New toy er ah piece of equipment

tooln

5 year old buck +
Up early today heading out to look at a new piece of equipment to add to the list. It could be a long slow drive home if I get it. Will post pics if I do.

Well I bought it. It's on a Gehl 450 running gear, with a Midwest industries Hoist with a 5" cylinder. I'm not sure how many ton gear it is yet. The wagon bed is 6x10. Will work great for hauling tote's of sap in spring, hauling logs this winter & hauling fill for my trails. I also ran across a deal on 100 + yards of fill for free and they will let me use their loader to load it. The wagon trails good up to 36 mph. Give me some time to tighten things up and it should go more. I plan to modify the sides to maybe 6-8" tall.

That looks like a tough rig!

Just keep in mind, you might be able to pull it 35mph, but you won't be able to stop it loaded. No hurry is worth dying over.

Been trying for some running gear myself, and the closest I got was one for $100 in S Minneapolis that needed 4 tires and probably some axle seals or more. Ended up passing on it.

That looks like a tough rig!

It's built very well and will work perfect for me.

Just keep in mind, you might be able to pull it 35mph, but you won't be able to stop it loaded. No hurry is worth dying over.

It's not the loaded speed I'm worried about as that will be slow. It's running empty to get the fill. I've been looking since before I bought my tractor for one. I found several but they were always well over 150 miles from home. This one came up 55 miles from me. If all goes as planned Thursday will be the first load of fill hauled.

It's built very well and will work perfect for me.

It's not the loaded speed I'm worried about as that will be slow. It's running empty to get the fill. I've been looking since before I bought my tractor for one. I found several but they were always well over 150 miles from home. This one came up 55 miles from me. If all goes as planned Thursday will be the first load of fill hauled.

I have the same wagon. Only dumps up to 45 degrees. Not enough to get fill to dump very easy. You end up jerking the wagon back and fourth to try to get it empty. Putting some old barn tin over the wood deck helps, so does dumping down hill a little.

Yours looks in a lot better shape than mine. Nice find.

It sure looks like you got a good one. Nice find!

I have the same wagon. Only dumps up to 45 degrees. Not enough to get fill to dump very easy. You end up jerking the wagon back and fourth to try to get it empty. Putting some old barn tin over the wood deck helps, so does dumping down hill a little.

Yours looks in a lot better shape than mine. Nice find.
The pic I took was at the guys farm where I bought it. He was lowering it when I took the pic. I was concerned about the angle. This one darn near stands the box on end. If anything doesn't come out its fastened down. How many ton gear is yours MO?

The transformation begins. Worked on making the wagon more usable for my needs. Side boards will be 9.75" when completed. I was lucky an able to get all the important nut's off, but it did take a lot of pulling. Others were just cut off.

That also could hold a few rows of benches to hold folks for your land tour. ;) hint. :D

NICE score.

That also could hold a few rows of benches to hold folks for your land tour. ;) hint. :D

NICE score.

I've thought about one but not many are near me and it's only 40 acres. But if anyone's up for a road trip just let me know.

Well I was finally able to haul some fill today. I have the sides at 9.75", and adjusted the toe in. When I bought it the best I could do was 35-37 mph. Running empty it's happy in the 45-50 mph range, loaded right around 35 is the sweet spot. The fill slid off slicker than pig snot & I didn't even have to tip it up all the way.

Nice!

I wish we had something like that when we made firewood.

I cut the clevis hitch off today and welded on a 2" ball receiver. It made a big difference in the way it pulls. Really smooth and no more jerking. I wish I'd had this wagon earlier this year. I'm really getting my use from it.

Can't quite tell from your description but might want to think about how much you put on that gear if only using a 2" ball. I think the best of them are rated for like 8000 lbs max (with a 1-1/4" shank). Have to jump up to a 2-5/16" one for bigger loads. If your running gear is rated for 4T or so, guess you would be right at the limit

I'm not going over board on the load size's. Once I get done hauling the free fill the wagon will see very little road time.

Can't quite tell from your description but might want to think about how much you put on that gear if only using a 2" ball. I think the best of them are rated for like 8000 lbs max (with a 1-1/4" shank). Have to jump up to a 2-5/16" one for bigger loads. If your running gear is rated for 4T or so, guess you would be right at the limit

'Ya know.....I always have a concern about that trailer ball and coupler too. When Loading my tractor....I keep some jack-stands under the rear of the trailer to prevent too much strain on the ball or my tow vehicle. Then I "drive-off" the stands after I am loaded. Always wonder about that receiver and ball connection.....as that is the weak link in heavy duty towing. I have been careful to get all 8000 lb rated balls, drawbars and hitches......but I see many rigs that use inadequate sized components. o_O:eek:

If one wants to get all into the ins and outs of hauling equipment around, the TBN site (tractorbynet) has an area just to cover posts about trailers and securing loads. Haven't been over there in awhile though