Plant Brassicas in Early September?

meyerske

5 year old buck +
Anyone in the midwest (I'm in Ohio) plant brassicas in early September and get good results? Seems about a month late to me, but I'm seeing this recommended more and more.

I try to get mine in mid July to get decent growth on my PTT, maybe they are planting brassicas for top growth only but still you wouldn't get alot of top growth planting in sept. I agree with you it's about a month or so late.

I've tried Sept in N. MO and it's to late. Even mid August has been to late if the rains hold out on me.

My next try will be July.

Higgins has been preaching this as well, and I still can't get on board. He said up to Labor Day is good timing. The claim is that the younger smaller plants taste better. I'm sure they do. But my July brassicas get huge and still get totally hammered. I'm a throw and grow plotter, so I have to time the rains to get a good germ. First chances of good rain after the 1st week of July and I'm starting to spread seed. Occasionally I'm still trying to get a good stand in the first couple weeks of August, and I just can't get the growth out of those. I'm sticking with July.

Edit, to be accurate, he said for every 100 miles north of where he lives in central IL, to move a week earlier than Labor Day. I'm still sticking to July, and I don't think it matters all that much which type of the more popular brassicas you go with, as far as maturities. Maybe some really early maturing types need to be waited on. I plant 4 types and haven't seen 1 bolt yet. Needless to say, weather will have the final say. And you can pour the N to late planted plots to hurry them along, which I don't. So I guess it all depends.

Last edited:
I'm in N WI. I used to plant the 2nd or 3rd week in July. I have been planting brassicas for 5 years now the 4th of July weekend. I have never had it bolt and the deer have always eaten every last bit of it. I mostly plant it for a winter food source for the herd so maximum growth is what I shoot for.I have broadcast rape into my beans before in late August with poor results (3-4 inches high) and didn't notice the deer using that rape anymore than the July planted brassicas. I have noticed the deer really like my turnips when the bulb is about the size of a quarter, but I also think that a September date is to late and poor use of a plots potential.

"Brassica"...the term is broad and misused.
There's lot of variation between different brassica... when they can be planted, how they handle freeze, and then local conditions come into play. Are you north or south? Wet feet or dry? Will deer in YOUR area pound radishes and refuse to touch turnips? Do they eat it all as it sprouts? Do you want a forage brassica or one with bulbs and tubers?
There are as many opinions and ideas as there are varieties of "brassicas".

W. Pa.

I'm not a long-term veteran of planting brassicas, but for the last 2 years we've planted ours the first weekend of August in NC Pa. and we got great top growth and very good bulbs. Zone 5 / 6 border. Our mix is PTT, DER, GHR, and Pasja forage brassica. 400 lbs. of 19-19-19 / acre when planted.

Our tops got to 30" tall and turnip bulbs were up to softball size - most of them tennis to baseball size. Radishes were avg. 2" dia. and 10 to 12" long. We wanted big top growth for mid-winter greens even under snow, so the deer had plenty to eat post-rut.

I've planted brassica more than once Labor Day weekend with good success. Some are planted in my LC grain mix (radish) and they do well. I've also replanted brassica that got wiped out from drought from their usual July 25 planting, that did well. With the warm late falls we have been having the last 3-4 years, it isn't too late. If we have a more "normal" weather pattern, I don't think it's a good idea.

I've planted brassica more than once Labor Day weekend with good success. Some are planted in my LC grain mix (radish) and they do well. I've also replanted brassica that got wiped out from drought from their usual July 25 planting, that did well. With the warm late falls we have been having the last 3-4 years, it isn't too late. If we have a more "normal" weather pattern, I don't think it's a good idea.
This is a great point. It was into the 70s in November the past two years.

Live in north central SD, we usually plant our brassica plots in August to early September. If you are looking for a solid brassica mix, check out Green Beast from Milborn seeds in Brookings, SD. Weve been planting that the last 3 years and it is an absolutely outstanding food plot.

I plant in Central Ohio and 2 years ago did radishes(no other brassicas, so I can't say how they would do) and clover on Sept. 1 and they did pretty well. Didn't get monster roots, but the deer hammered the tops, which was right in time for bow season. If you aren't concerned with massive root growth and have decent soil, you should be OK, but you'll lose some of the benefits of the roots aerating the soil.

I plant rape, radishes, and turnips on several properties in northeastern MN and northwestern WI. I start planting the first week of July and continue until the end of July. All of these plots produce large bulbs and plenty of forage, so that is the planting window that has worked for me over the years. I lime and fertilize according to the soil test. As far as the N goes though.....100# N per acre at planting and then I broadcast 100# N per acre about 4 weeks later just before a significant rain event. By this time the crops should be telling you if and how bad they need a N boost, sometimes the yellowing or light green color change is subtle, but I have found the N boost really helps maximize tonnage.

I've planted brassicas for years and I go by the rule of 60-90 days before your average first killing frost. This gives the PTT and all brassicas to reach their potential and put on MAX tonnage. PTT and radishes normally will put on their top growth first and the last 45 days they will concentrate on bulbs if the deer don't eat the tops first.