Beans vs soil builder mix

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
My new property did pretty good this year for first year, had three bucks over 130 using in regularly. We cut corn about three weeks ago and it’s getting hammered every evening often times with 20+ deer. I was surprised that 3.5 acres of corn wasn’t torn down by mid November.

With spring coming I’m trying to decide on forage. I’ll have roughly 3 acres to plant either beans/likely RW if I go this route and they’d be fenced. Or run a Vitalize/droptine/green cover mix.

Fall plan would be to add brassica or a grain to the beans. If ai went with the summer mix I’d likely run their blend or make my own if I can do so cheaper.

My goals are to help the fawns, build some bone, and provide year round food. I have an acre and half of clover attached to this plot so regardless of which route I go there will be some food.

Curious what you all think. My mind is telling me do the mix so my deer have access and potentially hold a bachelor group which hasn’t happened on this property in past and invite a buck or two to set up shop. Just curious on yalls opinions.

I prefer the mix. Don't have to fence, spray, etc. Should produce more biomass and be more drought resistant.

Reactions: Kev
I’m thinking for my goals a mix is ideal, living 2000 miles away it makes sense to plant something I have to worry less about. I was just curious if there were any diehard bean guys that would jump in and tell me why beans would be a must.

Probably a stupid question, keep in mind I’ve lived in Arizona for 18 years and do all my farming from afar so I don’t have the hands on experiences, question is I know these mixes like Vitalize are ratio for specific purposes, but what about adding additional beans to one of these mixes. What would adding 25lbs or more do??? These mixes have beans already but I’m anticipating them getting hammered and would like to add to the draw?

Assuming you have average deer density say 15-20 dpsm, 3 acres of beans won't last long. If you plant too heavy on the beans, that can stunt their growth. Outside of food, beans offer little to no biomass addition. Beans don't regenerate much forage either after browsing.

The advantage to some of the vitalize mixes is that they include lots of plants with biomass in addition to the beans, plus plants that regenerate forage after browsing like forage turnips, forage brassicas. Add some red & white clover to the mix and it will fix nitrogen in the soil plus regenerate after browsing.

In the fall, overseed with 100 lbs of WR for additional food into the fall. When spring comes around, the WR & clover will emerge early for doe & fawn food source. The WR will provide fawn cover also.

Assuming you have average deer density say 15-20 dpsm, 3 acres of beans won't last long. If you plant too heavy on the beans, that can stunt their growth. Outside of food, beans offer little to no biomass addition. Beans don't regenerate much forage either after browsing.

The advantage to some of the vitalize mixes is that they include lots of plants with biomass in addition to the beans, plus plants that regenerate forage after browsing like forage turnips, forage brassicas. Add some red & white clover to the mix and it will fix nitrogen in the soil plus regenerate after browsing.

In the fall, overseed with 100 lbs of WR for additional food into the fall. When spring comes around, the WR & clover will emerge early for doe & fawn food source. The WR will provide fawn cover also.
Thoughts on a broadcast of the wr clover into the vitalize mix? Would it need to be drilled or would broadcast +rain work

Thoughts on a broadcast of the wr clover into the vitalize mix? Would it need to be drilled or would broadcast +rain work

WR will germinate in the back of a pick-up truck. Both WR and clover can be broadcasted and will do well. Rain will help with soil contact I can't completely speak for your specific situation as you have not shared your location or soil type.

Southeast Ohio and heavy soil.

Getting stuff like tillage radishes, turnips, etc. will help to break up soil. WR will also help.

Southeast Ohio and heavy soil.
If you mow the summer mix after spreading seed it will help.

Take a day and read the throw and mow thread by @Crimson n' Camo. It will answer all of these questions, and ones it doesn’t come back here after and most of this will make sense.

Another good thread/forum is the Lickcreek (aka ... BblTree) area ...

Tree spud. I broadcasted 200 pounds of winter rye last fall on multiple 1 acre parcels and unlike your pickup truck mine never germinated. Ughhh. Not sure if it was the total almost 40 day drought or just plain crappy seed. So this year I'm going to try buckwheat at 50 pounds per acre and 50 pounds of summer release mix and see what happens.

Tree spud. I broadcasted 200 pounds of winter rye last fall on multiple 1 acre parcels and unlike your pickup truck mine never germinated. Ughhh. Not sure if it was the total almost 40 day drought or just plain crappy seed. So this year I'm going to try buckwheat at 50 pounds per acre and 50 pounds of summer release mix and see what happens.t
Randomnly grab some seeds from the bags. Then pick 50 randomly from that. Put them in a shallow pan of soil. I use a potted plant saucer. Treat the seed well, not too wet though. each seed that grows is 2% germination.

Rye is about as easy as it gets, but it still has needs. No rain, no luck......

Soybeans can be great or disappointing. 3 acres will get trashed. I'd do the mix. IF anything I'd add perennial clover. It just takes time to grow.

IF you did well with corn, you could do that again. I'd mix in ladino clover as an insurance policy. Ladino doen't grow too fast or too tall, others might compete more.

What's your foodplot competition in the area?

Randomnly grab some seeds from the bags. Then pick 50 randomly from that. Put them in a shallow pan of soil. I use a potted plant saucer. Treat the seed well, not too wet though. each seed that grows is 2% germination.

Rye is about as easy as it gets, but it still has needs. No rain, no luck......

Soybeans can be great or disappointing. 3 acres will get trashed. I'd do the mix. IF anything I'd add perennial clover. It just takes time to grow.

IF you did well with corn, you could do that again. I'd mix in ladino clover as an insurance policy. Ladino doen't grow too fast or too tall, others might compete more.

What's your foodplot competition in the area?
There’s no corn or beans for about 2 miles, maybe 3. Got a guy that plants smaller plots mile n half away. There are folks close by running corn piles which I’ll have couple feeders out to combat/compete.

Got an acre and half of ladino mixed in with RW clover, frost seeded two weeks ago. Looking to do a few smaller pockets of bedding cuts, add water holes, etc…. Def leaning toward the Vitalize mix, may run it side by side with Snavelys summer blend for comparison. I was also thinking about adding some extra beans to the mix.

Tree spud. I broadcasted 200 pounds of winter rye last fall on multiple 1 acre parcels and unlike your pickup truck mine never germinated. Ughhh. Not sure if it was the total almost 40 day drought or just plain crappy seed. So this year I'm going to try buckwheat at 50 pounds per acre and 50 pounds of summer release mix and see what happens.

That is very surprising. WR is about the easiest to grow via broadcasting. It only needs soil contact, moisture, and some heat.

If the WR failed, why would buckwheat do any better?

Food plotters had some rough times in parts of the US last summer. Don't let it distract you. But, always have a plan B. Know where you can get rye, oats, or turnips/ radish locally IF you go there and yor summer plot is a bust.

I only do 2-3 acres of smaller food plots, but always have a bag or oats, 2 bags of rye, and atleast 10lbs of clover around at all times. Just ordered a 50lb bag of crimson clover the other day from seed world.