Drilling Corn Into Clover

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I have a clover plot that is on its last leg. I can rent a drill from the county and am considering drilling corn directly into what clover is left this spring. I will spray it with gly to kill weeds, then drill. Any suggestions or pros/cons on this plan? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beans might work better ? But I think I will work …

I think it sounds like a great plan. I would do a soil test because corn can be very demanding in terms of nutrients, and nitrogen has a tendency to not linger too long in the soil. But otherwise it's probably what I would do in your situation. There's nothing like a cut corn field in Ohio.

Everytime time I have tried to drill beans or corn into standing clover, have had very poor germination rates. Would be best to kill the clover then drill corn. Clover would be dying back as corn is germinating giving better results.

County renting a corn seeder? They usually only rent seed drills. Some general grain and grass seed drills have issues with corn. The size of the seed, and the spead distance between seeds. People have planted corn well before the vacuum style seed meter. Not all fluted seed cups handle corn that well.

Corn needs alot of nutrients to grow properly. Typical results aren't too great without significant amount of fertilizer.

What is making the clover a the end of it's life? Certain weeds? How fast / tall is the clover getting. Any idea on variety of clovers?

County renting a corn seeder? They usually only rent seed drills. Some general grain and grass seed drills have issues with corn. The size of the seed, and the spead distance between seeds. People have planted corn well before the vacuum style seed meter. Not all fluted seed cups handle corn that well.

Corn needs alot of nutrients to grow properly. Typical results aren't too great without significant amount of fertilizer.

What is making the clover a the end of it's life? Certain weeds? How fast / tall is the clover getting. Any idea on variety of clovers?
Clover gets thin and weedy because of the amount of N in the soil. Rotating it to corn, brassica, or cereals for a year is a great idea and then put it right back into clover after those crops use up the N.

I think these guys can spray strips to get the corn going. I don't know how much luck you'd have without an opening of some sort. Surely Foggy can get the welder out and mount a tank, motor, and some nozzles and get a 6" strip sprayed in front of each row unit.

I thought he was trying to terminate the clover before drilling the corn.

Note that clover is somewhat resistant to Gly. Gly will set it back, but clover usually recovers. It does on mine.

Note that clover is somewhat resistant to Gly. Gly will set it back, but clover usually recovers. It does on mine.

Should he add 2,4D or substitute it for gly if he wants to terminate the clover?

Should he add 2,4D or substitute it for gly if he wants to terminate the clover?

I have had success by adding the 2,4D in the spray tank with Gly.

The clover is on its 5th year, so it has run its course. The plan is to kill the clover that is left and then drill into it. The reason I went to clover in the first place was I was having some issues with pig weed, so I would rather not break the ground unless I have to.

VV

Uusally clover makes alot of nitrogen. But sometimes, folks fertilize when putting a clover plot in, and sometimes the soil might be lacking something. Done 3 year rotations pretty much before I found this site.

2,4 D and gly is liquid death. Pretty much nothing lives past that combination of the 2. If often said 2,4 D has about 2 weeks of residual effect. May want to wait a week and a rain or two before planting the corn. Personally, I'd like clover to come back if growing corn. Green farming practices aren't as popular as just planting a winter crop, but planting clover into corn is a recommended practice. I'd hit it with gly only and then plant right away.

Could get roundup ready corn. I'd give that a shot, pigweed can be a real stubborn animal.

I'd research how the drill they rent works with corn.

Also, agree with 2,4d with the gly to kill the clover.

That is the good part. If it were me I would want 60” corn rows. Drill seed, wait 2-3 weeks, spray 2oz gly per gallon, wait 3-4 weeks, spray again with same cocktail, wait a couple of days, and broadcast a rate and a half of a good clover chicory blend and enjoy.