Red Osier Cuttings - Propagating Bed/box - fall update/results

cavey

5 year old buck +
Thought I would update a prior thread..... This worked out good enough that I'm going to build a couple more propagating beds. The cuttings were done in the early spring but I was unable to get them planted right away . Despite the late start I think overall the growth has been good. We're going into the fall and I will over winter the red osier cuttings in the raised bed... the next question will be how well they over winter... I should have pulled a couple to check on root growth but from past experience with cuttings in plastic bags just siting on the ground there should be a good survival rate.

Attachments

• IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    676.2 KB · Views: 35
Just curious, if you put that single "stick" in the ground, how long until it propagates and becomes a shrub of substance? I'm assuming you hide those amongst other plantings and don't cage them. I'm interested in adding some ROD to my land.

Their really about the same as any other shrub as far as growth rate (most people buy them as bare root stock with roots - this summer its really about building roots on these cuttings), and they (RO) are fairly fast growing, these were planted two months later than they should have been so they are not showing what I would call a normal amount of growth. Had the cuttings been put in the soil in early May they would likely be a foot to two foot tall by now, next year they will take off and be two foot plus. I wouldnt really say red osier gets bushy - its more limb/branchy and gets a bush like look from clusters of stems with branches clumped together, once multiple shoots come up they start to really get that bush look but it takes a few years to get to there... after being heavily browsed and chewed back it gets somewhat bushy which is what im looking for with these plantings. For one I like the color in the landscape and two deer browse the hell out of it lastly any that do get older produce berries that are good for other wildlife but that is only a end point benefit.

Im going for a volume thing with these and wont be hiding them at all - their for browse and the goal is for them to get eaten and held back I really dont care if they get tall and actually would prefer them to get munched on. The goal is to plant enough volume that the deer do not wipe them out but keep them in check. Once red osier gets bigger/older it starts to lose its distinctive red color and I intend to cut it back to keep young new shoots coming up.

I plan on planting them as part of my goal of feathered out edging of wood lines and shrub areas; areas where I can every so often mow or cut them back if they get to tall ... in some other areas I intend to create browse corridors with these and other browse preferred shrubs.

Cavey,

Please describe your "set up".......dimensions,materials,growth medium,etc

thanks,

bill

Cavey,

Please describe your "set up".......dimensions,materials,growth medium,etc

thanks,

bill

Tree Daddy, Its as simple as it gets......2"x12" treated, 3'x10' with a center 2"x12" board for added for strength in the middle (might even be just a 2x10)... splitting it into two "boxes", 3'x10' 1/4" mesh wire cloth to keep rodents from coming up from the bottom, wire mesh is secured by 3/4"x1-1/2" treated strips nailed to bottom edge. Lumber is screwed together . Because red osier loves wet soil I lined it with poly; and filled it with sand from a neighbors back forty sand pit.

Its just sand - I do want to try one with a more coarse sand/fine gravel, there is no reason why you couldn't use another medium I just wanted to be able to pull these as bare roots and have seen others using sand or gravel for that purpose. It might be better to use a bit of a soil mix with the sand for some added nutrients or maybe some miracle gro during watering... note below on watering.

I took the cuttings and stuck them in - 2 to 3 buds in and 2 buds out ish... and walked away, I have done zero watering and zero weeding (we have had decent rains this year - it was dry for just a bit but when I checked the sand it was still moist. Its under a shade tree, had it not been I would have made a frame above and over the box and covered it with snow fence to act as shade. Im very happy with it, overwintering will be the next test, Im leaving them as is and will see what pops up this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_2705.JPG
    IMG_2705.JPG
    717.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: