Purple top turnip and radish growth

That ^^^^ looks good.

I know I planted way to thick again, so I have my doubts I will get any huge bulbs, but hopefully I get bulbs at least a couple inches around. I would love to put some N on them yet this year, I was hoping to get put some down this weekend, but there is no rain in the 10 day after this weekend, and I am not sure I will get up there again until Labor Day, and that is probably too late to apply urea.

Not to hijack the thread here but... I know as men here we are always thinking that "bigger is better", but has anyone ever experimented with different planting times and size of the bulbs and leaves, and how it affected preference of the deer? Think about sweet corn on the cob. The big ears tend to have more kernels but are often meatier and not as sweet, while medium size or smaller tend to "pop" better and be sweeter... Deer have the same preference with brassicas? Or just eat what is in front of them? Worth a thought if you are planting food plots for attraction vs forage or when you and 4 of your neighbor are both planting brassica plots within 100 yards of each other.

Not to hijack the thread here but... I know as men here we are always thinking that "bigger is better", but has anyone ever experimented with different planting times and size of the bulbs and leaves, and how it affected preference of the deer? Think about sweet corn on the cob. The big ears tend to have more kernels but are often meatier and not as sweet, while medium size or smaller tend to "pop" better and be sweeter... Deer have the same preference with brassicas? Or just eat what is in front of them? Worth a thought if you are planting food plots for attraction vs forage or when you and 4 of your neighbor are both planting brassica plots within 100 yards of each other.

I have thought about that many times myself... With many types of forage plants the deer prefer younger plants.."New Growth" It could be possible that they prefer younger brassica plants instead of the Giant at their peak bulbs or leafs... I have actually tested this out with the deer that I raise as pets on the farm... They eat the brassica leafs and bulbs no matter what the size but don't know what they prefer more... I will say they will eat many broad leaf plants but once they mature and get to a certain size they don't care to eat them anymore... So it could be

I m just north of Hwy 64 in Oconto County. I have been planting around July 15th for several years now. Our first frost is normally mid to late September. I get bulbs the size of a tennis ball, maybe even slightly larger. I agree the deer prefer younger growth vs. older growth. That is how it works in the spring with the rabbits in my garden as well..

Well I will actually be planting this weekend in Ohio which is about 3 weeks later than I normally would plant brassica.. Not by choice just haven't been around to do it so im sure I wont get the size I normally do. But I will defiantly be looking for a difference in deer preference this year. I think we think that bigger is better because of tonnage and more overall food for the deer to eat but will be interesting to see if "attractiveness" changes this year with slightly smaller plants.

I did lightly disc and drag the soil prior to planting. But unfortunately the deer have been hitting it really hard, with deer in it pretty much around the clock. The plants are not keeping up, and everything is getting shorter now. I will be up this weekend, and working in the general area, hopefully I can chase and deter the deer for at least the weekend.

You could always grab a couple bags of Milorganite and spread it around the in the plot. It would give you some N and maybe help keep the deer out for a few weeks?

Just got mine out a couple weeks ago, it didn't do much with lack of rain. We had a good soaker yesterday that should get everything growing good.

One of my customers sent me this photo asking if I buy my turnip seed from a warehouse at a nuclear power plant!

I told him not to plant in early May anymore! Bahahahahahaha!
View attachment 9771

Holy crap, man you people with good ground are so lucky.

Whip - What does milorganite do to deter deer ?? ^^^^^ ( post #28 ) What is it's benefit to plants ?? ( I've heard of it, but never looked into it for it's chemical makeup / benefits. )

It is 5-2-0 fertilizer ...the smell is what keeps deer away

And the smell isn't very appealing

Whip - What does milorganite do to deter deer ?? ^^^^^ ( post #28 ) What is it's benefit to plants ?? ( I've heard of it, but never looked into it for it's chemical makeup / benefits. )
It is made by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewarage District. I'll let you figure out out from there.....

Well I was out there today and the radishes and turnips are putting on growth. Average bulb size currently looks to be about a 1/2" in diameter for both. Here is the only picture I took. I know it's a bad pic but it's better than nothing.

I pulled one radish out of the ground a week ago and in one week since then they have grown considerably; almost seems the bulbs have doubled in size.

89d3ed320b96f3472d3a9449565aa3a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here I've been making milorganite all these years and never knew it !! ( posts # 33 & 34 ) :confused:o_O

With the excrement that Milwaukee puts out, especially given recent events there, you never know what kinds of micro nutrients you'll find in your bag of Milorganite.o_O:eek:

Whip - Love it !!!!! Had me LOL !!!! My wife heard me laughing and wondered what was so funny. Micronutrients ......... :p

I went and checked the plot today and was pleasantly surprised. The clover looks great, and the turnips are putting on some rapid growth. A few radishes are growing alright as well.

Obviously I need some soil improvements in the lime and fertilizer department next year!

1771515d97c1d44833b2377b2196a735.jpg

d76cb50d404731573434efce17ab1690.jpg

1d1f247ece97f528917e4be0205ef3c7.jpg

06a789e4d151094d10d377e82dbea250.jpg

a8109052a101bdcc0126801934dacf65.jpg

7fb450ab0a2cde911386aecdb85113ec.jpg

One more of the plot.

This is a picture of my turnip/radish/Winfred plot I planted mid July. 2nd year with brassicas in this plot. it's gonna be a bummer next year planting something else..... IMG_1211.JPG