Row pines converted to food plot- any advise?

Binney59

A good 3 year old buck
I have a few acres of row pines in central Wisconsin and I would like to convert a small patch were a bunch tipped over into a food plot. Anyone had success doing so? Any recommended plantings?

I have a tractor and grapple to clear the trees, is it critical to remove the stumps? I was thinking of more of a throw and grow if possible for that reason. Thank you!

Our camp cut a bunch of pines too. Without major work to amend the soil, we tried grain rye and some buckwheat. Both grow / grew for us without major soil work. Old-time farmers would plant buckwheat in newly-broken ground because it grew without fuss. Both BW and rye grain have worked for us.

Our camp is in north-central Pa. mountains ......... YMMV. Where are you located?? Might help for others to give planting advice if you give your location.

I'm guessing if you're in central wisconsin pine country, you've got sandy soil? I'd want to get the stumps pulled out or buzzed off with a grinder/forestry mulcher if they're small enough. If you're going to have that property for the long haul and that plot for the long haul, I'd get the stumps out. You're going to enjoy working it and looking at it far more once it's cleaned up.

If it's new ground, I'd always grow a full cycle of rye all the way to August of next year. I like to hold my stuff in perennials all the time, but I'd do it for at least a year or two while you're holding back the weeds that'd come from all the disturbance. Plus, if it's sandy, that rye duff is gonna help keep you in the game for next fall.

If you're central WI, you've probably also got high deer numbers. Here's a mix I'd do: Rye, collards, sorghum sudan, japanese millet, yellow sweet clover, chicory, plantain. That's the expensive one.

A simpler one: Rye, a bag of mixed bird seed, yellow sweet clover, chicory

I'm guessing if you're in central wisconsin pine country, you've got sandy soil? I'd want to get the stumps pulled out or buzzed off with a grinder/forestry mulcher if they're small enough. If you're going to have that property for the long haul and that plot for the long haul, I'd get the stumps out. You're going to enjoy working it and looking at it far more once it's cleaned up.

If it's new ground, I'd always grow a full cycle of rye all the way to August of next year. I like to hold my stuff in perennials all the time, but I'd do it for at least a year or two while you're holding back the weeds that'd come from all the disturbance. Plus, if it's sandy, that rye duff is gonna help keep you in the game for next fall.

If you're central WI, you've probably also got high deer numbers. Here's a mix I'd do: Rye, collards, sorghum sudan, japanese millet, yellow sweet clover, chicory, plantain. That's the expensive one.

A simpler one: Rye, a bag of mixed bird seed, yellow sweet clover, chicory
Thank you!

I bought a pine plantation from a timber company. Made about ten acres of plots and some trails through the land and logged off much of the maturing timber.

One good thing about pine trees is that the stumps are soft wood......and easy to grind out. I ground several hundred out with a rental grinder (walk alongside 25 hp hydraulic model) and we could do about 300 on a good day. Did this until buying a Woods 3 Point stump grinder. Over several years.....I ground out nearly 4000 stumps (lost count). The neat thing about a stump grinder is that when your done.....there is nothing to move or bury. I think it's the way to take care of stumps.....a bit of work and expense.....but the best way to deal with them.

The other thing that is important is to get the PH to the proper level. Usually you will need a few tons of lime to correct the soil PH in pine country.