Painting PT Wood

BradB

5 year old buck +
I have a couple of shooting house bases completed and want to paint them as added protection. How long do you generally have to let pressure treated wood dry before painting.

In general, if you splash a few drops of water on it and it beads up, its too wet and needs to dry longer. If it absorbs, you can paint it that day or pretty soon. Also, if it is wet, set it in full sun and it will probably dry out in 1-2 weeks. If indoors (shop / garage), put a fan on it and it will probably take 3-4 weeks, no fan - 6 weeks.

I probably won't live long enough to see any protection benefits from painting my PT bases. I do sort of stain them to drab the color. I water down black latex paint and put it in a garden sprayer and spray them. They don't really look painted, but they do blend in a bit better. I do the same to the PT on the inside of the blind to minimize light reflection and the chance of game seeing movement in the blind.

Thanks,

Jack

Thats a good idea Jack. I am building these to be my forever stands, ie never touch them again until I am to old to hunt. Which if I am lucky will be 15-20 years.So I am going all out. They have been in the garage for 3 weeks so they are probaly getting close.

Thats a good idea Jack. I am building these to be my forever stands, ie never touch them again until I am to old to hunt. Which if I am lucky will be 15-20 years.So I am going all out. They have been in the garage for 3 weeks so they are probaly getting close.

Looking forward to pics!

I let my stands with pressure treated lumber sit in the elements for a full season, almost 12 months, before I thought about painting or putting a deck sealing spray on them. I use Thompsons water sealer that I buy in 5 gallon buckets and spray on the wood. My 18 stands have been standing for 25 years this upcoming season.

Last edited:
I have 3500 square ft of pressure treated deck that I maintain. The best solution bar none is the finish they use on log homes. Once the wood is completely dry, probably a year then you can apply it. Then again in 3 years and your good for 10 more at least.

Thanks for all the info. I think the plan will be to let it dry for an extended time and then seal/paint.