Pecan Trees

Christian Co., in southern west-central KY, about 70 mi NW of Nashville TN.

Here is some more information I collected when I was considering pecans. I can't remember the source.

Attachments

• Pecans.pdf
    404.5 KB · Views: 9
Those are mostly all Southern varieties, not suitable for dukslayr's locale...and scab susceptibility on most would make them less than great for most Southern folks without an airblast sprayer.

Those are mostly all Southern varieties, not suitable for dukslayr's locale...and scab susceptibility on most would make them less than great for most Southern folks without an airblast sprayer.

Could very well be. As I said, I can't recall the source, but I thought the shell thickness and scab resistance may be useful to folks.

You betcha!
Scab resistance is the most important trait for just about anyone growing pecans in any region of the country, unless they're set up to do fungicide spraying on a commercial scale.

I bought a handful of these Pecan's from a local nursery in Ithaca NY about a month ago. They guy barely speaks english so it is best to email him, he is very responsive through email (provided on the site). I tried to tell him he needs to add detail to his site because their is no descriptions (what kind of Pecan) no planting guide or much of anything helpful really. Most of my questions pertained to the Mulberry and Persimmon so I can't tell you much detail about the Pecans other than they are cold hardy for my area (zone 5A but more like zone 4 most years), that they are grafted and his nursery is in the back yard of his home so I know they are meant for my area.

https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/product-page/pecan

10 bucks for a grafted pecan? Incredibly cheap...I'd want that for a 2y.o. select seedling...
Bareroot or containerized?
I'd still want to know varieties...I have some scab-susceptible varieties here that I'll likely never get a decent nut from, 'cause I'm NOT going to spray...

10 bucks for a grafted pecan? Incredibly cheap...I'd want that for a 2y.o. select seedling...
Bareroot or containerized?
I'd still want to know varieties...I have some scab-susceptible varieties here that I'll likely never get a decent nut from, 'cause I'm NOT going to spray...

I won't ever spray either bud, if they produce nuts great, if not I only spent $50 on some unique trees to my area. That goes for everything I have planted so far.
These are bareroot trees, I would guess they are only 1 year old by the size (12-18" tall) but they had an awesome root system so I am honestly not sure. Like I said, the website to the nursery has poop for information that should be there not even planting distance, hardiness zones or soil requirements. So it would be wise to ask through email before ordering.

1 yr old pecan unlikely to be grafted/budded...it usually takes us at least 2 growing seasons to get sufficient stem caliper to allow grafting, and that probably only with the strongest 30% of seedlings...others will require another year or two of growth to gain sufficient size.
Maybe these are seedlings of named, grafted selections?

1 yr old pecan unlikely to be grafted/budded...it usually takes us at least 2 growing seasons to get sufficient stem caliper to allow grafting, and that probably only with the strongest 30% of seedlings...others will require another year or two of growth to gain sufficient size.

I emailed him to clarify both your questions bud, I will copy/paste his reply as soon as I get one. I could be mistaken on them being grafted, I didn't pay much attention when I was planting as it was raining and I was rushing the task but will clarify when I get the answer from him.

I bought a handful of these Pecan's from a local nursery in Ithaca NY about a month ago. They guy barely speaks english so it is best to email him, he is very responsive through email (provided on the site). I tried to tell him he needs to add detail to his site because their is no descriptions (what kind of Pecan) no planting guide or much of anything helpful really. Most of my questions pertained to the Mulberry and Persimmon so I can't tell you much detail about the Pecans other than they are cold hardy for my area (zone 5A but more like zone 4 most years), that they are grafted and his nursery is in the back yard of his home so I know they are meant for my area.

https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/product-page/pecan

Pecan (Carya illinoensis) I have that variety growing in NW Wisconsin it made it through -38 and has budded out again this year its small and young

Pecan (Carya illinoensis) I have that variety growing in NW Wisconsin it made it through -38 and has budded out again this year its small and young
That is great to know and exactly what I am looking for bud, do you remember where you got them by chance? Ideally... cold hardy, disease resistant and starts producing nuts at an early age in a perfect world.
I see plenty of sites offering what I am looking for but I lack trust in nursery's that don't come recommended. Been burned too many times by the sales pitch and dishonest claims.

You are correct, the ones I bought were grown from seed. The guy emailed me back and I forgot to post it here.

That is great to know and exactly what I am looking for bud, do you remember where you got them by chance? Ideally... cold hardy, disease resistant and starts producing nuts at an early age in a perfect world.
I see plenty of sites offering what I am looking for but I lack trust in nursery's that don't come recommended. Been burned too many times by the sales pitch and dishonest claims.

Alpha nursery out of Michigan, I only have a few and they are small and young - but are 3 years old now. I knew I was pushing the limits on them up here so I tried them just for fun. Time will tell in the end but they are alive. At least they were this spring I have not been out there lately to look on them. I have had decent luck with Alpha and they have a lot of varieties.

Pecan trees will survive and grow well in areas where they don't get enough growing-degree days to ever mature nuts. See Dr. Bill Reid's blog post here: http://northernpecans.blogspot.com/2012/09/northern-pecans-climatic-adapation.html - while he's an authority, I don't agree with everything he says...I know a fellow in Massachusetts who has pecans that mature their nuts on a regular basis.
So... if you folks farther north than me want to grow pecans, please do - but try your best to get genetics from the far northern reaches of pecan's native range... the nuts will be smaller than those big Southern 'papershell' types, but just as tasty - if not more so... IMO, many of the northern/far-northern pecans have higher oil content than some of the big Southern types I grew up eating in UCLA(upper corner of Lower Alabama).