Soil Moist

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
Anyone use this when planting bare root fruit tree seedlings?

I noticed it on The Wildlife Group website

A water storing polymer type product to conserve water

bill

bill
I’ve tried and haven’t seen the difference. I think if you can’t water right away putting on roots can help keep them moist for transport and such.

I’ve started using the dips with fungi and bacteria. We will see how that goes.

There are many different brands of the same product. We use it on our Christmas tree plantings. I feel likes it makes a difference though I have no scientific proof of such. For the relatively low cost per seedling for us I don't see a reason not too. If nothing else it helps keep the roots moist as was mentioned above.

Not fruit trees but dogwood and pine. I could see the usefulness of this if you cant water your plant when you need to for the 1st yer.

These were treated by the county soil and water for their sale. Treated trees did great.

IF you can work the soil in the area, other amendments might be better. Especially if your soil is real sandy or heavy clay. Pearlite, vermiculite, peat moss. At camp I add vermiculite and a 5 gallon bucket of clay soil to the sandy soil. Vermiculite was purchased for propogating apple cuttings. It didn't work, so I used that stuff to help out a few trees.

It depends on the type of soil and depth of the topsoil.

I mix a bit of pel lime in on heavier black soils, and use water sorb and more pel lime as I get away from the better soil. I have checked the pH over quite a few locations.

I don’t bother to plant real Sandy soils.

bill
I used a 5 in 1 product last year that had it formulation. It got pretty dry in PA last year in April/May, and we didn't lose any of the dozen or so trees we planted. My dad only watered them once.

I’ve tried and haven’t seen the difference. I think if you can’t water right away putting on roots can help keep them moist for transport and such.

I’ve started using the dips with fungi and bacteria. We will see how that goes.
How are you mixing ?

bill

Just ordered this

Will give it a try

bill
Cool. I planted about 25 bareroot in pouches this fall and will plant them out this next fall, I’ll update this thread with how they do.