Opinions on clover.

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Sure it’s pretty, it’s very easy to manage weeds in, it is relatively nutritious but…I just don’t see it being that attractive. I have 2 plots that are beautiful and lush with a variety of clovers. One is maybe an acre and the other is 2 acres. I broadcasted wheat, rye, oats and brassicas into them but that was a fools errand as they are too thick with clover. I just don’t see the use out of that I would like. I have a camera looking down one and it sends me an automatic pic every evening about 30 minutes before dark, more often than not it’s empty…and I have too many deer. I know clover is popular with foodplotters but I wonder if it’s not more because of its ease to grow and manage rather than it’s attraction for deer. Just my experience with it.

I didn't do a pure stand of clover. I have done a blend of several different kinds of clover with chicory, planted somewhat sparsely so that I can add annuals. If the clover got so dense I couldn't plant annuals into it, I would probably spray it in strips and plant annuals into the strips. Rinse and repeat.

Others on here talk about discing clover to get their annuals started. This seems to work really well for a lot of posters.

Before you take any drastic measures, most people here would advise you to use an exclusion cage to find out for sure that the deer aren't using the clover much. Also, I think clover usage is rather seasonal, and perhaps varies by region.

Doesn't help your point but I can't seem to get mine to grow no matter what I try. But I've never planted a seed at home and it covers my back yard.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I dont see much clover use fall and winter. My plots are mixed wheat clover. My clover is used heavily in summer - very little in spring. I grow wheat for me fall and winter. I grow clover for the deer in summer

Before you give up on it, try throwing a bag of gypsum on a piece of it in spring to see if that turns them onto it by end of next season.

I’ve seen a sulfate sulfur addition affect timing of soybean browsing vs the exact same beans within 50 yards not getting any attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is the clover plot? Do you use an exclusion cage to see how much they are actually feeding?

I have seen deer walk past green soybean leaves to get to a clover plot. I think it just depends on the time of year and what is in the area. If I was only going to have one food plot, it would probably have about 1/3rd clover (the other 2/3rds being alfalfa and chicory).

How old is the clover plot? Do you use an exclusion cage to see how much they are actually feeding?

I have seen deer walk past green soybean leaves to get to a clover plot. I think it just depends on the time of year and what is in the area. If I was only going to have one food plot, it would probably have about 1/3rd clover (the other 2/3rds being alfalfa and chicory).
It’s right at a year. No I don’t use any but you make a good point I probably should

For my place, spring time is a non-use time for food plots. Everything in the woods is green and tender. Cereal grains are growing big a tough - but this is the time for clover to put on some bio-mass. I would not doubt that soybeans would be more attractive as a summer and fall crop than clover - but they are much more expensive and time consuming than clover and most likely will require and efence - which is very problematic when you have a number of one to seven acre food plots up to a mile from electricity. In addition, i cant get a tractor to half my ground in the spring. I have very good use of my clover june through august - or even sept if it isnt dried up

Me too. But I think we have naturally high PH in our neck of the woods.

Could give it a shot of foilar fertilizer. Not going to hurt and May be enough to get them using it.

I would say I have moderate deer numbers. If I don’t keep my clover and chicory plots under a 1/4 acre I won’t notice much for browse pressure at all.

They are more than likely using it just not abusing it. Maybe next fall you could dig up a couple strips in it and plant some nitrogen loving plant in the strips.

The decreased amount of clover will more than likely be adequate to keep up with nutritional needs and be so that you don’t need to ever mow it.

If I could have only one plant for a food plot it would be ladino clover.
.....and if I could only have two....the second one would be Cereal Rye. Do I hear a suggestion for a third?

.....and if I could only have two....the second one would be Cereal Rye. Do I hear a suggestion for a third?
Agreed on rye. Third would be soybeans

Clover is always good to have along with other plants . It’s very easy to maintain , easy to plant and deer love it. It’s another thing in the buffet . It’s best to have a variety of plants to chose from instead of one . I don’t think clover is as appealing as alfalfa or soybeans , but I also don’t think it should be left out.

My second would be standard wheat. Deer eat every head even with awns. Rye gets too tall too early and turkeys avoid those plots. If the deer leave any wheat heads, the doves will really use the plot thru summer as long as you keep it sprayed and clean.

I like beans, but they are expensive, much more laborious than wheat and clover, require a whole other planting season - and on my place - require an efence.

Clover and rye will smother weeds and clover provides nitrogen. Rye will germinate and provide in fall....then over-winter and provide mulch and scavenges N. Roots below the surface are gignormous too. So....there. Grin.

Sure it’s pretty, it’s very easy to manage weeds in, it is relatively nutritious but…I just don’t see it being that attractive. I have 2 plots that are beautiful and lush with a variety of clovers. One is maybe an acre and the other is 2 acres. I broadcasted wheat, rye, oats and brassicas into them but that was a fools errand as they are too thick with clover. I just don’t see the use out of that I would like. I have a camera looking down one and it sends me an automatic pic every evening about 30 minutes before dark, more often than not it’s empty…and I have too many deer. I know clover is popular with foodplotters but I wonder if it’s not more because of its ease to grow and manage rather than it’s attraction for deer. Just my experience with it.
Is it just clover in those 2 plots? They're probably just eating something else right now. When I used to plant a good bit of clover, I'd mix oats with it to give something to eat when they didn't want the clover. Clover use went up and down depending on what else was available at that time in the area. In those plots, if you can't overseed with other things and get them to come up because they're too thick, I'd disk them in to get the contact they need. Or, put strips of something else in between the clover.

Clover and rye will smother weeds and clover provides nitrogen. Rye will germinate and provide in fall....then over-winter and provide mulch and scavenges N. Roots below the surface are gignormous too. So....there. Grin.

4818538bff7469d7c85786f67c29f495.jpg

Things I AWLAYS find a way to get in my plots; clover, wheat, chicory!