Suggestions

Robert86

5 year old buck +
Just wanted some opinions, I have a one acre plot with rye in it yet from last year, I want to plant turnips and radishes in it come roughly August 1st. Do I leave it until then, spread seed and cultipack it, or use some spray as well? Or mow it, disc it and spread seed then? I would usually mow it, disc it then spread seed but was wondering if I could get away with spreading and cultipacking. Or if anyone has different ideas im all ears, Im in wisconsin, thanks in advance!

I'm no expert by any means on food plots, but following the advice of guys on here - we've broadcast radishes & turnips into standing buckwheat (as it was turning yellow) - and then had good luck with just cultipacking the buckwheat so as to roll it down over the seed. The flattened BW thatch acted as a mulch of sorts and kept more moisture in the soil. I learned this from AG guys on here that have much more experience at this stuff!!

Unless you want rye regen i'd terminate the rye prior to seed heads becoming viable which is likely prior to August 1st. Spraying is a good way to terminate if you want to wait until 8/1 to seed because you can leave it standing and then broadcast seed and mow or roll the rye on top of it.

Last edited:
I’d mow asap ( or before Rye goes to seed) then disc a few times, pack, seed, re-pack . Obviously the discing and seeding do as close to a rain day as you can within your planting window of brassicas. It all depends on how picky you are with your plots as well . You got weeds in it now? I know the Rye helps with that but should still take a look. If you got lots of weeds now, without Gly or discing , your germination rate will definitely decrease . More than one way to do a plot as we all know.

I have had very good luck here with broadcasting then mowing or rolling and getting thatch on the ground. I very seldom work the ground for brassicas. I can’t remember when I didn’t have a great stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mowed all my rye last week. I'll spray and spread brassicas over the mowed rye hopefully late July before a good thunderstorm.

Related Q……I hope.

I have Wr with clover under it from last years planting…..the goal was a nice clover plot and it seems to be working.

I’m going to disc some strips for brassicas later this summer but most of it is going to stay clover for this and next year.

Since I don’t want to mow it until after the fawns are mobile, I think my rye will mature and drop seed into the clover.

I shouldn’t need to terminate the Wr in this instance, should I ?

Related Q……I hope.

I have Wr with clover under it from last years planting…..the goal was a nice clover plot and it seems to be working.

I’m going to disc some strips for brassicas later this summer but most of it is going to stay clover for this and next year.

Since I don’t want to mow it until after the fawns are mobile, I think my rye will mature and drop seed into the clover.

If there is clover in your rye, your rye won’t be a volunteering problem.

Related Q……I hope.

I did this last year and if you leave the rye standing you will end up with a clover plot with some rye in it the following fall. No worries, it works out really well. I am incorporating this into my rotations just to free up some time. Plant it in the fall and you literally don't need to mess with the plot until the following fall, where I give it a mowing before hunting season.

If there is clover in your rye, your rye won’t be a volunteering problem.

There is red clover in the rye, and there is barely any weeds, I'm not extremely picky when it comes to plots, I'm more picky about my farm crops. At the end of the day it's a plot for the deer, not trying to make money of the crops compared to my ag fields.

20230623_142649.jpg20230623_142647.jpg

On Friday I cultipack the rye, gonna wait 3 weeks to spray, then spread the turnips and radishes, and then cultipack it again. It's only an acre so I'm trying it to see what happens. Was amazed with how dry it is here, most of the rye was over 5 feet tall, some was taller than me and I'm 6 foot.