Ohio Farm Tours

Often people hear me call our property “the farm”.

It’s easy to think it’s just a recreational piece of ground and just a term used to define such. However, it is much more than that to me!

By federal classification it is a tree farm. So what does that mean? That means we take a great amount of pride and work to ensure great quality forest regeneration and timber value with a focus on maximizing wildlife habitat as well.

Over the past several years I’ve been working on removing invasives through very controlled and precise herbicide treatments. 100% a laborious process but a necessary one.

This past week my good friend Brian Scott and I worked on a ”cull” tree removal. This involved hours of running saws to open up the canopy and release many great oaks - in an 11 acre area.

Many of Ohio forests are dominated by maples, beech and other species that don’t allow our native oaks to flourish (oaks are slow growers and with the absence of fire on the landscape, we’ve seen most forestland dominated by less desirable species). Couple this with relatively high deer densities and we don’t see oak regen as we once did or that our grandparents would have noticed.

By performing a cull tree removal not only do we enhance timber value now and likely in the future. We also have greatly enhanced wildlife habitat through opening the canopy- allowing sunlight to the forest floor.

All of this can be successfully summed up by the simple sighting of woodcock last Spring and flushing ruffed grouse just last week.

I cannot promise Ohio’s forestlands will change much in this life - we have a lot of education needing done at the macro level.

However, I can promise on my farm from the trees to soils to the wildlife, I’ll always give it my absolute best to ensure conservation is a top priority.

Next time you see someone running a saw - I hope this gives you a different perspective.
01786002-0E01-46BC-B805-5F4E04FB6DCB.jpegBDBDDE5E-86E2-4AF8-8D2A-746F6C356353.jpeg377187E7-C5ED-4B81-87E0-3411A8367F61.jpegA7CDFB64-B178-4DB2-88D7-0FCE47A782CB.jpeg2CE83B40-9DD4-4513-A6C8-A4999D5DE49B.jpeg25D2B5CA-5F2A-4BC9-AE2B-F56BDBAF8177.jpeg

I do quite a bit of canopy release myself. I try to get back to each area about every ten years or so. Some of mine is crop tree management but other areas it’s for mast tree production that I will likely never harvest for timber as I’d rather have the acorns.

I do quite a bit of canopy release myself. I try to get back to each area about every ten years or so. Some of mine is crop tree management but other areas it’s for mast tree production that I will likely never harvest for timber as I’d rather have the acorns.
Very nice!! I am in equip programs so I must manage the forest per state forester recommendations. It works out really well and we are very happy with the plans!! Looking forward to adding more acreage under the plans on the upcoming years.

Very nice!! I am in equip programs so I must manage the forest per state forester recommendations. It works out really well and we are very happy with the plans!! Looking forward to adding more acreage under the plans on the upcoming years.

I am going through some of the steps to apply for equip and wondering if it’s worth it in the end. Thoughts?

I am going through some of the steps to apply for equip and wondering if it’s worth it in the end. Thoughts?
100%%%% I have only good experiences and it helps to pay for work I’d be doing otherwise.

Really excited to plant my Spring mix!!! Still snowing in Ohio, ugh!

E8A4760C-8666-4FC2-BE6D-D145A26237BD.jpeg

05CC4FB5-AD77-469B-8025-189F42285F01.jpeg
A great memory of this post popped up today from 2021!!

Dead and decaying pepper plant in garden

Rye grain and clover germinating around it - feeding microbes!!

Finding an earthworm doing my “tilling” for me - Big Win!!

As you increase soil health, worm densities increase- doing the hard work for you. Worms create castings (a soil aggregate) and soil pores that hold water and allow the soil microbes to move through the soil and benefit both crops and soil - symbiosis!!

Why aggregates are good for our soil - Top Crop Manager

Aggregates (or peds) are those crumbly bits of soil that we find in woodlands and native prairies. Well-aggregated soil is highly productive even under adverse weather conditions. It has strength that resists water and wind erosion and compaction. It allows water infiltration and internal...
www.topcropmanager.com

Don’t forget to slowdown and enjoy these small victories in this marathon journey

Great weekend. Sharing some of my thoughts on Lime and a few resources you can checkout if interested!

FA40FC08-36E2-4832-B5DC-C06FBFE7FF0D.jpeg
Vitalize Seed Carbon Load is still feeding deer well into Spring.

This is the benefit of balanced diversity and cold hardy plant species.

Although we are still seeing light snow and cold temps here in Ohio every week, we are also seeing sunny days and some 50+ degree temps. This is allowing our rye, triticale, winter wheat, vetch’s, clovers, etc. to photosynthesize.

Photosynthesis means we are feeding the soil, and when you feed the soil, you produce healthy plants that provide quality food for healthy deer!!

Planting time for Nitro Boost is around the corner!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0DD81F24-77C4-4838-9231-1F5278B15D4C.jpeg
Today was a good day!!!

Oversized smokies cooked up!!

Quick update on the Spring mix! My mix or someone else’s - be cognizant of soil temps!! Thanks for watching.

Taking soil samples - GPS tip!

Soil sample tips -

Few tips for selling timber

1C0A679A-0338-4193-82D9-41252A5FF04B.png
Great book! Really enjoyed reading this one and learned a lot.

As much as I feel I comprehend, every book I read allows me to further realize how much there is to learn.

If you like to garden, foodplot, farm, etc. this is a great read!

What was the gist of the book? I’ve blown my book budget for the near term. Been reading a lot about iodine and baking soda.

What was the gist of the book? I’ve blown my book budget for the near term. Been reading a lot about iodine and baking soda.

Are you familiar with Albretch’s balancing soil? It’s similar to that in respect to understanding CEC and soil structure. Due to Albretch’s style of writing and time he lived, I always find his books a bit higher level. I feel this is easier to comprehend for just about any level of experience. They go through a lot of soil samples, suggestion on how/what sticks out, etc.

One of my favorite examples they talk about is in the turf industry and how they took two samples nect to each other. One removed the top layer of sod - the other not. It made a large difference in the nutrient readings on the test reports. I found this super interesting as they actually had it quantified and I see this on folks tests often - consistency is king.

Overall a great balance of soil structure chemistry, synergies/antagonism, soil tests and more.

Are you familiar with Albretch’s balancing soil? It’s similar to that in respect to understanding CEC and soil structure. Due to Albretch’s style of writing and time he lived, I always find his books a bit higher level. I feel this is easier to comprehend for just about any level of experience. They go through a lot of soil samples, suggestion on how/what sticks out, etc.

One of my favorite examples they talk about is in the turf industry and how they took two samples nect to each other. One removed the top layer of sod - the other not. It made a large difference in the nutrient readings on the test reports. I found this super interesting as they actually had it quantified and I see this on folks tests often - consistency is king.

Overall a great balance of soil structure chemistry, synergies/antagonism, soil tests and more.

Can’t say I’m familiar. I was just curious if it was a system of testing and adding or crop focused or methods focused. There’s a giant gap of research not being done on perennial systems and what happens in that year 2+ around the sciences.