Pure Brassica Plots

I've done brassicas plots every year for close to 20 years now in northern WI. They are always eaten to the dirt come spring. Deer will hit the dwarf esex rape and radish as soon as they come up. Radish is really good thru bowseason. Kale and dwarf is a favorite for late bow and gun. Purple top turnips leaves are the least preferred but are still all eaten, but the bulbs are highly preferred late season and provide alot of food come January and February. I usually try a new brassica every year ( Winifred this year) but so far these are my favorites. I've tried most of the hybrids. They are all decent but still like the others better.

I will plant a DER/Tillage radish/PTT mix along with some clover end of July and top with winter rye after Labor Day if I have bare spots. Really good combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with a July planted pure brassica blend (NWW sweet feast) and broadcasting red clover and rye on top around 9/1. I'll likely frost seed a mix of clovers in the spring.

That is what makes sense to me in theory at least.

Last edited:
I'm going with a July planted pure brassica blend (NWW sweat feast) and broadcasting red clover and rye on top around 9/1. I'll likely frost seed a mix of clovers in the spring.

That is what makes sense to me in theory at least.

I would normally have had my brassicas planted by now...not this year. We have had a total of 1.09 inches of rain in the last 23 days and we had 93 degrees in the shade yesterday. So I am waiting to plant when I see some rain in the forecast.

I almost always mix up my own brassica blends but I did use the Northwoods Whitetails Sweet Feast Brassica mix a few years ago - with very good results.

IMG_2535.jpeg

I broadcasted it over a sugar beet plot to fill in the rows and thin spots. The plot was already E-Fenced.
IMG_2705.jpeg

The deer still browsed under the fence on the outsides but not too badly...
IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2889 (1).jpeg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251 (3).jpeg

This is my recipe that I used the past 2 years. This year I will be mixing (2#/acre each) PTT and Winfred Forage Brassica (1#/acre each) Rape, Crimson, Berseem and Balsana Fixation clovers and 5-6#/acre radish. Then I will broadcast winter rye over it 4-5 weeks later.
IMG_7477.jpg

All I need is some rain in the forecast...

Last edited:
Apologize if this has been discussed, I did do some searching… I think there’s some merit to “mr rhymes with Beff Blurgis’s” opinion that grains etc compete with brassicas.

But I do rely on the green stuff growing late spring / early summer to roll down over buckwheat or whatever else… so what are some approaches to best dealing with this if going heavy on brassicas in a plot? Stick to planting in July / early Aug then over broadcast with grains and annual clovers in Sept? Springtime grains broadcast? Other? Thanks!

No need to plant any additional in the spring when you include clovers in your brassica mix and then broadcast rye over top of it a month or so later.

This was a brassica plot the previous fall using the recipe I posted above - 4#/acre clovers.
IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

Plenty of clover forage after the rye is too tall to be palatable.
IMG_5796.jpg

If there is any "problem" I have.....it's that I have too much white clover (and red) in my plots. Not sure I will be able to get the PTT, DER, GHR, Collards to grow over the great clover I got going now from last fall. Lots of those brassica are germinated now......so we will se how they compete with the clover I got going. A nice "problem" to have.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 3 oaks buck A.jpeg
    3 oaks buck A.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 33
Planting brassicas into thick clovers can be an issue. I usually try to terminate as much of the clover as I can before planting brassicas - or at least thin them out or set them back some. I have not had very good success planting brassicas into heavy, thick clovers. Those in your first photo should do well.

Planting brassicas into thick clovers can be an issue. I usually try to terminate as much of the clover as I can before planting brassicas - or at least thin them out or set them back some. I have not had very good success planting brassicas into heavy, thick clovers. Those in your first photo should do well.
Yep....that is a bare spot in the clover. Most is much better than that. Gonna see how we do. Conditions are good here.

If there is any "problem" I have.....it's that I have too much white clover (and red) in my plots. Not sure I will be able to get the PTT, DER, GHR, Collards to grow over the great clover I got going now from last fall. Lots of those brassica are germinated now......so we will se how they compete with the clover I got going. A nice "problem" to have.

That's my dilemma also. I have great spring growth of clover in the WR. If I mow to terminate WR, clover is still thick and won't be conducive to seeding brassicas. I did drill the soy beans directly into the clover & WR this year. Waiting to see how it does. That's why considering to spray WR & clover next spring.

There is a trade off in either approach transitioning from spring green up to summer planting.

