Purple top turnip and radish growth

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
How long does it take for your brassicas to develop a quarter sized bulb in these northern regions of the Midwest? I planted some PT turnips and radishes the third week of June and it looks like the bulbs and tap root are just beginning to form. Is this common in Northern Wisconsin (North of highway 8)?

I looked out 90 days for the frost date and it is historically the third week in September; hence the third week in June planting date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curious on this as well, i also live north of 8, but we did our radish/turnip the weekend of the 4th of july. weve had some monster rains, so im curious how things go this year

How much N(urea) did you put on them, they are nitrogen lovers and will usually respond very well to N added 4 to 6 weeks after germination.

When I planted radishes that early they didn't grow huge "roots" as I expected and they bolted. Sounds about right for turnips though. Once the bulbs start growing they can get big fast!

How much N(urea) did you put on them, they are nitrogen lovers and will usually respond very well to N added 4 to 6 weeks after germination.

Thus far 17 pounds (two bags of 17-17-17) per acre.

I got another bag in the truck because a few leaves are browning. The areas I pulled tag alders out are growing much greener.

curious on this as well, i also live north of 8, but we did our radish/turnip the weekend of the 4th of july. weve had some monster rains, so im curious how things go this year

Looking back I planted the 25th of June; a weekend before you.

Get a couple bags of straight urea(46-0-0) down right before a rain event here in the next couple weeks, save that trip 17 for next season.

Thanks I will do!

One of my customers sent me this photo asking if I buy my turnip seed from a warehouse at a nuclear power plant!

I told him not to plant in early May anymore! Bahahahahahaha!
Turnip.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
That will draw deer in!!

I planted ghr last yr for the first time in mid July. I did not fertilize and the radishes were huge. I didn't think the deer would touch them because they were so big but they devoured them and the field was dirt by Dec.

Attachments

• 20151028_141741.jpg
    20151028_141741.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
I planted ghr last yr for the first time in mid July. I did not fertilize and the radishes were huge. I didn't think the deer would touch them because they were so big but they devoured them and the field was dirt by Dec.

What region of the US are you located?

I'm pretty sure Boone might plant into some fairly good dirt.

Planted rape turnips radishes here in central Mn. around the first of June just for an experiment. Well the radishes are bolting and everything turned purple. Next year it will be planted in July again.

I find the bulbs come on after they put on decent leaf growth. You didn't say what size plot, but maybe under fert some if its and ac. I also agree with Urea application. I apply at planting then again in 30 days before a rain. Make note that don't apply Urea if leaves are wet as it can stick and cause leaf burn. Best to do when they are dry. Good luck.

I checked yesterday and the radish tap root is beginning to form. A few were larger than a quarter inch in diameter that I seen with the average at a quarter inch. I pulled one and inspected it. This is ROUGHLY 6 weeks after planting.

I'll get a pic up of the plot soon.

I am not sure what the bulbs look like, but this is what the leafs look like from being planted July 15th. image.png

I was planning on putting some urea down this weekend on them, but the forecast isn't looking good to top dress urea. I will see what the bulbs look like this weekend.

That ^^^^ looks good.