Early planting purple top turnips

bornagain62511

5 year old buck +
I was wondering what is the earliest any of you have ever planted purple top turnips and how did they turn out? And what part of the country are you located in? I was wondering if anyone has tried planting them as early as mid June in the upper midwest U.S.? By late July and August our ground is often so dry and hard as a rock that it's nearly impossible to plow or till or even get a no till drill to penetrate to plant seed. I'm thinking about planting them in June when our ground is softer and able to be worked up, and to possibly get larger bulbs to provide more late winter food for the deer.

July 1st through the 10th, they usually turn out good. Sometimes the rape in my mix bolts but the PTT turn out good.

EcVj98z.jpg

Why not try a 120 day brassica if your going to try and plant in June? Not sure what state your in, or when you typically get a first frost, but it seems early so maybe look into a 120 day one. Just throwing an option out there.

I was wondering what is the earliest any of you have ever planted purple top turnips and how did they turn out? And what part of the country are you located in? I was wondering if anyone has tried planting them as early as mid June in the upper midwest U.S.? By late July and August our ground is often so dry and hard as a rock that it's nearly impossible to plow or till or even get a no till drill to penetrate to plant seed. I'm thinking about planting them in June when our ground is softer and able to be worked up, and to possibly get larger bulbs to provide more late winter food for the deer.

I'm in zone 7A in central VA and I don't plant PTT until Aug at the earliest. If I plant that early I get very large bulbs. I never plow any more. That does too much damage to my soils and it has taken many years of no-till to get them back after foolish use of a 2-bottom plow. PTT in particular does not require tillage. At most, scratching the top of the soil is plenty, especially if you cultipack afterwards. The only issue I have with timing is rain. The key is rain after planting. I usually plant PTT as part of a cover crop mix with CC and WR. Sometimes I'll split the plant and plant the PTT in early August and wait until early September to broadcast the WR since it is attractive longer if I wait.

Thanks,

Jack

I’m in SW TN very near the MS state line and we planted ALL DAY today and will repeat tomorrow. There’s days and days of rain in the forecast starting Tuesday and as we head into hurricane season this is about the perfect time for this area.

July 1st through the 10th, they usually turn out good. Sometimes the rape in my mix bolts but the PTT turn out good.

cool, thanks for sharing. so you've never seen the turnips "bolt" or flower or go to seed planted as early as July 1? how large do the bulbs get?

Why not try a 120 day brassica if your going to try and plant in June? Not sure what state your in, or when you typically get a first frost, but it seems early so maybe look into a 120 day one. Just throwing an option out there.

I've thought about that. and the last few years we've planted Winfred brassica in Mid May or June and that works great, but they tend to wipe that out sooner in winter. Usually by February they have the leaves and the most tender parts of the stalk wiped out, and February and March is when deer around here need a good food source the most, so I'm thinking large bulbs would be the best for a reliable food source in February and March.

I'm in zone 7A in central VA and I don't plant PTT until Aug at the earliest. If I plant that early I get very large bulbs. I never plow any more. That does too much damage to my soils and it has taken many years of no-till to get them back after foolish use of a 2-bottom plow. PTT in particular does not require tillage. At most, scratching the top of the soil is plenty, especially if you cultipack afterwards. The only issue I have with timing is rain. The key is rain after planting. I usually plant PTT as part of a cover crop mix with CC and WR. Sometimes I'll split the plant and plant the PTT in early August and wait until early September to broadcast the WR since it is attractive longer if I wait.

Thanks,

Jack

thanks Jack. I agree, we destroyed our soil through many years of using a 2 bottom plow. If only I knew 20 years ago what I know now, I would've done a lot of things differently! I'm trying to get our soils to improve and decrease the amount of tillage and using proper crop rotations including having plots in clover and/or alfalfa for several years and then other crops for a max of 3 years before returning to the legume for 3 years. the 3 years of being untillled in either alfalfa or clover really rejuvenates the soil

cool, thanks for sharing. so you've never seen the turnips "bolt" or flower or go to seed planted as early as July 1? how large do the bulbs get?
I can't says for sure if have had turnips bolt, I only had bolting a couple times. The bulbs are all baseball to softball size some smaller some larger.

K7AcRkM.jpg

Last edited:
I am broadcasting turnips in Iowa this week

I planted some PTT 2 weeks ago and we had about 1/2 inch rain I was actually broadcasting the seed in the pouring rain. 2 days later I had turnips coming up. we have not gotten any rain since and it is very dry. they look good but need rain soon. the ground was almost hard as rock and challenging to even to scratch up the top inch or two with the tiller, but it's looking pretty good considering the conditions.

I planted some PTT 2 weeks ago and we had about 1/2 inch rain I was actually broadcasting the seed in the pouring rain. 2 days later I had turnips coming up. we have not gotten any rain since and it is very dry. they look good but need rain soon. the ground was almost hard as rock and challenging to even to scratch up the top inch or two with the tiller, but it's looking pretty good considering the conditions.

I've had bulbs as large as 5 lbs planting in August here. I'm far enough south that we get enough warm days in the winter that radish that is not eaten gets mushy and rots. In good mast crop years, turnip bulbs make it through the winter without being eaten. If I don't terminate them the next spring, they bolt and go to seed.

I'm guessing you have clay if the top is that hard. The previous plowing has introduced oxygen and burned the OM. Clay tends to for a crust if the OM is low. I would not go more than an inch with that tiller. You just need enough to break the crust. Another thing to look for with clay is compaction. This comes from putting heavy equipment on the field when the soil is wet. Clay compacts easily. You need to be very careful not to get on your fields when they are wet.

I've reclaimed old logging decks that had the topsoil removed and were highly compressed. Weeds wouldn't even grow on them. My first step was to use a sub-soiler to relieve the compaction. If I started in the spring, I would break the crust with a tiller and broadcast and cultipack buckwheat. If I started in the fall (or following the buckwheat), I would again break the crust and broadcast winter rye, groundhog radish, and crimson clover. In my area, the crimson bounces back in early spring along with the winter rye. That would cover spring and summer in year 2. In the fall of that year, I would repeat the process but this time, I would use a persistent perennial durana clover instead of an annual like crimson. By now, my topdressed lime had a chance to work and I could grow perennial clover. Durana is slow to establish so each time the WR would reach a foot, I'd mow it back to 6" in the spring.

After that spring of establishing the durana, I'd only mow once a year in the fall when cool nights and rain were favoring the clover. Each year, the field would get a little more weedy, but I'd get at least 7 years out of the durana. At that point, I could grow other crops. Sometimes I could do a complete no-till and some times it would crust a bit and I would need to min-till to break the crust, but after 7 years of no tillage, and only mowing once a year when it was dry but with rain in the forecast, the soil recovered quite a bit. It still takes years of smart crop selection and min/no-till to build OM from the top down to the point where I get no crusting. By smart crop selection, I mean a good balance between C and N. That is a mix of legumes and grasses or a rotation between them. (That doesn't mean you can't include other crops in the mix).

I'm now working part time on my way to full retirement and my farm is an hour and a half away. One of the things I'm realizing is how tough it is to be a weekend warrior. With limited time and uncertain future weather, it is often hard to balance soil temp, rain, soil wetness, and everything else when planting and the more acreage the more difficult. Planting windows can be small, and when access windows are 7 days apart, untimely rain can easily push you out of the planting window. It becomes easy to rationalize getting on wet soil with equipment or planting without rain in the forecast.

Our retirement property is only 15 minutes from the farm. I'm down there a lot more often now as we are building the barn and telecommuting makes my location less important. I'm looking forward to eventually living 15 minutes from the farm and being able to say "Little too wet today, I'll wait until tomorrow."

Thanks,

Jack

great info, thanks for sharing Jack!

Turnip can't bolt unless it over-winters.