All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on what clovers to plant in MN for deer

Trophy Collector

A good 3 year old buck
Just wanted some opinions on what clovers deer prefer in MN

Red

You need to tell us where you are at. Which USDA zone. Do you have ag and alfalfa aound you? Are you in the northwoods?

Light soil, or heavy soil? pH?

In the true northwoods, any clover that will grow will work. Some do better on light soil, some on heavy soil. Same thing for pH.

If you are competing with alfalfa, I have different preferences.

I'm in eastern ottertail co. I've got some sand n some heavy ground. The one neighbor plants just beans n corn, the rest around me is woods and swamp, n crp! I plant corn, beans, and brassicas! I've tried winter rye but they just walk through it n head 2 my other plots! Just wanted a clover, alfalfa, or chicory plot for spring n summer! There isn't any clover n alfalfa fields around! Just want something that will really attract them!

I don't have specific experience in your area.

Medium red clover works well on lighter ground and is attractive to deer.

Try ladino on the good ground if you have the pH corrected.

Or just plant a 4 way blend-medium red, alsike, ladino, and some other white.

In MN, Alice white clover will serve you well.

Mix in some chicory as well.

In MN, Alice white clover will serve you well.
I think it is alice that has done well for foggyl

Whats the difference between Alice clover and ladino or other clovers? I've never heard of alice clover.

These are discriptions from Walters seed catalog. Check out their seed catalog on line for descriptions on many clover varieties.

Looks like Alice is more cold hearty

ALICE WHITE CLOVER (w/Nitro Coat Organic) . . . . . . . . $5.25 A variety known for its high palatability and vigorous tall growth. Alice is very winter hardy and is aggressive enough to compete well with grasses in pasture mixes

JUMBOIILADINOCLOVER (w/ApexTMGreen)....... . ... $4.50 A fast growing, giant leafed variety known for its leaf size and vigorous growth habit. Jumbo II is popular in pasture mixes and is extremely popular in deer mixes.

Any time I plant clover it's an even mix of Alta Swede Red, Alice white, JumboLadino white And Kupa II white.

This was the combo Paul Knox suggested and that was good enough for me. My plots always come out great.

Last edited:
When are you guys planting your clover and how? Last year I frost seeded into a winter rye plot and it did pretty good.

I always read and followed fall planting with rye or oats.

This spring I broke the rules and hit an area with Gly and broadcast my clover.

It came in good but grass and broadleaf came on strong. I hit it with 2,4,D-B and clethodim. ( no crop oil) just dish detergent. By fall it was a pure stand of clover.

From now on I'm planting clover when I want too, or when it is convenient.

As a side note on clover. I don't know who started the idea that we need to mow it because deer want new shoots to eat. But they were full of it. Deer eat all clover.

If you're going to mow clover, mow the weeds above the flower. Why kill free seed that will keep your plot going for years?

I think the deer on the bag seed guys came up with mowing below the flower.

Ure getting it figured out bill! Good work

I always read and followed fall planting with rye or oats.

This spring I broke the rules and hit an area with Gly and broadcast my clover.

It came in good but grass and broadleaf came on strong. I hit it with 2,4,D-B and clethodim. ( no crop oil) just dish detergent. By fall it was a pure stand of clover.

From now on I'm planting clover when I want too, or when it is convenient.

As a side note on clover. I don't know who started the idea that we need to mow it because deer want new shoots to eat. But they were full of it. Deer eat all clover.

If you're going to mow clover, mow the weeds above the flower. Why kill free seed that will keep your plot going for years?

I think the deer on the bag seed guys came up with mowing below the flower.

Not to mention all the food those flowers give the honey bees. I had bee hives this year so I didn't mow the clover. I didn't get any complaints from the deer.

Whats the difference between Alice clover and ladino or other clovers? I've never heard of alice clover.
As others have stated, it is very cold hardy and has a proven track record in northern climates. If the ground is wetter, use alsike instead. Medium red clover is also a good choice.

As others have stated, it is very cold hardy and has a proven track record in northern climates. If the ground is wetter, use alsike instead. Medium red clover is also a good choice.
I suspect alsike and medium red will tolerate a lower pH than Alice.

I suspect alsike and medium red will tolerate a lower pH than Alice.
I have heard the white clovers are a lot herder 2 get started then the red! Any opinions on chicory?

I have heard the white clovers are a lot herder 2 get started then the red! Any opinions on chicory?
I would say that depends on your soils and on which specific clovers you are talking about.

Some "white" clovers are harder to start in general, but as sandbur stated, it is more a product of your soils. You don't try to start whites on low OM sand with low ph or you will be destined to fail for many years(ask me how I know!). Take Kura clover(not a true white or red,it is it's own animal, but has white flowers), super hard to establish, but once you do it will last almost indefinitely with minimal maintenance. White clover will usually outlast any of the red varieties in most instances, but they are both persistent under the right circumstances. Even the reds will hang around for many years if they are left to go to seed each season.

Some "white" clovers are harder to start in general, but as sandbur stated, it is more a product of your soils. You don't try to start whites on low OM sand with low ph or you will be destined to fail for many years(ask me how I know!). Take Kura clover(not a true white or red,it is it's own animal, but has white flowers), super hard to establish, but once you do it will last almost indefinitely with minimal maintenance. White clover will usually outlast any of the red varieties in most instances, but they are both persistent under the right circumstances. Even the reds will hang around for many years if they are left to go to seed each season.
Would you agree that alsike would do well in most wet areas, even if lower pH? Some farmers consider it a nuisance in alfalfa fields.