Salvaging my corn plot - plan "B"

j-bird

Well as many of us have commented the monsoon that hit the midwest this year really took it's toll on my corn plots. I got everything planted just fine, but then it rained, and rained, and then rained some more. I thought about selling the tractor and building an ARK! I was unable to get into my plots to say the least. I wasn't able to apply the supplemental Urea like I normally do. I wasn't able to spray for weeds like I normally do. So what happened......not much! I got some UGLY corn! Many of my plots won't produce an ear it's that simple. However I didn't give up, I just changed the plan.

corn.jpg

You can see the ruts from when I was finally able to get into the plot to spray and apply Urea. You can also see where the water collected and grossly stunted the corn in the first picture. Now some may ask why spread the urea of the corn is shot? That is all part of plan B. The weeds burned down and now I have bare soil and lots of sunlight. This last weekend I walked every 3rd row with my handheld broadcaster and spread a mix of PTT, rape and radish. I will follow up with some wheat or rye in a month or so. Now, of all things, I need a rain shower!

I left the corn standing to help provide a sense of security in these plots. i considered rolling/mowing the corn, but if it produces anything it will be a plus and I think the security will help with the deer usage as well.

The biggest thing is I have a rookie deer hunter this year and she wants a deer something bad. My corn plots are overlooked by my shooting houses and the perfect place to take kids. So hopefully not only will the plan "B" part work but with a little luck I will be able to share some pics later in the season of my youngest daughter and her first deer as well!

2 years ago I salvaged a pathetic corn strip by overseeding with brassicas. Since I couldn't cultipack the brassica seeds in, the germination rate was far lower than I was used to. The brassica stand wasn't quite as thick as I would have liked it to be, but the lower density gave the plants room to grow and they were huge. I think you'll salvage your plot and be pretty happy with the results.

Well I went out today to see how the plots where doing and to overseed my rye. The brassica is a couple inches tall and seems to be doing as I expected. I broadcast my rye and I am now getting a good steady shower of rain:). Hopefully I can still produce some food to keep the deer interested.
N plotbrassica.jpg

With a little luck hopefully I can get a harvest pic with my daughter and her first deer this year because of my efforts to salvage this disaster.

Nice work j-bird!

Looking good.

That looks like an excellent combo.

Thanks guys. Next pics will hopefully have some rye .......a dead deer.......and one happy little girl in it! I have done this with soybeans before - this is my first swing with corn.....well what was supposed to be corn.