Received first tree order with great disappointment

I've quit ordering apple trees. I have a nursery locally where I can buy rootstock that fits my soils. I'd just as soon order scions and graft them myself. I've taken to putting the M111 in 3 gal RB2s and keeping them for 1 growing season before planting them in the field. With GRIN as a scion source for many, with the low cost of rootstock, even with some grafting failures it is still cost effective.

Sorry for your loss. Let us know how they respond. I've ordered seeds from them but not trees. You experience sounds almost as bad as mine when I ordered Seguin nuts from Schumacher. Performance and product so poor, I'll never order from them again just based on principle.

Thanks,

Jack

They were from Fedco Trees. To show I am not exaggerating there is a tree in this pic :) Look closely this was NOT the smallest by far. View attachment 17678

I AM looking closely..........where ?

bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know what happened to your order but I can tell you going on 10 years ago I started buying rootstock from Fedco. The order I just received looks the same as in 2009. In defense of Fedco, they have been consistent with nice rootstocks anyway. I have received grafted trees from other nurseries...ordered 5 trees and 3 came as caveman double cleft grafts. They did make it yes but geez what an appearance disaster. Sometimes, one never knows...

That is to bad, I would not be happy either at that price, 30 bucks should have gotten you a tree with some meat on the bone... If they were some rare variety well maybe... but that ahhh no.

Did the trees have nice roots?

Good question. In fairness, they did not have bad roots and they did not have great roots. I would say they were average and I was okay with that. The largest of the trees was a Kavanagh and it has a tremendous root system on if for the size.

They were from Fedco Trees. To show I am not exaggerating there is a tree in this pic :) Look closely this was NOT the smallest by far. View attachment 17678

I have purchased from state, private, retail, & wholesale, and local, etc. nurseries over 30,000 trees. many of those fruit trees. What you pic there shows is a seedling, not even a classified transplant.

Forget the caliper, the root ball, or whatever, .... for $30 a tree, each tree should've been from the root crown to last branch 36"-60". You should see lower branch pruning marks for this type tree. The root ball should have had shown large 1/8"-1/4" pruned back roots with lots of other smaller roots. For this price tree I would have looked to see a solid, massive soccer ball size roots clump at least.

If what you show is a best to average stock, and you paid around $30/tree .... you got screwed. You are paying for 2-3 years of growth you never got ...

I have purchased from state, private, retail, & wholesale, and local, etc. nurseries over 30,000 trees. many of those fruit trees. What you pic there shows is a seedling, not even a classified transplant.

Forget the caliper, the root ball, or whatever, .... for $30 a tree, each tree should've been from the root crown to last branch 36"-60". You should see lower branch pruning marks for this type tree. The root ball should have had shown large 1/8"-1/4" pruned back roots with lots of other smaller roots. For this price tree I would have looked to see a solid, massive soccer ball size roots clump at least.

If what you show is a best to average stock, and you paid around $30/tree .... you got screwed. You are paying for 2-3 years of growth you never got ...

Well put and I agree. I e-mailed yesterday and go NO response so far.

Have you got any other pics? Is there a graft union? I agree w/ the others, that looks like rootstock. These pics show what I typically receive from ACN or Stark.

DSCN1470.JPGDSCN0900.JPG

geez @Maya , no one likes a bragger......... :emoji_grin:

What kind of updates/additions you doing to your orchard this year?

I have received bigger seedlings for $2 than that thing. The only bright spot would be smaller holes to dig...I hope you didn't pre dig the holes.

Have you got any other pics? Is there a graft union? I agree w/ the others, that looks like rootstock. These pics show what I typically receive from ACN or Stark.

View attachment 17729View attachment 17730

Honestly, I thought I was an idiot, but I could NOT identify a graft union on any of them!!!!!

Assuming each was labeled with a variety, i don't know how you could end up with rootstock from a reputable nursery.

longform-original-15529-1411748227-3.jpg

Assuming each was labeled with a variety, i don't know how you could end up with rootstock from a reputable nursery.

Each was labeled with a variety. Time will tell what they do.

no response from them yet? wow...

no response from them yet? wow...

Actually there was a response, I copied and pasted here but believe the administrators removed it. Essentially they said they are an organic operation and sometimes they get 3 feet of growth and sometimes they don’t.

I had one tree that was a “red wood” compared to the other trees here is a photo of it. Had all been like this I would have been fine. Actually fine now, I just will not order any more from them. So what do you think? Graft union or not? IMG_6955.JPGIMG_6958.JPGIMG_6956.JPGIMG_6959.JPGIMG_6963.JPG

Here is a tree that was planted. I don’t think this is a graft either :)IMG_6967.JPGIMG_6968.JPG

Actually there was a response, I copied and pasted here but believe the administrators removed it. Essentially they said they are an organic operation and sometimes they get 3 feet of growth and sometimes they don’t.

Real simple ... if you paid by credit card, file a stop payment with you CC company. They will contact you for info and then will contact the merchant and require them to make good on their offer.

can take up to 90 days to resolve. You will either get credited what you spent or the merchant needs to deliver what they offered.

Small business' need to be in good standing with the CC company more than they need you as a pissed off customer. Creates a level playing field between sller & buyer. If you spent < $500 move on and buy from a reputable supplier next time.

You can also go on sites like yelp & Facebook and criticize them. Amazon has a rating service you can pressure them with also.