Purple top turnips planting date?

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
It's been awhile since I've planted these, so for those of you who have planted purple top turnips in southern Wisconsin or nearby areas of the Upper MIdwest, what is the latest you can plant purple top turnips and still expect to get good sized bulbs? Or what is your normal planting time for best results? Please indicate where you are located. thanks!

Normal planting dates is 60-90 days before your first frost date.

Welters list them as 55 day maturity. I live in Winona Co. in South East Minnesota. I try to plant mine anytime after August 1st when there is rain in the forecast. The more urea you feed them the later you can get away with planting them.

I use tall tine tubers from WTI so I guess it’s what seed your using. I know they are over priced , but I get bigger bulbs from WTI rather than from others I’ve tried.

thanks everyone. and how many pounds per acre of purple top turnips seed seems to be best as a solid stand but not too thick so they still produce the largest bulbs possible?

thanks everyone. and how many pounds per acre of purple top turnips seed seems to be best as a solid stand but not too thick so they still produce the largest bulbs possible?
5-6#/acre alone 1-3 #/acre in a mix

thank you!

I use tall tine tubers from WTI so I guess it’s what seed your using. I know they are over priced , but I get bigger bulbs from WTI rather than from others I’ve tried.
I have no problem with BOB seed I just cant plant it in all my plots. In fact I used WTI winter greens last year to fill in a vary sparse sugar beet plot. It grew fast but the deer around me for whatever reason don't do much to the greens. If I planted PTT today and spread 100# of urea/Acre id get turnips the size of small pumpkins. The reason I plant a little later is to actually get smaller bulbs. I have found that the deer prefer them at our place when they are golf ball to baseball sized.

We actually have a plot this year that we worked up that I will be lightly planting PTT into a little every week to get varied size bulbs. Smaller bulbs for attraction and bigger bulbs for maximum tonnage when all the smaller bulbs are gone and the temps bottom out.

S.F I have read that before that deer preferred or chose the smaller sized bulbs vs larger ones.

Plant anytime in the next 2 weeks for best results. 5 or 6 lbs per acre with a good amount of fertilizer tilled in. Then top dress with urea after they’re up good That gives me best growth on top and on the bottom.