Opinions on a few more deer ages.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
Fawns are not born in my area till often August or September, so the 1.5 age thing isn’t exactly right. A Yearling is often only right at 1 year old.

Do you think these two deer are yearlings or 2 year olds? They have slim bellies, and antlers do not extend anteriorly to nose or past. Their necks are swelling pre rut, but they are still traveling together.

IMG_3131.jpegIMG_3132.jpeg

In my areas of the world id go 3 & (big) 2 -respectively
I know for a fact 99% of hunters in my area would put these two down no questions asked.

Three year old top picture.

Four year old bottom picture.

The nose is longer on lower photo.

Nice ones to not shoot IMO

i guess the lower one could be 3 also

Last edited:
Both look like solid 2 year olds to me

4+ & 3.

I often find mid sized bucks like pictured hang out together, even while rutting.

The one I got this year was looking for its buddies…….I blew a stalk on them three days earlier.

This one saw me and hauled azz up the mountaim.
Then I went back differently and spooked the other two the day before I got the shot. They hauled ass into the valley after one of them caught my thermal.

I am thinking it’s 3.

It came in nearly trotting looking for something.

170 yard shot with a savage 220.

Attachments

• 6CB97577-923A-4055-B1DF-5EF4D8E6FADF.jpeg
    6CB97577-923A-4055-B1DF-5EF4D8E6FADF.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
My ground - three plus on both of them., They are in great shape for this time of year. Wouldnt bother me to shoot the first and maybe even the second. On my ground, those deer might get older, but antlers are getting much bigger - if any.

I know for a fact 99% of hunters in my area would put these two down no questions asked.
Thats becoming most areas

My rational on the first being 3 was the start of a gut an stained tarsals.

The second has a hunched back, long legs, deep notch going into the op of his neck, cinched waist and light on mass.

I hate when i get age judgey on racks....and thats where regionality matters a bunch.

The top deer appears to be about 4 feet closer to the camera.
The lower deer although farther away appears longer.

If fawns are born aug/sept and they gestate 201 days. They would conceive in February ? So Christmas time would be pre rut?
year one …..button fawn
year two …..spike to six point
year three…..spike to 8
year four ….four to 10?

If fawns are born aug/sept and they gestate 201 days. They would conceive in February ? So Christmas time would be pre rut?
year one …..button fawn
year three…..spike to 8
year four ….four to 10?
The deep south has various breeding periods. Some of this can be attributed to restocking areas from different portions of the country, while others are due to environmental factors such as having fawns not being born during typical river flood stages. In Louisiana, breeding seasons are between Sep 26-Feb 26 depending on the area of the state. So, fawns are typically born between Apr 14-Sep 15 depending on the area of the state.

In your age ranges listed, I'd consider the button fawn to be a fawn. After his first year of life, and when he gets his first set of antlers when he turns a year old, I'd consider him to be a one year old buck (1.5YO). A two year old would have made it into 3 hunting seasons. His first would have been as a fawn, his second as a 1.5YO, and now his 3rd as a 2.5YO.

Last edited:
Ok I think I get it.

A buck loses the age of being a fawn. So it’s one year at the first year of visible legal antler growth?

But I still believe the lower deer is older than the upper deer.

Its nose and it’s body is longer in relation to its depth.

Last edited:
year one …..button fawn
year three…..spike to 8
year four ….four to 10?
Yes. Our rut is late January.

year one …..button fawn
year three…..spike to 8
year four ….four to 10?
And yes. Pre rut has started now. Get some does in heat now due to all the genetic diversity from stocking in 1950s.