Problem radish?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
This is only my second year food plotting. I have a tremendous amount of volunteer radish in my beans of every stage... seedlings right up to full size radish. the good news is the deer are utilizing the radishes heavily which I didn't notice last year which is in line with everyone says that they take time to adjust to New food.I just sprayed my plot for Brassica broadcasting, so I will know how 2% glyphosate does on them.
I'm in zone 5B. just wondering how many of you have similar experience and could this be a problem. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_130152450_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180813_130152450_HDR.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20180813_130222336.jpg
    IMG_20180813_130222336.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20180813_130257630.jpg
    IMG_20180813_130257630.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 41
I have not had that problem because here in zone 7a radish does not need to be terminated in the spring as they rot over the winter. Turnips, on the other hand, do require termination if the deer don't do it for me which they don't in good mast crop years. I simply run a tiller over the cover crop in the early spring set so high it barely touches the top inch of soil if that. It effectively terminates the turnips before the bolt. It does not disrupt the crimson clover or winter rye in my cover crop so much that they don't bounce back quickly. I terminate them with Gly before planting soybeans.

Gly is not effective for terminating turnips in the typical doses; I don't know about radish. By the way, the correct rate for a general total kill on ag fields with gly is expressed as 2 quarts per acre, not as a percentage solution. The water is just used for a carrier and while you need enough to apply the gly evenly, beyond that the amount of water (thus percent solution) doesn't matter. The key is calibrating your sprayer so you know how much gly you are spraying per acre. Having said that, even with the correct application amount, I don't know how effective gly is at terminating mature radish.

Thanks,

Jack

I would celebrate volunteer radish. What potential problems do you foresee, Yarg? I'm very new at this myself, so I'm very interested to hear what you think would be a problem in the long term.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I don't have this experience with radish in particular since they don't overwinter here, but other brassica like turnips are problematic. If you let turnips bolt and go to seed, they will produce a huge amount of seed per foot. The volunteers will be way too crowded and be stunted and extract resources from your follow-on crop. There are also potential disease issues with brassica which is why they recommend that farmers planting monocultures plant brassica in the same field no more than two years in a row. That advice doesn't really apply to food plotter who are using brassica as one component of a mix because the density of brassica is significantly less than in a monoculture of brassica I've been planting brassica as one component of a cover crop for 10 years or so with no disease issues. The high density of plants that results from letting turnips bolt and go to seed would contribute to the likelihood of disease.

Perhaps radish has different seeding characteristics, but if it is anything like turnips, I would mechanically terminate it in the spring.

Thanks,

Jack

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I don't have this experience with radish in particular since they don't overwinter here, but other brassica like turnips are problematic. If you let turnips bolt and go to seed, they will produce a huge amount of seed per foot. The volunteers will be way too crowded and be stunted and extract resources from your follow-on crop. There are also potential disease issues with brassica which is why they recommend that farmers planting monocultures plant brassica in the same field no more than two years in a row. That advice doesn't really apply to food plotter who are using brassica as one component of a mix because the density of brassica is significantly less than in a monoculture of brassica I've been planting brassica as one component of a cover crop for 10 years or so with no disease issues. The high density of plants that results from letting turnips bolt and go to seed would contribute to the likelihood of disease.

Perhaps radish has different seeding characteristics, but if it is anything like turnips, I would mechanically terminate it in the spring.

Thanks,

Jack
Well, that answers my question. Thank you as always Jack.

I add 2 oz of Gly/ 1 gallon of water.. it takes 70 gallons to cover my roughly 4. 7 acres at 5 mi per hour 30 PSI with my 5 nozzles, which works out to roughly one quart/ acre if my math is correct... This has given me excellent burn down results ( 6 times total lol)probably because I am in a non Ag area. I hope this will not contribute to Gly resistant weed problems and am open to recommendations on such. Thank you for correcting and helping me understand this better Jack!
I walked the plot yesterday and clearly see yellowing of the radish, do should know if they terminate within the next two weeks.

I quart per acre will kill most grasses. If you know your weeds, I'd suggest looking them up on the gly label and spraying accordingly. It not, I'd suggest using 2 quarts/ac next time for a general burn down. Over time a light use of gly can contribute to resistance. Don't get me wrong, there are times and conditions where 1 qt/ac will be appropriate. I doubt it will terminate radish that is starting to bolt. Here is a relevant article: http://extension.udel.edu/weeklycropupdate/?p=9961

Thanks,

Jack

I would celebrate volunteer radish. What potential problems do you foresee, Yarg? I'm very new at this myself, so I'm very interested to hear what you think would be a problem in the long term.
Since this is only my second season meaning I've only planted radish one time it was alarming to see so many volunteers, mainly Because the deer did not seem to use them and they turned to mush before winter set in, so was not impressed..aside from there soil building attributes. Now that the deer are using them heavy I was like wow great free food but they are competing heavy with the beans.. but also taking pressure off and adding diversity.. It's all about balance, when we start manipulating..going to be interesting to see how things progress but too much of a good thing can can become a bad thing and any introduction from Asia, well....

Since this is only my second season meaning I've only planted radish one time it was alarming to see so many volunteers, mainly Because the deer did not seem to use them and they turned to mush before winter set in, so was not impressed..aside from there soil building attributes. Now that the deer are using them heavy I was like wow great free food but they are competing heavy with the beans.. but also taking pressure off and adding diversity.. It's all about balance, when we start manipulating..going to be interesting to see how things progress but too much of a good thing can can become a bad thing and any introduction from Asia, well....
Thanks for sharing your thoughts process Yarg.

It's only been a few days and the radishes don't look very happy..as I look across the field all you see is clumps of yellow, they're noticeably more yellow than anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_162346127.jpg
    IMG_20180815_162346127.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 10
Came across a group of five turnips..did not know they made it as well.. looks like they're responding also

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_154311788.jpg
    IMG_20180815_154311788.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 9