Sad survivor

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Started getting this deer in about July last year on a new farm. Obviously missing his lower leg. Looked really poor. Saw him twice out of the stand and it was pitiful. I really wanted to put him out of his misery but with one buck tag I couldn’t do it. Tried to get a buddies son to take him but he never showed. Well I was shocked when I pulled a card yesterday and he’s still hopping along
IMG_0639.jpeg
IMG_0199.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg

I had one just like that several years ago. He just disappeared in early fall and then showed back up in January on a corn pile survey, He looked horrible. Was missing the same portion of leg on same leg and really scarred up. My guess he got hit by a vehicle. He survived and actually thrived into the next year. He turned into a 5x4 with a drop tine that next season. I passed him as I thought he had earned it but my wife couldn't pass up the drop tine. He was 4.5 and had been on our farm since he was 1.5 for sure.

The accident must have messed up his throat because when he grunted it was the most hoarse sound I've ever heard a buck make while chasing does.

We had one missing his front leg a few years back for several years. I found several sheds off of him. I always felt bad for him, but he ended up being a BRUTE! Neighbors watched him fight and win against several bucks. They are amazing creatures…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had one missing his front leg a few years back for several years. I found several sheds off of him. I always felt bad for him, but he ended up being a BRUTE! Neighbors watched him fight and win against several bucks. They are amazing creatures…

That’s incredible. I’m actually now curious what he becomes. He has a decent frame so who knows now.

That’s incredible. I’m actually now curious what he becomes. He has a decent frame so who knows now.

I will say, his rack got worse every year, but his body ended up quite big. We saw him for like 3-4 years after we discovered him. He was probably at least 2, maybe 3 by then. So he was somewhere between 5 and 7 that last year. Then he disappeared.

We had a three legged doe on a lease for a couple of years. Last time I saw her she was healthy and had a big fawn with her. They are tough !

Ihave seen several,and they are always missing at a joint.Some have lived and I found 1 fawn that had lower back leg dead while shed hunting.I think probably from running through woods

I had multiple years of encounters with one missing the rear leg just like the one posted above. Passed shots on him multiple times. Finally thought he was big enough to harvest and enjoyed having the history with him. Unfortunately the coyotes got him prior to the next season.

MY next door neighbor had a 3 legged dog. He was missing his riear leg from a car accident. That dog could run as fast as my WPG. Happy and friendly critter too. He'd come down and play like a puppy with my dogs.

If you're a quadriped and have to lose a leg, a rear is best... 60% of body weight is borne on the front limbs... there's a lot less stress on joints if they're only missing a rear.