New hunter 2014

wiscwhip

5 year old buck +
I finally have gotten around to getting a couple of these pictures off my old phone. This is the new guy that I introduced to hunting this past season and the buck he got on the second morning of the 2014 WI rifle season.

2014-11-22 07.46.44.jpg
2014-11-23 08.00.06.jpg
I will post more pics later once I get some others off the phone.

Good job at bringing in a new hunter.

congrats!

Thanks bur and spud! He is so stoked, we are going to a gun show this evening and I am taking him to his first ever WI Deer and Turkey Expo next month in Madison. He grew up in a small rural town outside of Janesville near the IL border and said many of his friends hunted, but he had no one in his family that did and his mom wouldn't let him go with anyone who wasn't family because she thought it would be too dangerous and didn't trust anyone else. He is only a year and a half removed from 2 stints in Afghanistan as a member of the 82nd Airborne, so he knows about shooting and killing, just not game animals. He is really getting pumped up now, as we both drew week 1 turkey permits, so he is already putting in for vacation next month. He is making a ghille suit and is almost finished with it, said he might as well put his sniper school training to work! LOL Listening to him trying to learn to blow a mouth call has been a treat, sounds more like a wounded cat, but he is a determined guy, so he will eventually get it. Hopefully we can get some more pics for the "Successful Hunts" forum!

Great job WW. Be proud. Nothing quite like introducing new folks to the outdoors.

He got this buck off of an 80 acre piece of county land that borders about 400+ acres of MFL Open timber company land. It was literally 1 mile NE of stu's parents old place. I really wish it would have been a bit harder for him. Second morning sit, I tell him to follow the ridge over to where the woods opens up and to find the downed oak log along the snowmobile trail and have a seat, he's in the woods 45 minutes and bang, he has his first deer. He made a valiant attempt to field dress it, but I had to finish it up when I got over to him. LOL He is learning!

Way to go Wisc. Introduced my son-in-law a few years ago. It is great feeling when they have their 1st successful hunt.

A few more of the area we were hunting.

2014-11-22 13.05.09comp.jpg

2014-11-22 07.19.10comp.jpg

2014-11-22 13.05.25comp.jpg

2014-11-22 13.05.33comp.jpg

2014-11-22 13.29.48comp.jpg

2014-11-22 07.18.53comp.jpg

A couple more "glory shots" of the lucky hunter.

2014-11-22 07.46.09comp.jpg

2014-11-22 07.46.04comp.jpg

The aftermath from a few quick lessons from myself, my father and my uncle.

2014-11-25 15.04.16comp.jpg

2014-11-25 15.02.52comp.jpg

Awesome stuff right there.

Thanks for all the likes and well wishes guys! Having a new hunter along and seeing him have success was a very good highlight to an otherwise pretty crappy deer season. My dad and uncle enjoyed having someone new to "show the ropes" and help nurture along on his way to becoming a successful hunter as well. He's already asking questions about my brother in WY and what it is like hunting out there...the word for the day is "hooked", can you say "hooked", children?:cool::D

Thanks for sharing Wisc. Looks like you got him started in the right direction. Sometimes all you have to do is light the fire - and the rest takes care of itself!

Thanks for sharing Wisc. Looks like you got him started in the right direction. Sometimes all you have to do is light the fire - and the rest takes care of itself!
I agree j-bird! The force is strong with this one!

If he hasn't eaten venison before, wait until he gets his chops into some straps or a good roast done in the crock-pot !! :) Very cool mentoring job Whip !! For a combat Vet too..... EXTRA cool !! Congrats to you both.;)

No worries, he loves it. We ate some the first evening that we started butchering. I sauteed some tenderloin medallions with mushrooms and onions for him and his wife. She was totally against us cutting the deer up and was insisting that she wouldn't eat it unless it was taken to a meat locker until she found out it would be around $100 to get it processed. She gave in to letting us butcher it, and after trying the tenderloin, she was all good with it after that! LOL I would really like to have him try some canned venison, but I haven't had any in about 3 years now.

If you get him & his wife to try canned, just don't let her see the jar beforehand !!! You know what the site of those can do to folks !!!:eek: :D

I agree bnb, and she is the type to absolutely flip out seeing something like a jar of canned venison!

Tell him thanks for his work in the service.

What was he shooten?