Rough day in the swamp

That's why I built my shed where it needed to go in the first place. Those containers aren't an easy thing to move. I would of just dragged it where u wanted it and been done.

Couldn't get my little atv trailer to where that is with a load on it until I built the swamp road, and I needed the tractor to do that.

"Trail of tears" is funny but not even remotely accurate from my perspective. I built my shop surrounding my 32nd b-day in 2007. When my concrete guy thrashed my sprinkler system, his statement was "you're going to have some collateral damage on a project this size." That was a 24x35' slab 100' from a city street across a manicured lawn. ;) I'm forging through land that's never seen rubber in my lifetime at the earliest in recent history. And I'm near certain the swamp road has never seen an atv prior to mine.

Whiny neighbors, water, and gravity aren't enough to make me slow my roll... You'll have to cease my pulse to extinguish my determination - this mo-fo's got heart! ;)

Called the Mrs. and checked to see where we are on $$$ and then Scott to bring me a couple more loads. He's coming this afternoon. If he took plastic, it'd be easier, but he's a green kind of guy; at least when it comes to getting paid anyway. He likes his diesel too much to be the other kind of green. :D

Last edited:
Jim how long is your swamp road?

250' give or take.

That's why I built my shed where it needed to go in the first place. Those containers aren't an easy thing to move. I would of just dragged it where u wanted it and been done.
I also have a container for my shed. Yes I could have built a shed on the cheap with a dirt floor. But I wanted more security & something that was rodent free, the container was the perfect fit. Yes it's not the easiest thing to more but it can be done. I have trespassers on camera looking at mine, kids having a beer party under the lean to I built on it. I'm sure if it would have been a shed they would have tried to get in. The trespasser & kids where dealt with & I doubt they will be back.

This was shot today before my fill came. It's the very edge of the garden, all the way down to the street.

Just wrapped up 2.5 more hours of rock'n'roll (get it? :D ). Scott showed up at 5 and I walked in the door at 7:50. His wife (second driver) wanted to see the progress up the hill and I talked to Scott about the damaged tube and how to approach fixing it, and what he'll charge the tow company to place another one. They rolled out at 5:21 and I got to work.

20150923_172118.jpg

The road's a bunch wider now, and all the ruts are gone. :) Thank God for my LEDs! I'm sure my neighbors are cursing them. I had no trouble working in the dark.

My dump wagon would have work really good for you. That thing is slick for hauling. Sure beats hauling fill by the bucket full.

Not really. I don't have enough room or maneuverability to spread fill to the edges from a full bucket. So I vary the load from side to side in how I scoop it depending on where it needs to go. Sure beats shoveling!

WOW Jim that's a lonnnnnng day right there!
I do believe Jim's more of a night owl.

Stuck trucks in the swamp was 7.5hrs. Motoring fill to fix the road was 2.5 the day after the stuck. Tonight I didn't look to see when we dragged the flatbed out of the garden, but it was getting dark. Maybe 7? They got here around 5:40.

Ended up pulling the flatbed with the tractor to help turn it around. Also used the tractor to shove the container almost into position, but needed to winch it the last 5' to the tree line. So close!

It's a mud pit in the garden right now, and we needed to winch the flatbed up the hill with the container on it because of a couple slick spots. The twin truck method was definitely the way to go. Then having the tractor was icing on the cake. Even the tow guys are impressed with what that thing can pull.

I didn't take any pics. The boss is also planning on fixing the culvert, so there's no drama on the horizon. :)

When I stopped in to Zeigler to check on a mini excavator rental, those guys had their own horror stories about the noobie. :eek: Mark is famous! Lol Then they found out about another incident involving the sheriff and moving a shed where he got stuck in a field when he could've stayed on pavement. o_O

Tomorrow I need to get the mess on the floor cleaned up and do some grading to get rid of the ruts. Feels good to have it up there at long last.

Glad it worked out better for you today.

Me too! :D

......for your next project.....perhaps a vibratory packer would solidify that road? I heard dipper is looking for work......he's a green bay fan.....and he lives east of the big river. ;)

Last edited:
My road has handled a 42,000# tandem axle dump truck. The only problem was noobie drove off the edge of it.

Tonight it handled a 19,000# flat bed and a 9,000# f650.

The bare, muddy, dirt going up the hill and in the garden were the issues tonight, and both tow drivers decided to go for it when I said they could wave it off if they thought it'd be trouble - both said "we're here, lets do it," and we got it done.

That's the kind of day when you want to go back to the house, pour yourself a high-ball, and relax in the knowledge that it's finally over.

Yep, I slept good last night knowing the ordeal is over. Just need the culvert fixed before the swamp freezes and we can all laugh at the noobie. :D

I wish there was a decent cigar shop up here. I'd love a stogie by the fire tonight.

There's smoke shops, but they don't store their wares well - had a couple a few years back that were bone dry and got to pay too much for them to boot.

Maybe you should have rolled out own.

I swore off smoking a number of years ago. Smoked quite a few cigars at one time.....no longer. Cant remember the last time I had a cigar....no desire these days.

But I have seen what looks to be a good cigar store. It's adjacent to Westside Liquors in Baxter MN. East side of 371 about a mile north of Menards. I think it's run by the Liquor store folks....but its got a separate entry. No guarantees. The liquor store has FREE wine and beer tasting on some Thursdays. :D

reply x prohibited[?]
Posted: 12 days ago

◀ prev next ▶
print
J.D crawler loader - $2200 (mcgregor)
01414_4dAwm1VlkhC_600x450.jpg

5788.png
5789.png
5788.png
5788.png
5789.png
5789.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

safety tips

j.d. 440 crawler loader. 253 detroit . runs good but needs steering cultches. have some parts.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Jim.....just saw this and thought of you. Just think of all the stumps you could push out with a deal like this. A little fixing....and.....more fixing.....and....at some point a good machine to do what need doing.

The parts for a lot of those are obsolete (especially the clutches). "Just needs ____" = parts machine if you already got one.

I saw that listing a couple hours after it posted, and didn't mention it here because JD doesn't support their 70's vintage dry clutch skid steers, and this is older yet.