. Fireblight hits some of them.

Overall, I seem to see less fireblight on dolgo (seedling) rootstock than on Anty (seedling) rootstock.

I just suspect the statement about resistance on seedling rootstock varies with the rootstock.

Dang, I wish we could get more dolgo rootstock!

I did notice one statement that seedling rootstocks appear to be less susceptible to fireblight.

I do not see much fireblight and most of my rootstock is dolgo or ranetka seedlings. Purchased trees from SLN do ok if I can get them through the first few winters. I think there is some hardiness issues with those in my climate.

I did have some trees on Anty from Charlie Morse. Those grafts often failed and when I have tried to regraft root suckers, they nearly all failed. Fireblight hits some of them.

Overall, I seem to see less fireblight on dolgo (seedling) rootstock than on Anty (seedling) rootstock.

I just suspect the statement about resistance on seedling rootstock varies with the rootstock.

I do have to agree with you on the dolgo crab. I have a wild crab shrub that has a propensity to sucker. I have taken rootstock from this and grafted various apple trees onto the wild crab rootstock. The grafts took but I am not seeing good growth on my saplings. . Only about 4 or 5 trees out of my wild trees produce edible apples for me. The deer seem to gorge themselves on a few types. Some types hold their apples late . I have a chestnut crab that has 1½" apples that keeps it apples. Only problem is, it is a dwarf tree and it has to stay fenced in. . Currently have scions from that grafted onto my rootstock. It's all an experiment.

Last edited:

My first trees on Dolgo rootstock (Blue Hill Trees) were planted in the fall of 2020, so it's still too early to evaluate them in my area. However, the vegetative growth has been phenomenal, and we have started to see some fruiting. I'm excited about the long term possibilities. The fact that the trees will be large is another plus for me. That may not be best for commercial growers, but it suits me in multiple ways.

I don't want to hijack a thread here but in the name of wild life plantings, we must be diligent against invasive plants. I attended an invasive plant symposium last spring. My petpeeve is the callery pear. This tree is used by some nurseries as rootstock for other pears. As an upstate NYer who is just seeing it's spread into vacant fields, I was even more pissed that it's still readily available for wild life plantings in one form or another. Please be aware of this.

I don't want to hijack a thread here but in the name of wild life plantings, we must be diligent against invasive plants. I attended an invasive plant symposium last spring. My petpeeve is the callery pear. This tree is used by some nurseries as rootstock for other pears. As an upstate NYer who is just seeing it's spread into vacant fields, I was even more pissed that it's still readily available for wild life plantings in one form or another. Please be aware of this.

I am also leary about wildlife pears, Dr Deer pear,etc

Are they callery,bradfords in disguise?

bill

I am also leary about wildlife pears, Dr Deer pear,etc

Are they callery,bradfords in disguise?

bill
I am pretty sure they are. You won't get a definite answer if you ask. 😉

Using the Bradford pear as rootstock is common in the orchard setting where routine maintenance keeps everything growing below a graft in check. It's when the casual orchardist or wildlife planter uses this combination and it could be left unchecked that the invasive callery pear can spread.