Ohio Farm Tours

I get asked a lot about our Vitalize Seed mixes.

I love our mixes and this is why we put so much effort into the carbon to nitrogen ratios and nutrient cycling. We strive to be different because the scientific evidence is out there and growing!!

In summary
This study shows the importance of pfla testing and how we must focus on achieving more fungal dominated soils over time (reducing disturbance is key here as is diversity). This helps to create aggregates that help “hold” the soil together and cycle nutrients (both plant and bacterial aspects).

As you optimize biology through diversity, you optimize mineralization of both OM and rock in the soil profile. This study further points out the cycling of bacterial to fungal C/N (and others) uptake and release into the system, further maximization of nutrient cycling. Literally cycling the microbes back into the system to feed other plants and microbes!!!

Hope you all enjoy Willie Pretorius’ work as much as I enjoyed it.

Happy New Year!!
DE990100-C526-48F9-ACF9-7EA8140D43CD.jpegA0E50F46-C51F-474E-AF5D-43C91AA22841.jpegE64B11F5-7993-4F2A-AF9D-CC3682D8A039.jpegF44D994D-B3C6-41CB-9EDE-0A637DD0215E.jpeg29EF6C7C-11BD-4FB1-A027-EC153CEF2448.jpeg7175A061-4324-4CAD-ADB1-36E32C329747.jpeg

The Late Season Buck Finale

As many know I am blessed to own and manage a sizeable farm in Eastern Ohio. Soil and whitetails are a massive part of my life. On the farm, we manage strictly for age structure and doe densities albeit one young buck was shot by my youth cousin this year (amazing experience as a family).

My day-to-day job(s) keep me extremely busy, and my home life is loaded with all the activities an 18-month-old could desire, lol!

This past year I was fortunate to become very good friends with my buddy Tyler. Tyler and I split permission spots around the home. We planted food plots, he knocked on several doors and got us more spots as well. In total, we had around 300 acres we could hunt between a few spots. Some of the larger tracts we are managing just like I manage the farm - age age age and a focus on doe harvest. Some others are a bit laxer due to size and neighborhood. On several of the small chunks the landowners grant permission but want us to harvest plenty of does - so that’s been a top priority as well.

As you can imagine - time is my most limiting factor. Adding farms/properties is awesome but it’s also a lot of work. With a family at home and two jobs, I simply needed to focus on what I could control.

After countless sits at the farm and passing several young bucks, monitoring trail cameras, and deciding I wanted all (but one or two) to make it to next season - I switched my focus to some of the farms Tyler and I worked hard to set up.

Side note - right before Thanksgiving Tyler (US Marine) has his friends, who also served, come to town to hunt. The one‘s wife also came. Tyler asked me if I cared if she hunted one particular spot, we had a big 8 coming by the camera. Without hesitation, I said “go for it, I hope she kills him”. Unfortunately- he did come in but the shot missed its mark. This was deflating for me as at the time he was the only deer locally I was interested in and I was more bummed for the young lady (we’ve all been there).

I digress - After the holidays hit, life just gets even busier. We have our son in a swimming program that’s once a day - and a major time commitment after work as we have to drive about 25 mins. There goes my hunting time, right? Well, luckily, I have a wonderful wife who understands cold fronts (ask her if she did 10 years ago lol).

After monitoring weather patterns every week, sitting in stands and getting skunked (in spots I normally see 10+ deer). I was feeling burnout.

Fast forward to the first week of January, and I marked the family calendar to hunt Thursday due to the major weather shift. Thursday came and I started work very early, worked through my lunch and headed to stand that afternoon. I had the wind blowing from the thicket to the food plot (SE)- not ideal but I knew I’d have an advantage for a short period of time and needed to move quickly once the deer got down wind.

As if I have it all figured out haha, around 345pm a deer comes from a thicket downwind of me and busts me - great, hunts over (I am kicking myself as they never come from that direction). As I am sulking, at 427pm -I look to my right, the thicket where I expected deer to come from - and this buck was cruising in - fast. Within 3mins, I decided to shoot him. Calmed myself, enjoyed the process of aiming (thanks Brock), and let it fly. I knew the shot was good, but I hit off the side leg and didn’t get pass-through. The deer ran into a large overgrown blackberry/golden rod field - so I knew tracking wouldn’t be easy. Luckily- I heard the deer crash - 10-15 seconds after the shot.

The track was fairly uneventful- although wasn’t easy. After wrestling with some blackberry brambles, I spotted a white belly, and relief set in! It is amazing no matter how confident I am in the shot until the buck is in the truck, there is always some level of doubt.

Once I pulled the buck from the bush where he expired, I was shocked as this buck looked even bigger on the ground than he did from the stand - that’s a first lol! He has great character and will eat great. He weighed just shy of 170lb dressed.

All in all - what I learned this season.

• Remember to always enjoy the hunts, they can change fast.
  • Work hard to find multiple spots to hunt - it helps to alleviate the pressure of managing one singular farm.
  • Hunt with friends and enjoy their success as much or more than your own.
  • When setting a stand - put the bow hook where you can grab the bow with minimal movement. I was able to lift my bow, draw, and shoot without the buck ever looking my way.
  • Sharing the moment with my son - is priceless.
Thanks for reading. Be safe all! Time to rest and get ready for next season.

