Standing corn for deer

Do any of you overseed the corn with a cereal grain in the fall? If so, before or after you knock the corn down? Seems like there would be a good amount of residue to contend with for soil contact, but depending on the success of the corn it could be challenging to broadcast into 8' tall standing corn. Thoughts?
When I have corn along the woods I broadcast brassicas in between closest four or five rows in late July.
Here it’s mostly just sugar beets.

Well, I mowed and seemingly overnight the plot is on fire. Good times. 8 bucks and 1 doe fawn the next night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious about that. What if it’s mowed early to make lanes or small areas to plant other food plot seed? Is I the act of mowing that’s disallowed or is it the fact you’re putting food on the ground because of mowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not sure where the line is drawn, but I was told that you are fine to hunt over any standing crops or plots. But if they are manipulated by mowing or driving over them, then it is considered baiting in Minnesota. I'm assuming that is primarily directed at mowing mature crops that would scatter the seed, so it may or may not apply to mowing something in the summer.

There's enought gaps between chopped stalks for rye. Id mix in some red clover while your brosdcasting.

Make a 12v spreader mount for the front of the tractor, or the brush hog if you got alot to mow.

Might be legal grey area between all mowed and partially mowed.

My deer here are experts with corn. They push it down with their front foot to eat.

The field im at got harvested nov 12th or so. Still corn bits in here. They give uo at a certain point? Deer are tough after opening weekend of rifle. Not sure if its more than just pressure. Harvest dates are all over the place here. Late october to christmas week. One year he didnt harvest. Thid years acorns were decent here in NY. Lots of august / sept rain.

Beats hunting at home since the 2020 EHD outbreak.

Last edited: