Rotations

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
I'm curious to know what everybody's crop rotations are in their plots. From spring to fall and year to year. I've heard that you shouldn't plant brassica's year in and year out. Is that in general or can you plant radishes one year and turnips the next?

I tried to do a spring/summer plot this year with buckwheat and sunflowers but it was a total failure. Got the buckwheat seed from a local farmer. Not sure what happened but very little sprouted.

Side question. Can buckwheat seed be frost seeded?

Radish, turnips, rape, are all in the brassica family as is kale and others. It all depends on how they are used. A pound of them per acre in a mix with other forage should be ok yearly but a planting of all brassicas yearly could spell trouble. Its best to rotate crops for soil health. Look up Ray the soil guy on youtube and crimson and clovers throw and mow on this site. Buckwheat is frost sensitive so must be planted after or to come up after your last frost date. Hope this helps, good luck

It will all depend on your equipment.

The Lickcreek (Paul Knox) threads are about the best examples of rotations out there. IE - Brassicas alternated with cereal grains each fall.

No, you cannot frost seed buckwheat. It must be planted when the soil temps reach 65 F or so like any other warm season annual crop.

I rotate cereal grain mix and a brassica mix, uaually the brassicas are eaten to the ground so when I can get on the field I'll broadcast a clover mix and oats then cultipack it in and terminate this come Aug when I palnt the cereal grains. I also have a sorghum mix I'd like to start rotating into this but I haven't yet. This is Paul Knox's (Dbltree or Lickcreek ) rotation.

Sorghum mix left, brassicas then a clover/alfalfa mix with cereal grains going far right.

2n0yJdF.jpg

This was the bassica mix the next spring, broadcast clover and oats and actually left this clover because it came in so well.

DwRsQVh.jpg

I love the look of a cultipacked plot^^^^^^^

bill

I am strictly hand tools only at the moment.
I have an atv. Trying to find a cultipacker for it. My plot and future plots are small. All less than 1/8th acre.

I have an atv. Trying to find a cultipacker for it. My plot and future plots are small. All less than 1/8th acre.
I've used my ATV to pack the seeds in by driving back and forth across the polt moving one tire width over on smaller plots, works like a cultipacker until you can get one.

I rotate cereal grain mix and a brassica mix, uaually the brassicas are eaten to the ground so when I can get on the field I'll broadcast a clover mix and oats then cultipack it in and terminate this come Aug when I palnt the cereal grains. I also have a sorghum mix I'd like to start rotating into this but I haven't yet. This is Paul Knox's (Dbltree or Lickcreek ) rotation.

Sorghum mix left, brassicas then a clover/alfalfa mix with cereal grains going far right.

2n0yJdF.jpg

This was the bassica mix the next spring, broadcast clover and oats and actually left this clover because it came in so well.

DwRsQVh.jpg
This is my first time planting his mix...seeing your pics made me happy. Ive been thrilled so far.

I am strictly hand tools only at the moment.
As mentioned above, the Lickcreek rotations will work well with little to no equipment.