All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pecan in mn?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
I took a trip to the umn arboretum today, they had northern pecan growing that looked pretty good. Anyone tried growing these north of Illinois? I'm curious if anyone has gotten nuts to form in the north. Not sure if these are a deer draw but I wouldn't mind having a couple regardless.

I've never heard of a pecan in MN. I don't recall seeing them in my MN book of trees and shrubs that lists all of the native trees in the state.

In my experience, any time I try to plant something that isn't common this far north I get a year or two of good growth that makes me think I'm onto something and then we get a bad winter and I'm wishing I stuck with something more hardy.

Having said that, it's not like you're out too much if you plant a couple pecans and see what happens.

They can grow and produce susscessfully as far north as at least Lincoln, NE. The Nebraka Nut Growers Assoc. has a website. There are cultivars that can be grown in the "north".