Mychorrizal root dip

b116757

5 year old buck +
I picked up a 3oz package of Mychorrizal root dip to dip my tree roots in just before planting anyone else used it? Thoughts on its effectiveness?? The stuff I have is a jel that coats the roots.

Following.

I use the powder stuff by the pound. Find it easy just to shake on. If a little spills in the hole, oh well. That's were I want it.

I have been wondering as well if it is worth it.

I used it for first time last spring when I planted 1500 trees and shrubs. I had the best 1st season survival rate I've ever had. Upper 90 percent were alive and well last August

Is there a certain brand better then others?

Mine came from TreePro I just added it to grow tube order.

I used it for first time last spring when I planted 1500 trees and shrubs. I had the best 1st season survival rate I've ever had. Upper 90 percent were alive and well last August

You should have done it on every other tree to see if you could notice a statistical difference with that many trees.

Fake gimmick powder. Damn near every plant out there already supports and associates with MF. The only reason a person would need to buy it is if they did something to kill it ahead of time.

If you really want to try to add something, grab a bucket of soil from under a solid stand of tag alder or poplar, and innoculate your planting hole with a spoon full of live soil from a known host in your own ecosystem. That's about your best chance at adding value.

Last edited:
The way I understand it is potting soil is essentially sterile.

Garden soil / soil amendments are not by definition sterile.

I mixed potting soil/ garden soil/ my native soil from the pre dug holes and let that sit for a few weeks to get some microbe growth.

I didn’t dip the roots in the powder but used the mycrohzial ( I had a granular and a clay powder) in two ways.

the granular I mixed in the soil mixture, the powder I added to the water I used when planting.

but they all got it.

some pots got earthworms most did not.

I’m planting in a old cattle pasture that hasn’t seen trees in 100+ years I figured trying it couldn’t hurt. I do like the idea of every other tree getting dipped. I may go ahead and try that on a couple different tree species in this years planting to see if I can tell a difference. I could use a permanent marker and make a mark on each tree tube denoting not dipped on the control trees.

The gel dip may have beneficial stuff added to it. But, the major reason for the gel is to keep the foots moist. Roots going dry are the worst problem to trees.

I dibble the hole open, put the agrifrom tabs in, fill the hole with water, put the plant in. I usually put a small handful of soil right over the roots, Close up the hole wioth the dibble. Then, I play in the mud.... I push the open wound in the ground with my hands, basically seal it up with mud I am making.

I havent used any powders or gels. But, I would save the gel for the package of plants that came out of the bag on the dry side. That's the real survival rate killer there..... The gel works long after the intial watering inside the soil to keep those roots moist.

I do not plant and monster ones...... I put them in pots, shade them a bit, and plant them in the dead spots..... When you watch the ones that dies, see how big they are. The smaller the better.

I dont plant hundreds anymore. I do 75 or 100. IF you dont have the time do it right, the will suffer. I also cut cardboard I have laying around inot 2ft square and use it like landscaping fabric. I go to the store and buy mulch when its on clearance in the fall.

I got a 55 gallon drum with a hose and valve on it. I can drive by the plantings and water them easily during a dry spell.