Root Dip

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone used the polymer root dip for moisture retention? I'd like to plant about 10 to 20 oak seedlings next spring in a spot that would be hard to get water to. I was thinking of using the root dip and mulching to help them through the first year.

I have never used it on anything but shrubs and Christmas trees. I cant say that it does or doesn't help but for the relatively minimal added cost I think it is worth doing on mass plantings where you might not be able to water everything. I did see the results of a study on Christmas tree seedling planting and they concluded that it didnt make any significant difference. Their biggest finding was making sure the roots stay damp before going into the ground, dont let them be exposed to air and sun for any length of time.

It didn’t help the 25 white spruce I used it on this year. They all died. Granted the drought was terrible and I gave them no water.

You still need rain for the root dip to work. Mulching will help retain moisture in the ground better.

I would get a 250 gallon “ pod” in a cage. Fill it with water near the trees. Pods are about $40 around me.

Attachments

• 6AF3CE6F-C4AA-44FC-B355-1D89905F0ED6.jpeg
    6AF3CE6F-C4AA-44FC-B355-1D89905F0ED6.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 12