Rough day in the swamp

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
Yesterday was supposed to be easy. Just load an empty container on a flatbed, drive it up the hill to the garden, then spend some time in the woods and head home.

Against my better judgement, I went along for the ride in the truck instead of spotting for the driver as I'd offered. I had a 8' wide road, truck wheels were about 7'9". Doable, but no room for error.

20150922_100058.jpg

Mark's standing where the truck should've driven. He claimed to feel the rear slide, but he actually drove the front off first. Missed it by about 2'.

20150922_100243.jpg

The tractor pulled until the shoulder gave out under the spinning rear wheels of the truck. Now it's on the pumpkin and really stuck. Time to call the boss.

Who being mad, promptly drives off the road upon arrival...

20150922_103537.jpg

After getting the blue truck back on the road, we couldn't budge the flatbed with it, so I suggested taking the container off thinking if it was lighter we might be able to pull it out the other side with the tractor. That is eventually what happened - more on that in a bit.

20150922_113619.jpg

20150922_121733.jpg

So we got the container off without flipping it (which was hairy for a bit), and dragged it out.

20150922_124717.jpg

Although I don't recommend it, a 20' container does a lovely job as a drag. :D

20150922_124721.jpg

Flatbed had worked lower with the attempts to use the stinger to lift itself out, and the blue truck wasn't budging it. After snapping 2 cables, it was time to bring in some muscle, kinda.

20150922_141926.jpg

This is a class 8 wrecker. It's what you recover/tow a loaded 80,000# semi with. Big truck, big winches, and 100% Bad Ass - except this one needs new gears in it's winches, and the guys say the hydraulic pump is shot. They supposedly have a different truck with better winches and more cable on the spools, but the boss (who was driving the blue truck) explicitly said to bring this one. I was next to him when he made the call.

Eventually, after snatch blocking off a tree and getting the truck pulled back onto the top of the road with the big wrecker, we decided to try pulling the flatbed forward with the tractor, drive it up the hill, bring the tractor back down and repair the road, then drive the flatbed out. I spotted him this trip through the swamp road. That worked like a charm.

So now my container is out of the in-laws yard, but it's on the shoulder of the street and can't stay there long either. We're expecting rain this afternoon, so the plan is for the guys to come back Friday and we'll get it up to the garden then. I wanted to move it before the rain so we didn't end up sliding a truck into a tree. Things should be good by Friday even if we get a soaker.

I need a new culvert.

20150922_161946.jpg

WOW and you kept your cool the entire time. Don't know if I could have.

Getting mad wouldn't solve anything. I'm pretty sure Chris (boss man) will step up to replace/fix the culvert (or my insurance company will get it out of them).

I made the noobie driver (the surgeon has left the company for greener pastures :( ) walk the entire trip to verify I hadn't overlooked anything before starting. He knew it was tight, but very do-able.

I'd be nice to get a couple more loads of fill and widen the last stretch where he went off, and just before it, but that's $350 I don't have.

Sadly, I had taken the winch off in the driveway at the cabin or we could've used it to pull the truck.

I've been around long enough to want to see the whole picture before starting anything.

I've got some low spots on the hill I was more concerned with than making it over the swamp. The garden's also a bit lumpy yet on the "pull out" side where the flatbed needs to go after dropping the container.

I'm glad I had the foresight to keep the tractor over there. It pretty much saved the day with the last pull. :)

I just wish I'd been insistant on being his eyes out front - none of this would've happened.

It's currently dumping buckets of rain on us, the tv's out, and there's a lovely light show outside. I'd rather still be in bed. :D Can't sleep with the steel roof and all this noise. :(

That IS a rough day in the swamp. Glad you got things taken care of without major damage. The challenges of navigating wetlands just never seems to really go away completely, does it?

I'm surprised that they are willing to come back out for another attempt instead of telling you to find someone else for the job.

What's the plan for the box when u get it to where it's going?

I would leave the culvert as is. The first loaded log truck or trailer full of wood this winter is going to fold that culvert up like a pretzel again if the road isn't fixed properly. Need way more width and dirt on top of that culvert. Road needs to be wide, so the base does not continue to be pushed out sideways with each pass of a vehicle. I would at least corduroy each side of that culvert if not the whole road through that swamp before attempting anything like that again, especially on a road that narrow. But that's just me. I have never used Taconite as road base, just wondering if those round pellets will move more than other base as the road gets used more and more. Hopefully it works out better on the next try getting the storage container in.

I would leave the culvert as is. The first loaded log truck or trailer full of wood this winter is going to fold that culvert up like a pretzel again if the road isn't fixed properly. Need way more width and dirt on top of that culvert. Road needs to be wide, so the base does not continue to be pushed out sideways with each pass of a vehicle. I would at least corduroy each side of that culvert if not the whole road through that swamp before attempting anything like that again, especially on a road that narrow. But that's just me. I have never used Taconite as road base, just wondering if those round pellets will move more than other base as the road gets used more and more. Hopefully it works out better on the next try getting the storage container in.

I think he was using tailings, which is the crushed waste rock. Usually pretty finely crushed and somewhat sandy and gritty.

http://www.lrrb.org/media/reports/NONE15_Task3_TaconiteBrochure.pdf

I think my LP delivery guy would struggle to keep all 4 wheels on an 8' driveway with any curve to it.

Other than a young driver, I don't know one truck driver that would attempt that road for any purpose. Just to much money at stake on 4 wheels.

Jim

Tough day for sure. I think we have all got stuff stuck when it could of been prevented. I know I have. LOL

Jim

Tough day for sure. I think we have all got stuff stuck when it could of been prevented. I know I have. LOL

No doubt, all of us!

Oh yes for sure! Way to keep your head Jim!

The tailings I have would be crushed and smelted were they mined today. These are from a mine that closed in the 70's and probably have 7% ore yet. It's coarser and denser than class 5. I have chunks over 5" of quartz and other stone. It's great base.

As for the cover on my culverts. The one he mashed had 12" and is probably 9" now. The one remaining still has 12". I'm on a 7T axle limit road. There's no self-loading log trucks coming in or out. My swamp road is narrow right now, but as soon as I can get about 10 cord out to the mill, I can buy more fill. I'm the one driving it there.

Other than a young driver, I don't know one truck driver that would attempt that road for any purpose. Just to much money at stake on 4 wheels.

The noobie wouldn't drive the flatbed back out again empty even though I fixed the ruts and holes. The guy with 15yrs experience is the one who said he'd come back and move it Friday.

Not all of it is 8' wide, just the narrowest spot.

What's the plan for the box when u get it to where it's going?

The container houses my tractor. Rodent-free storage until I get a pole shed.

That's why I built my shed where it needed to go in the first place. Those containers aren't an easy thing to move. I would of just dragged it where u wanted it and been done.

I have a name for that road thru that swamp: Trail of Tears Ave. You sure have persevered allot of events there.