Throw’n Grow

Wanabhunter

Yearling... With promise
IMG_3970.jpeg
This area gets decent lighting. It’s a mix of random natural grasses and golden rod then under the pines is nothing.

Could I do a throw and grow as in and have it work? Or would I have to rake it in? Trying not to disturb this area too much just trying to make it a little better.

Throw some cereal rye in there next Sept and see what it does.

You would definitely need to get town to bare dirt, it possible. A rage/leaf blower I think would be a minimum. And a weed-eater or mower for the grassy area.
Aside from that, cereal rye will grow in a pickup truck if it holds enough moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rye n clover. Pines may have low pH from the needles. I'd throw some lime in the pine area, and you have have a significant layer of thatch the seed cant easily get into without some sort of prep.

Far as disturbing, I'd spray it atleast initially, then weedwhack it down after throwing your seed. Driving a ATV around after throwing seed is a good option. Could take 3 tires and some rope or chain and make a tire drag. Nice plus is you can leave it there year after year.

I would lime it now, spray gly in Spring, wait two weeks and rake it down to bare dirt so the seeds can contact the soil. Then do a low dose of crimson clover early, followed by a good dose of rye in early Fall.

Hope springs eternal. This will blunt. I wouldn't waste my time. Light isnt the only limiting factor here. But if you can live with a “kicks and giggles” experiment give it a try. Expose the soil and throw down some rye. I wouldnt do anything else until it proves it can be done.