Albert47E101B4-1F61-493E-A373-340C8B07862C.jpegB62E1159-3584-4D5A-B26F-C8947E28DAB1.jpeg3E877641-15FD-4CFE-9F43-BECAE05344E6.jpegE385D2DB-DF43-49CD-B8A9-384E85614870.jpegC23A1B74-84B2-4388-8082-370061203066.jpeg

The benefits of highly diverse mixes. No matter the deer pressure - you almost never wipe the plate clean.

43FDADDD-1B08-4E46-A518-F4010A87FED2.jpeg

As we receive some warm temps - the highly diverse mixes pop and photosynthesis is happening. Tell me the deer don’t notice where energy is being transferred?! Amazing!!

6A116DB4-17AD-4B73-80B9-191177CD0FB2.jpeg4B3024C0-661F-4B4D-A5C7-3A7E0F02473D.jpeg5DB4D48F-5784-4879-AB75-A1BCB8196596.jpeg

Really pumped to be selling my mix again this year! Adjusted mix to make it more diverse and even more balanced. Can’t wait to plant. Pre orders now open!

Really pumped to be selling my mix again this year! Adjusted mix to make it more diverse and even more balanced. Can’t wait to plant. Pre orders now open!

@Weezy hey buddy - said quoted but I don’t see any words?! Haha idk maybe an accident but wanted to ask.

Have a great day all!!

Yup my mistake. Just reading your updates. Congrats on your buck!

I do that often haha! Thank you for reading and the congrats. Time for next years planning!!

Soil Health Thursday - Thatch Creation:

As we close in on Spring - we start to take on a lot of questions about our mixes.

One common concern is thatch - too much or too little.

The key to our system is microbial nutrient cycling.

As we plant our mixes & implement the 6 soil health principles (to the best of our ability), we further enhance our fungal networks. These networks break down higher carbon to nitrogen crops, fast and efficiently.

This helps us release these nutrients faster for our next Vitalize crop. Having a diverse mixture of plant species in our mix also helps balance the nutrient release into the soil profile.

So when using the Vitalize System, we must continue to focus on the process!

NitroBoost is our Spring planted mix that is formulated to have a lower C:N ratio than our Fall mix (Carbon Load). Nitro-Boost has enough diversity to simulate the soil biology for added nutrient density (better taste), more nutrition per bite (healthier), and breaks down quickly to feed the fall mix (Carbon Load) for maximum tonnage. We do all of this without relying exclusively on inputs.

If interested in more - give us a call!

VitalizeSeed.com

Albert and Jared

I strive to never stop learning. I truly love helping people with all of their soil needs and question. Whether they use our mixes or not, I always love the dialog to help influence and educate on better soil health practices and understand. I always learn from these conversations as well.

None of this would be possible without learning from folks like Dr. William Albrecht (and many others). Dr. William was born in the late 1880s and was centuries ahead of his time!!! I am truly humbled to get to read his work and books!! This passage hit the nail on the head in his book “Soil Fertility and Animal Health”.

I promise to never stop learning and sharing information!!

275D9537-575B-43E9-8168-8780DE56E341.jpeg

I do not see any info on the seed mixes in the Nitro boost or carbon load on thewebsite?

I do not see any info on the seed mixes in the Nitro boost or carbon load on thewebsite?

I am very sorry about that! I have note into guy who manages website. It was on there, idk where it went. Thanks for the heads up!!

I will adjust this slightly but as you see below is the fall mix. I am working on why my Nitro boost isn't populating on the website.

What is in Carbon Load:

• Triticale• Wheat• Forage Peas
• Winter Rye• Oats• Buckwheat
• Hairy Vetch• Dixie Crimson Clover• Medium Red Clover
• Daikon Radish• Appin Forage Turnips• Winfred Forage Brasicas
• Fixation Balansa Clover• Purple Tot Turnip• Barkant Turnip
• Frosty Berseem

NitroBoost
• Spring Barley • Forage Peas
• Soybeans • Eagle Beans
• Cow peas • Sunn Hemp
• Buckwheat • LabLab
• American Joint Vetch
• Sunflowers • Hybrid Sorghum
• Crimson Clover • Forage Rape

I cannot wait until Spring!

Spring can be a tough time on wildlife and soils. By ensuring we have green plants, we ensure we have adequate photosynthesis capture. This helps to feed the soil microbes and our wildlife - when the rest of the whitetail world is still waking up from winter.

Pictured is carbon load - planted fall of 2021 and photographed Spring of 2022.76EB57CD-C426-45D5-97EA-8A93E403D175.jpeg16D24849-4D0D-4545-9E03-E7E6231EE96E.jpegA24455F9-24F2-49AC-A9EB-406BEC6A613E.jpeg

Attachments

• C0A8C7F9-57F2-4807-91CA-9235DB673480.jpeg
    C0A8C7F9-57F2-4807-91CA-9235DB673480.jpeg
    989.5 KB · Views: 3
Well a few updates on the farm
1. Meeting contractor tomorrow for fencing and gate install on new property. One thing I have found critical to improving hunting is keeping folks off. Even if it’s just joy riding - it has to be prevented.
2. I have 6 acres of overly mature pines, spruce, etc. I am going to be meeting an Amish logger to give me a quote. My state and consulting forester told me “take whatever you can get for them”. So I am hopeful I can make a little money. This is also a big, flat ridge. My goal is to add about 2 acres of food here and leave the other as secondary successional habitat/oak regen.

Hopefully- I’ll update with pictures in a week or two!

Albert

If interested in diving into soils a bit more….you might like this podcast. Thanks to Neil for having me on!

Do you list your mix components on your website? I didn’t look too long, but if they are there, they didn’t pop out to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk