Planting options???

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I have winter rye in my plot and I want to plant a Sandy Sure Shot from Deer Creek soon. I know there are 2 options but want to know what most guys suggest.

#1 Broadcast seed into standing rye/spray with 1qt-per acre glyphosate/roll with cultipacker (all in the same day)

#2 Spray with 1qt-acre then come back 5-10 days later and broadcast the seeds and cultipack with the atv.

No matter what, I would like to broadcast 24 hours or less with of a rain.

I also plan on using 1 pint of AMS to the sprayer because I have hard water.

How thick is the Rye? Are there many weeds underneath? I would roll the Rye first depending on how high you are letting it grow. I generally try to let mine get to seed stage, broadcast my Brassica, and then roll it to knock down the rye (and maybe get a little free seed) and then spray with Gly whatever is left that is green. Each year that I have been doing this, the Rye gets thicker and the weeds get less so I don't have to spray as much. I think its better to spray after the rye is down. The rye is going to die regardless of whether you spray or not so why waste the spray on rye and hit the other weeds you want out of there. That's how I do it, not saying its the right way but it works for me. My property is up by Earl so not too far from you.

They rye is not very thick. There are weeds in the plot as well. I would guess it is 8-10" tall right now.

#2.

And if it all needs to be one day/trip, that sequence (spray, broadcast, roll) still makes most sense to me.

Chucker's method above makes sense to me if you're going to wait to get some rye seed out of it.

If you are going to terminate the WR early, why not eliminate the spraying and just mow?

What would the benefit be to spray then wait 5-10 days before planting? If you did that then you would just be giving the weeds a 5-10 day head start on the seed you plant.

I have a weedy rye patch and I'll be spreading seed and then spraying later the same day. I've done that previously with standing oats and it worked really well for me.

If you are going to terminate the WR early, why not eliminate the spraying and just mow?
I don't have access to an atv mower and my plot is very rough. No way I could take my lawn mower through it without hitting something with the blades.

If it's only 10" tall right now i'd wait and play the rain. I'd seed, pack, spray. I'd rather my spray got on the seed than all over me when i walk through the plot broadcasting seed.

What would the benefit be to spray then wait 5-10 days before planting? If you did that then you would just be giving the weeds a 5-10 day head start on the seed you plant.

I have a weedy rye patch and I'll be spreading seed and then spraying later the same day. I've done that previously with standing oats and it worked really well for me.
If it's only 10" tall right now i'd wait and play the rain. I'd seed, pack, spray. I'd rather my spray got on the seed than all over me when i walk through the plot broadcasting seed.

Watch this video and then ask yourself if you really want to spray Glyphosate on top of your seed...(unless it is RR seed):

Glyphosate vs Seed Germination: Results - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch › v=ddHLq8W0d-Y

Here is a recent thread on it from the Michigan Sportsman Forum:

Glyphosate vs Seed Germination: Results

That's interesting WT. Another reason maybe to roll after you seed then spray so the seed is actually under the thatch.. I always roll after I seed then spray, but I am rolling mature Rye. I do not see a reason to spray immature rye either since it is going to die that season anyway. I am not against using Gly but do try to keep it to a minimum. Again, just the way I do it not saying its right or wrong.

That's interesting WT. Another reason maybe to roll after you seed then spray so the seed is actually under the thatch.. I always roll after I seed then spray, but I am rolling mature Rye. I do not see a reason to spray immature rye either since it is going to die that season anyway. I am not against using Gly but do try to keep it to a minimum. Again, just the way I do it not saying its right or wrong.
I think most all of us have sprayed after broadcasting our seed and have had fairly good germination (as you say probably the thatch is protecting some of it). But this video was pretty telling for me. I will definitely be waiting for the Gly to dry before broadcasting any seed in the future.

Drilling the seed , I am sure, is going to be much less critical but still, some of that smaller seed is going to be on, or very near the soil surface.

For the absolute best chance at germination it is probably best to spray first and then seed only after the Gly has fully dried.

Thanks for the help guys. As a rookie, I have a lot to learn.

I did broadcast/spray/roll the plot this weekend. After looking into the standing rye, I could see I had a lot of weeks coming up along with ferns and some small tree species in the plot. I don't know if it will work. All I can do at this point is wait and see. Again, I have a lot to learn about this subject. My biggest concern is the light rain that popped up 20-30 minutes after I sprayed the field. I thought I was in the clear but then a light shower popped up on me.

I would broadcast your seed, cultipack it then spray, all in one day.

I would broadcast your seed, cultipack it then spray, all in one day.
Robert - Did you view the video in Post #11 above? You really don't want to be spraying after you broadcast seed if you want max germination.

I did not, sorry. I guess I was just going by my experiences that I didn't seem to have a problem with brassicas coming up after sparying round up. All depends what he is spraying I guess.

I did not, sorry. I guess I was just going by my experiences that I didn't seem to have a problem with brassicas coming up after sparying round up. All depends what he is spraying I guess.

Yes, I think we have all gotten away with spraying after we have broadcasted the seed, but based upon what I saw in the video experiment, I think we probably just got lucky or had enough of our seed blocked by vegetation that it avoided the Gly enough to still germinate. I am pretty sure that we would get more germination if we sprayed first, allowed it to dry and then broadcasted the seed. At least that is how I will do it in the future.

Thanks for posting that Wild thing, I guess I will change my approach a little bit, give it a day to dry. I'm fortunate enough to live only 10 minutes from the land I own. So travel is not really an issue. I planted my corn already and won't plant my winter rye until September.

I went up to my land today. I planted May 30th and we have had very little to zero rain since. Today I was able to see 2-3" buckwheat coming up. I didn't look very hard but I did not see any sunflowers or soybeans popping up. I think the lack of rain really got me on this attempt.