One thing I wanna try this year is planting collards once first frost hits. I thought I had them figured a couple years back, but a maturing perennial plot leaves no open space. The big idea here is to get the collards to germinate just as the deer are clearing off the clover so the new seeds can hook some October sun. The collards would get about 30 days to grow and get ready to overwinter, and then come back in the spring to grow the whole next season. At the same time, they'd stay so small, hopefully the deer pay no attention to them.

That's my dilemma also. I have great spring growth of clover in the WR. If I mow to terminate WR, clover is still thick and won't be conducive to seeding brassicas. I did drill the soy beans directly into the clover & WR this year. Waiting to see how it does. That's why considering to spray WR & clover next spring.

There is a trade off in either approach transitioning from spring green up to summer planting.
What would you spray the clover with??

I would normally have had my brassicas planted by now...not this year. We have had a total of 1.09 inches of rain in the last 23 days and we had 93 degrees in the shade yesterday. So I am waiting to plant when I see some rain in the forecast.

I almost always mix up my own brassica blends but I did use the Northwoods Whitetails Sweet Feast Brassica mix a few years ago - with very good results.

View attachment 44659

I broadcasted it over a sugar beet plot to fill in the rows and thin spots. The plot was already E-Fenced.
View attachment 44660

The deer still browsed under the fence on the outsides but not too badly...
View attachment 44661

View attachment 44662

View attachment 44663

View attachment 44664

This is my recipe that I used the past 2 years. This year I will be mixing (2#/acre each) PTT and Winfred Forage Brassica (1#/acre each) Rape, Crimson, Berseem and Balsana Fixation clovers and 5-6#/acre radish. Then I will broadcast winter rye over it 4-5 weeks later.
View attachment 44665

All I need is some rain in the forecast...

I like the look of that Northwoods Sweet mix.

View attachment 44659

Probably old hat to most of you but I just took note of how things change on the tag frequently. You can see the tags on the two bags in your picture that there is different germ rates between them and on my bag from this year the seed source is from a couple different locations.
BF6DE5AB-4986-43A3-ABDB-BB4FA78D29E3.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll post my pic again here so it is easier to compare...

IMG_2535.jpeg

Yes, that is interesting Wind Gypsy. I purchased this seed and planted it in 2018. There is a difference although probably not much in the finished product?

I'm doing a side by side trial of something similar this year. I chemically treated the acre closest to the road before lightly broadcasting a diverse mix in the entire plot. I then double planted rows of organic corn and soybeans, and then my diverse mix through the bean plate when I ran out of soy beans. The next day I mowed most of the plot and cultipacked half. Here's what it looked like last weekend. I planted quite late.

Attachments

• 20220717_110802.jpg
    20220717_110802.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 30
I'm doing a side by side trial of something similar this year. I chemically treated the acre closest to the road before lightly broadcasting a diverse mix in the entire plot. I then double planted rows of organic corn and soybeans, and then my diverse mix through the bean plate when I ran out of soy beans. The next day I mowed most of the plot and cultipacked half. Here's what it looked like last weekend. I planted quite late.

That is quite the difference between the two! To make sure i understand, the only difference is cultipacking vs only mowing? Or is it spray vs no spray?

That is quite the difference between the two! To make sure i understand, the only difference is cultipacking vs only mowing? Or is it spray vs no spray?
In that area it is spray vs no spray. The area in the picture was both mowed and cultipacked.
Attached is an area that was mowed only. I ran out of soy beans somewhere in this part so the non corn rows to the left are a diverse mix run through my dad's JD 290. I'm not seeing much of what was broadcast but I know the turkeys that I chased out while mowing ate some seed. Mower has been awesome.

Attachments

• 20220717_112155.jpg
    20220717_112155.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 23
You can see the tags on the two bags in your picture that there is different germ rates between them
I purchased this seed and planted it in 2018.
Interestingly, this arrived last week from the same place and the germination rates have increased again :/
DD725A2A-1B8A-4AF3-85B0-BDFD48CFD10D.jpeg

Interestingly, this arrived last week from the same place and the germination rates have increased again :/
View attachment 44681

And the makeup of the mix is a little different.

Probably just keeps it relatively close based on what he's got available.

What would you spray the clover with??

I am no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. I will spray with Gly at 2.5 oz per gal of water. This has set back the clover to stall it's growth. It will come back but maybe not all. I have done this on red, ladino, & white clover, but can't state exact impact on each.

Maybe some herbicide experts can jump in.