My Land Tour...The Big Woods

Went out to the farm early this morning to plant some dill for the swallowtails and to see how things are going, also checked on the orchard.
Jumped a big doe by the front pond and what looked like a couple week old fawn in the pasture that wasn’t quite sure what I was.

The foxglove wildflowers are completely gone now, saw a lot of bergamot blooming and the black eyed Susan and coneflowers are just starting up. In two weeks it should be a show.
IMG_7797.jpeg
IMG_7799.jpeg
IMG_7798.jpeg

The Dunstan and Chinese chestnuts have started to put on small burs of what looks to be a nice crop.
IMG_7804.jpeg

Peaches are doing well
IMG_7805.jpeg

Apples and pears are putting it on in this warm weather.
IMG_7801.jpeg
IMG_7806.jpeg
IMG_7802.jpeg
IMG_7800.jpeg

And the Olympic/Korean giants are loaded this year! Can’t wait to get at them this fall.
IMG_7803.jpeg

Went out to the farm early this morning to plant some dill for the swallowtails and to see how things are going, also checked on the orchard.
Jumped a big doe by the front pond and what looked like a couple week old fawn in the pasture that wasn’t quite sure what I was.

The foxglove wildflowers are completely gone now, saw a lot of bergamot blooming and the black eyed Susan and coneflowers are just starting up. In two weeks it should be a show.
View attachment 65668
View attachment 65669
View attachment 65670

The Dunstan and Chinese chestnuts have started to put on small burs of what looks to be a nice crop.
View attachment 65671

Peaches are doing well
View attachment 65672

Apples and pears are putting it on in this warm weather.
View attachment 65673
View attachment 65674
View attachment 65675
View attachment 65676

And the Olympic/Korean giants are loaded this year! Can’t wait to get at them this fall.
View attachment 65677
NICE!!!!! Meadow and fruit trees look great. Did you sow that bergamot, or is it nature's wild stuff? Huge pollinator attraction - nice to have.

How do the deer hit your pears?? Do you folks eat any of the pears, or mostly for wildlife? Not familiar with either of the varieties you listed ........

Hope you got some rain out of that frontal passage. It cooled down a bit here, at least for a few days. Camp got a heavy thunderstorm Saturday evening, which we needed. Didn't get squat for rain here at home.

NICE!!!!! Meadow and fruit trees look great. Did you sow that bergamot, or is it nature's wild stuff? Huge pollinator attraction - nice to have.

How do the deer hit your pears?? Do you folks eat any of the pears, or mostly for wildlife? Not familiar with either of the varieties you listed ........

Hope you got some rain out of that frontal passage. It cooled down a bit here, at least for a few days. Camp got a heavy thunderstorm Saturday evening, which we needed. Didn't get squat for rain here at home.
Thanks

I think the bergamot was in a wildflower blend we put in years ago.
Deer absolutely love the pears, even over apples. They will bed under the pears waiting for the wind to blow them down…always have lots of deer beds under pears.

The Korean Giant-Olympic is the same variety just different names. It’s a later dropping Asian large pear that is my favorite eating pear above all others. Everyone that tries one ends up putting it at the top also, it has a slight crunch sweet nutty flavor and no grit. Keiffer used to be my favorite eating pear but is now at the #2 spot.
99% of the apples and pears in this orchard are for wildlife..except for the Olympics it’s 99% for us and I get the ladder for that one! Also my wife’s favorite.
I have three planted at the Little Woods but they are all younger trees that aren’t fruiting yet. I have noticed that the Olympic is more of a biannual pear at least for us here.

We had 1.75” of rain last Monday and .76” yesterday morning so along with the heat things are really growing here.
Hope you get some good rain at home this week Bows.

Thanks

I think the bergamot was in a wildflower blend we put in years ago.
Deer absolutely love the pears, even over apples. They will bed under the pears waiting for the wind to blow them down…always have lots of deer beds under pears.

The Korean Giant-Olympic is the same variety just different names. It’s a later dropping Asian large pear that is my favorite eating pear above all others. Everyone that tries one ends up putting it at the top also, it has a slight crunch sweet nutty flavor and no grit. Keiffer used to be my favorite eating pear but is now at the #2 spot.
99% of the apples and pears in this orchard are for wildlife..except for the Olympics it’s 99% for us and I get the ladder for that one! Also my wife’s favorite.
I have three planted at the Little Woods but they are all younger trees that aren’t fruiting yet. I have noticed that the Olympic is more of a biannual pear at least for us here.

We had 1.75” of rain last Monday and .76” yesterday morning so along with the heat things are really growing here.
Hope you get some good rain at home this week Bows.
Thanks for the info on pears. I only have eating experience with Kieffer and Bartlett.

Your properties are great habitat for many critters and bugs. Thanks for pics and info, H20!! I always enjoy checking in on your places.