Received first tree order with great disappointment

Maybe I missed it, but what varieties were they? I have an heirloom variety (Grimes Golden) and I was not charged more, nor were they smaller than any other trees I normally get. That company is full of .....!

Maybe I missed it, but what varieties were they? I have an heirloom variety (Grimes Golden) and I was not charged more, nor were they smaller than any other trees I normally get. That company is full of .....!

Ashmeads Kernell, Blue Permain, King David, Belle De Boskoop, Caville Blanc, Canadian Strawberry, and Cox Orange Pippin.

Here are my trees that came from Grandpas Orchard on Tuesday and went in the ground Wednesday. Do you see a little difference? And, they were far less expensive. IMG_7017.JPGIMG_7020.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They look a little more spry

Those are some nice trees,I wasted several years ordering trophy pear trees from Morse,if they were fire blight resistant I would hate to see one that wasn't.I ended up cutting all but 1 down that i kept cutting back and seems alittle better

They have been in business for a LONG time their owner is a very famous apple tree guy so to speak.

Dude all I can say is never go away from Cummins or Adams County nurseries price is way better and they have the best trees. I have been ordering from them for 8 years now and never had trees look like that. I would ask for some money back on those trees

I can 2nd what @WTNUT posted, grandpas has very nice stock, their shipping is usually quite high however even to me & i'm in the same state.

I agree wholeheartedly with @aerospacefarmer about Cummins there stuff is amazing, I have no personal experience with ACN. I bet SLN has quite nice of stock also.

What rootstock did you get @WTNUT ?

I can 2nd what @WTNUT posted, grandpas has very nice stock, their shipping is usually quite high however even to me & i'm in the same state.

I agree wholeheartedly with @aerospacefarmer about Cummins there stuff is amazing, I have no personal experience with ACN. I bet SLN has quite nice of stock also.

What rootstock did you get @WTNUT ?

All but one of those trees were peaches, prunes and cherries. What is most amazing is all but two of those trees were what they called “ugly trees” or something like that. They were about $12 a tree.

They have been in business for a LONG time their owner is a very famous apple tree guy so to speak.

Dude all I can say is never go away from Cummins or Adams County nurseries price is way better and they have the best trees. I have been ordering from them for 8 years now and never had trees look like that. I would ask for some money back on those trees

Oh I will never be back to Fedco. I have bought many from ACN, none from Cummings. As noted above the “ugly trees” I got from Grandpas orchard were about $12 per tree for me, give or take. As for ACN, I always had good service but did have a larger percentage of their trees that did not make it a year. They always replaced without question, but when I had greater success with Grandpas Orchard and the trees were larger diameter (generally) I just went to them.

Just as a point of reference WTNUT, I picked up these apples at Cummins yesterday. Price per tree ranged from $19 for least expensive, to $28 something for most expensive. Nice root balls on each. I think our shared experiences help identity the good nurseries, from the not so good. I'm glad you started this thread.0418181446.jpg0418181449.jpg0418181446.jpg0418181449.jpg

I got 4 leftovers Northern Spy from the local county conservation district for 14 bucks from Boyer nursery in Pa and the trees look great on m111. If you are in PA check out your local county conservation districts who run these sales annually and you can get some great trees. Varieties are limited but you can usually pick one you might like to try. They also have peach and pear trees as well. Give Boyer a look as I have many great trees producing every year now from them through the tree sale program

Just as a point of reference WTNUT, I picked up these apples at Cummins yesterday. Price per tree ranged from $19 for least expensive, to $28 something for most expensive. Nice root balls on each. I think our shared experiences help identity the good nurseries, from the not so good. I'm glad you started this thread.View attachment 18017View attachment 18018View attachment 18017View attachment 18018

Yes those are nice! I started to order some from them this year. It seems as though they have a large percentage of trees that sell out quick. But, that is probably a sign of a good nursery.

Most things I've bought from Cummins have been great but a few have been disappointing. In my first order, there was a cherry I paid top price for but it was not quite 36" tall and had 1 root on it. It started to leaf out late but was dead by August even with some watering. And a couple rootstocks last year had no roots either. When they are only picking a few rootstocks, you know they saw they grabbed one with no roots on it and still went ahead and shipped it anyway.

I will echo that Cummins runs a tight ship. I guess everywhere slips once in awhile, but I've only had a single tree, a Franklin, that didn't make it from there. And the tree looked to be okay when it arrived, it just never leafed out. Full disclosure though, I've only been doing this for a few years. I have a friend who raves about Waflers on the L. Ontario shoreline. Their prices are less than Cummins but their selection isn't generally as diverse.

I just received my order from SNL. I received 11 trees in what looks like a package one tree would come in. They are smaller than a pencil, nothing like what I have received from them in the past. It might actually work out for the best because I still have 2' of snow and I am going to FL in 8 days. I am going to put them in root trapper bags and transplant in the fall or next spring. These are replacement trees for ones that have died over the years. I am done ordering trees, grafting going forward but disappointing to get small trees on my last order.

Worse than I thought from SNL. Anyone else get tiny trees from them this year? My Trailman crab was snapped in half at the roots. I cut the top up and wrapped in wet paper towels. Any chance I could graft it?

I am still waiting on my order from SLN. I am a little surprised I haven't heard anything from them yet, I was going to call them next week. This is my first order from them, you have me a little worried.

My sln order was the smallest stock I have received from them as well. This was my 4th order from them. Still looked like high quality trees though, nothing I would complain about

I haven't heard anything from SLN either. I already have my trees from Grandpa's. I made both orders on the same day.

I suspect SLN is having a hard time because of the cold weather. They got a new owner a couple years ago, and he may have bitten off a bit more than he can chew this season.

I just hope I get my trees before I leave for Canada.

My post #57 on this thread was SLN trees. I didn't want to mention the name because I feel I don't have the experience to critique much yet. And for all I know the tiny tree still might grow like gangbusters. I didn't measure it, but it's probably 14" tall... the pic with my dad in the background. It's a Kerr. The nice tree in the other pic is a Chestnut crab. Otherwise everything else about my small order from him has been nice. Trees weren't boxed but arrived well.

Let's all send them calmly worded letters expressing our disappointment.