Northern WI Buck Only

The more interesting scenario is the private tract next to the public ground in a zero doe tag county who has the juicy habitat/foodplots/thermal bedding and many deer. Will He be allowed to join Dmap and be issued doe tags for his "hotspot" problem while the rest of the county or public tract next door has no doe tags?
It will be very interesting to see how that all plays out. If "Joe Public" catches wind of it, there will be outrage for sure. Just another one of those "unintended consequences" you spoke of. What is the other alternative though? Allow the deer on the overpopulated private land to totally decimate the landowners habitat until the deer eat themselves out of house and home and are forced to move on to the public land to find a food or bedding source? Catch 22 for sure.

They should also make everyone declare( for doe tags only) public or private land guy. It's simply not fair for the public land only hunter not to get first crack at the public land doe tags in August.
Impossible to control and monitor.

I can only speak for my area but I feel that these changes this year and in years to follow are going to greatly improve the deer herd and therefore the deer hunting on both public and private lands. Sure there will be a learning curve and "adjustments" to the system will be necessary. I caught a lot of crap when I commended the DNR a couple months ago for making some tough choices and having a job where you certainly have no means of making everyone happy. Again only speaking for my general area but I'm sure others are now feeling the same way about their areas.

Very easy to control. Just like the doe tags will be stamped public or private, the guys license upon purchase(for doe only) would be designated public or private. Just like xbow vs. vertical vs. firearm.
Buck tags are valid anywhere and many hunters hunt on both private and public lands. Asking someone to declare if they are a private or public land hunter is unreasonable. Asking someone to choose private or public for a specific tag is reasonable.

Please read my quote.("for doe only")
I understand what you are saying but consider this. Private land guy wants public land doe tag. He declares himself a public land hunter to get to the front of the public land doe tag line and then uses his "public hunter" buck tag on the private land he hunts anyway.

One issue I see with the above comments is that with so many now owning both MFL Open(public) and MFL Closed(private), many people would find it unreasonable to force those guys into choosing which tag to use or restricting them to one or the other. I personally would see no issue with forcing those owners to use the private tags only and leave the public tags for other public land only hunters to have the opportunity to get an antlerless permit and harvest a deer from the MFL Open land.

Agreed Nofo, none of this will affect buck tags.

No you don't. Buck tags are statewide and not land specific already, Nothing would change on the buck tag.
Yes and the new doe tag system has the hunter purchasing either a private land or public land tag. There is no effective and reasonable way to issue public land doe tags to public land hunters first and then private land hunters seeking a public land doe tag second. Just because you are a private land hunter should not limit your ability to obtain a public land doe tag which in some cases may be for a completely different zone than where that private land hunters private land is even located at.

I can only speak for my area but I feel that these changes this year and in years to follow are going to greatly improve the deer herd and therefore the deer hunting on both public and private lands. Sure there will be a learning curve and "adjustments" to the system will be necessary. I caught a lot of crap when I commended the DNR a couple months ago for making some tough choices and having a job where you certainly have no means of making everyone happy. Again only speaking for my general area but I'm sure others are now feeling the same way about their areas.
bueller, you can certainly speak for "my" area.;)

I'm in an area with limited private land doe tags and extremely limited public land doe tags. If I want a doe tag for each, which I don't, I would be purchasing a private land tag first and then a public land tag second.

Yes and the new doe tag system has the hunter purchasing either a private land or public land tag. There is no effective and reasonable way to issue public land doe tags to public land hunters first and then private land hunters seeking a public land doe tag second. Just because you are a private land hunter should not limit your ability to obtain a public land doe tag which in some cases may be for a completely different zone than where that private land hunters private land is even located at.
Unfortunately what you say here is true and if there was an effective way, I do feel strongly that those private landowners should not have the same ability to get a public land tag as a strictly public land hunter. What you are saying is part of the problem on public properties all around our area bueller. I have lived and hunted there all my life and I can tell you firsthand that many of the private farm owners south of Mauston and New Lisbon that I know personally have refused for years to shoot does off of their own overpopulated farms yet they will drive up to the Refuge and go on a doe killing spree every season to fill their freezers. It is wrong and a bunch of BS, IMO. Especially now that the DNR has a means to restrict this type of behavior and force those guys to harvest the overpopulated does that they like to claim crop damage against each year. The underlined area in your quote is exactly why this should be the case. If you own a farm you should have to harvest a doe off your own place before you are allowed to harvest a doe off of public land and take that opportunity away from a hunter with no land of their own. Sounds harsh I know, but it is the reality of it. The only exception would be that if there were no antlerless tags available in the zone that your private land is in. Would all of this be a logistical PIA, sure. Impossible, not with todays computer systems.

Last edited:
I'm in an area with limited private land doe tags and extremely limited public land doe tags. If I want a doe tag for each, which I don't, I would be purchasing a private land tag first and then a public land tag second.
Again, I personally know many farmers who would purchase the public land doe tag and not even bother with a private land tag, because they have no intention of ever harvesting a doe off their own private farms.

Alot of this conversation sounds like landowner vs public land hunter. A "private land hunter" who is NOT a landowner should not be held to restrictions that basically would put him in a class as if he IS a landowner. This new public vs private land tag system is much better than the previous system. At least now the DNR can limit the number of antlerless deer harvested on public lands.

The Governor appointed Natural Resources Board approved the 2014 deer recomendations at their meeting May 28. The DNR now now has implement this 2014 plan.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outd...-three-year-sunset-b99279651z1-261027581.html

great link sagittarius!

here is an excerpt from it:
"Antlerless quotas: The board approved the DNR's plan to prohibit hunting of antlerless deer in all or part of 19 counties this year. The move is designed to help deer herds recover after two consecutive severe winters, according to the agency, and it has received broad public support.
The zero quotas would cover the entire northern forest region and part of the central forest. In addition, the rule approved antlerless quotas and permit levels for counties throughout the state. In a change resulting from the deer trustee report, bonus antlerless deer tags this year are specific to counties and private or public land.
Each 2014 deer hunting license includes one antlerless tag that may be used on any property in a farmland zone during any season. Extra tags (if available) must be purchased for $12 each.
The DNR will sell 149,475 private land and 23,020 public land antlerless tags this year. The disparity is intended to prevent over-harvest on heavily hunted public properties.
The sales will be staggered, similar to the way leftover spring turkey permits are sold. Forest zone permits will be sold Aug. 18, central farmland zone permits Aug. 19 and southern farmland permits Aug. 20. All sales begin at 10 a.m."

Alot of this conversation sounds like landowner vs public land hunter. A "private land hunter" who is NOT a landowner should not be held to restrictions that basically would put him in a class as if he IS a landowner. This new public vs private land tag system is much better than the previous system. At least now the DNR can limit the number of antlerless deer harvested on public lands.
Unfortunately bueller, yes it does. I'm not sure if what you are saying really applies though. In the case of a non-landowning "private land hunter", that hunter should know well in advance if the landowner will allow antlerless harvest on his property. In that case, he would most likely first purchase a private land tag. In the event the landowner didn't allow doe harvest, he would still fall under the guidelines of a non-landowning public land hunter, as he would have no land of his own to hunt. His buck tag is good either way. Not to mention that you can only purchase 1 tag per day regardless of Zone or land type. If the non-owning hunter purchased a certain tag and then missed out on the other tag, that was his prerogative to choose to purchase the tag that he originally bought. The biggest issue I see in implementing something like this would be the landowners who own 2 acres of "paradise" in a Castle Rock subdivision, how do you filter through whether or not a persons land is "huntable" land, and what guidelines would constitute a piece of property as being "hunting land"? Acreage could be considered, but it would have to be awfully small, as we know there are plenty of guys who harvest deer off less than 10 acres and not all areas(subdivisions) allow hunting regardless of the property size. Very dicey and for sure a gray area. It will be nice to have the tag numbers on the public lands limited, regardless of who ultimately gets those tags. They could always go back to a draw system like they had for the "Hunter's Choice" tags years back if they have to many complaints? Again, with the computer systems they have now it wouldn't really be that big of a deal.

Unfortunately bueller, yes it does. I'm not sure if what you are saying really applies though. In the case of a non-landowning "private land hunter", that hunter should know well in advance if the landowner will allow antlerless harvest on his property. In that case, he would most likely first purchase a private land tag. In the event the landowner didn't allow doe harvest, he would still fall under the guidelines of a non-landowning public land hunter, as he would have no land of his own to hunt. His buck tag is good either way. Not to mention that you can only purchase 1 tag per day regardless of Zone or land type. If the non-owning hunter purchased a certain tag and then missed out on the other tag, that was his prerogative to choose to purchase the tag that he originally bought. The biggest issue I see in implementing something like this would be the landowners who own 2 acres of "paradise" in a Castle Rock subdivision, how do you filter through whether or not a persons land is "huntable" land, and what guidelines would constitute a piece of property as being "hunting land"? Acreage could be considered, but it would have to be awfully small, as we know there are plenty of guys who harvest deer off less than 10 acres and not all areas(subdivisions) allow hunting regardless of the property size. Very dicey and for sure a gray area. It will be nice to have the tag numbers on the public lands limited, regardless of who ultimately gets those tags. They could always go back to a draw system like they had for the "Hunter's Choice" tags years back if they have to many complaints? Again, with the computer systems they have now it wouldn't really be that big of a deal.

I don't forsee the complaints. If Joe Public Land Hunter wants an antlerless tag in an area where they are limited he better be on the computer at 10am. First come first serve or a lottery is the only reasonable way to do it. Declaring folks public land hunters or private land hunters is BS and unenforcable.

Oh you will see complaints, of that I am sure. It is human nature. Besides, how many working men do you think will have access to a computer at 10am on Aug 18th to purchase the 50 Juneau Co tags that will sell out in less than 30 seconds? Are they suppose to roll the dice and take off work and go to their local Wal-Mart and stand in line in hopes that they are the first guy at the counter, only to have "Suzy Cashier" take too long and not get a tag anyway? No, there will surely be complaints in the way these severely limited tags are issued.

Oh you will see complaints, of that I am sure. It is human nature. Besides, how many working men do you think will have access to a computer at 10am on Aug 18th to purchase the 50 Juneau Co tags that will sell out in less than 30 seconds? Are they suppose to roll the dice and take off work and go to their local Wal-Mart and stand in line in hopes that they are the first guy at the counter, only to have "Suzy Cashier" take too long and not get a tag anyway? No, there will surely be complaints in the way these severely limited tags are issued.
Maybe in the future it would be a good idea to have a lottery system for an area in which less than say 200 tags are available. In IL a lottery system is utiilzed.

Is IL lottery for buck or doe tags or both?