Mineral rights and farm use

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I’m interested in an additional piece of property and it has these documents with it. When I bought my first piece of property I don’t recall the mineral rights one. Is this one saying the gas company has the right to come on and drill or put a well pad or what not on it? What if I put an entire subdivision on it? (I’m not, but theoretically). Also, when I looked at the satellite photos I don’t see how they are using it for farm, unless they are letting the farmer use it. If that’s the case does it still qualify if I continue to allow farmer to do so? I’m not looking for legal advice. I’m just trying to figure out if this is worth my time to even look at.

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3835.png
    IMG_3835.png
    533.2 KB · Views: 27
That doesn’t sound like it’s actually referring to any leases in place or not, just a standard form. They read as though “not saying there are encumbrances but if there were…”

Who did you get these from? Have you asked them?

You should be able to find out what mineral rights go with the land by going to the register of deeds or have a title company but usually you want to know prior to buying. Some you don't have anything below the surface and they can come in and drill.They do usually have to pay you for damages.If you you get all or a percentage of mineral rights and they drill for oil or gas then you will get a share.If you own all the rights then you get the more money if you own anywhere from a small percentage you could end up with a small check every few months.Like my farm if was one of the highest producing oil fields in Kansas for years and we had 1 well that paid 500.00 a month for a few years and now that well is completly shut down and the only well running makes about 90.00 every 2 months.Not worth having pumper drive through the farm every morning

The farm portion looks like that you have sell at least 2500.00 worth of ag a year to keep reduced taxes.This also can pertain to keeping property from being classified as rec ground and having very high taxes.Some states you can sell firewood some you just have to have a forestry plan to timber.CRP also counts but most cases you have to have 2 years of farming history to enroll.If you are looking at buying and it has this restriction get the contract and have a lawyer look it over.Some have restrictions on what can be built or planted

Thanks all. Wasn’t sure

In my county lots of properties have already lost the mineral rights to the government. I still have mine on my property but don't really know much about it. My neighbor wanted to sell me his 40 acres and he wanted to keep the mineral rights if I bought the land from him. I didn't buy that land.

I bought a piece of Kentucky property where a previous owner had kept 50% of the mineral rights. I'm told there is a 4' seam of coal under the property that only has value IF strip mined, and I have zero interest in letting that happen. Down the road a elderly lady approached me to buy the mineral rights she had inherited - but she wanted more for her 50%, than I originally paid for the land and my 50%. I did some research and offered her a fair value, but she was looking for MUCH MUCH more. That was the start of a multi year legal battle where she then tried to force me to combine my 50% with hers, so she could sell it all and realize her full value. Doing so would have given someone else the right to choose if my land got stripped or not. We finally prevailed, but it was a frustrating process that wasted some of my valuable time an money.

So I guess that is my question. If someone else owns them, can they come in and strip mine? What if you have a bunch of houses on it?

I’m far from an expert but I don’t think they can damage any structure and they may be entitled to compensation for any surface damage that is done (roads, powerlines, etc). With that said I think they could theoretically mine what they had access to. In my part of the world it’s oil and gas. I have old wells on all my properties. Not very intrusive so not a huge issue. A copper mine would suck!