Need Help With Trying Throw n Mow for 1st Time in Adams County, Wis.

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We would like to try throw and mow with some Brassica's and Winter Rye. We have an area 335 yds. long by 22 yds wide divided into two 11yd. wide strips. Area # 1 & 2 Area #1 - 3,685 Sq. yds. .76 acres Last fall we planted WR and Red clover in the strip closest to the woodline. We left the WR and clover grow together to this point. The clover is doing real good in places and not so good in others. There are quite a few weeds also in some places.The WR is 5 ft. tall and turning brown. Would like to cut both the weekend of July 27. ( only week we have to work untill Labor Day) Thought was to cut clover back to 6" and hopefully get some of the WR to reseed itself. If WR doesen't reseed well we could over seed Labor Day. Thinking of possibly over seeding in thin areas with red or ladino white clover as well on July 27 then running over with a cultipacker? Was'nt planning on spraying for the weeds. Leaving this area in Clover and WR and some weeds. ( Need Advice )

Area #2 - (Same size as above) We planted WR and oates last Fall the same time as area #1 . This is where we would like to plant the Brassicas and WR. trying T&M but not sure what to do. We have always rototilled to this point. We are pretty much 100% sand. There is a fair amount of WR and lots of weeds. Next to this area is a 30 acre corn field that our owner plants.
We have access to a tractor, a brush hog ( which I was planning to cut the clover with ) a cultipacker, a 4 wheeler, a pull behind ATV spreader, a pull behind ATV 32 gal. sprayer and possibly a 3 pt. disk. Planting Deer Creek Seed's "Prime Tme Brassica Mix" ( 25% Daikon Radish, 25% Winfred Forage Brassica, 25% Pasja Forage Turnip, 25% Sub Zero Forage Brassica and adding some Purple Top Turnips. Then overseed with WR Labor Day. I attached some photos taken 10 days ago. The strip closest to the tree line is the clover. Need advice on lbs.'s per acre for Brassicas, PTT and WR. Bag say's to plant Brassicas at 5-9lbs. per acre. (Keep in mind our germination rate is not very good in our sand and we don't have the fexibilty of planting before a rain) Need advice as to how to T&M this area with equipment we have.
Notes: Pict. #741 is area 1&2 with clover on right half
Pict. #743 is area 1 with WR, Clover and Weeds
Pict. #747 is area 1&2 with WR and weeds on left half
Pict. #746 is area 2 with WR and weeds ( area we want to try T&M)
Thanks to all of you in advance for your replies!

Attachments

• P1100741.JPG
    P1100741.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1100743.JPG
    P1100743.JPG
    871.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P1100746.JPG
    P1100746.JPG
    806.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1100747.JPG
    P1100747.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 27
My advice on the portion you plan to plant your Brassicas:

1: Broadcast your seed and fertilizer.

2: Roll (DO NOT MOW) the weeds,rye, and whatever else is in that section. (If you mow the rye will out compete the brassica)

3: Spray
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If wanting more clover and cereals for the remainder of the strips to be fall planted I would seed them and mow when you get back to the property Labor Day.

The one problem you could and more than likely will run into is seeding evenly into that tall standing rye. I dont have experience with this but I'm guessing you could mix your seed in with the fertilizer and seed and fertilize in one pass then roll or mow afterwards followed by spraying (for the brassica plot)

My advice on the portion you plan to plant your Brassicas:

1: Broadcast your seed and fertilizer.

2: Roll (DO NOT MOW) the weeds,rye, and whatever else is in that section. (If you mow the rye will out compete the brassica)

3: Spray
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If wanting more clover and cereals for the remainder of the strips to be fall planted I would seed them and mow when you get back to the property Labor Day.

The one problem you could and more than likely will run into is seeding evenly into that tall standing rye. I dont have experience with this but I'm guessing you could mix your seed in with the fertilizer and seed and fertilize in one pass then roll or mow afterwards followed by spraying (for the brassica plot)
X2 on the brassicas, broadcast your seed, roll it and then spray it. On the other side it sounds like you have a decent plan, mow it and hit the thin spots with a little more clover seed, good luck!

X2 on the brassicas, broadcast your seed, roll it and then spray it. On the other side it sounds like you have a decent plan, mow it and hit the thin spots with a little more clover seed, good luck!
Thankyou guys for your replies. We were planning on mowing the WR/Clover/ Weeds next week and overseeding with some Med. Red clover in thin spots. My question is what height to mow at and will there be to much cut material that it will smother clover that is left? Should we do in a couple of different height paces?

Thankyou guys for your replies. We were planning on mowing the WR/Clover/ Weeds next week and overseeding with some Med. Red clover in thin spots. My question is what height to mow at and will there be to much cut material that it will smother clover that is left? Should we do in a couple of different height paces?
When I use my brush hog I tried to keep it at about 6" and I've also used my DR brush mower which id 4.5" I believe.

Do you worry about to much cut material smothering existing clover?

I don't, sometimes I've had trouble with it wind rowing on me so I just go over it again to try and spread it out.

Thanks Scott

I just mowed mine a couple weeks ago with the riding mower, which is less than 3" at highest setting. Had to mow it twice cuz it was so thick. Red clover and alfalfa have come up fine through the mulch.
First pass.
20190711_130731.jpg
Second pass.
20190711_130759.jpg
Week later.
20190717_111238.jpg

Your existing red clover should have created seed by now, which will help thicken the plot up too.

I just mowed mine a couple weeks ago with the riding mower, which is less than 3" at highest setting. Had to mow it twice cuz it was so thick. Red clover and alfalfa have come up fine through the mulch.
First pass.
View attachment 25174
Second pass.
View attachment 25175
Week later.
View attachment 25176

Your existing red clover should have created seed by now, which will help thicken the plot up too.
Thanks for the reply and picts. that helps alot. Our red clover & WR was planted last fall and frost seeded more clover this spring. While the clover is at least a ft. tall we had hardly any red blossoms. Not sure why, it looks really healthy, the WR is 5' plus and not super thick. They are still getting plenty of sun. Hasn't produced much seed. Clover in cages is a little taller but not a tremendous amount. Anyone have any thoughts?