New Englanders...

Maya

5 year old buck +
Any snow left??? Despite a few inches Thursday I can finally say I am snow free at my house! Now, up in the mountains, that's another whole ball of wax. There is still a couple feet up there.

I still have 6" in field and 1-2' in woods. Should be gone when I open things up next weekend. 60-70's this week. We are going from winter to summer this year, spring missed the boat.

Buds just starting real well here.

NH, I start checking the bark around 1/2" green. DSCN2260.JPG

I'm in the Northern Berkshires of Mass. at about 2,000 ft. elevation. Went for a nice walk this AM with my dogs and snapped a few pics…I've still got 8" to 10" in my yard, which gets full sun. In the woods it's easily a foot to a foot and a half. Going for a cross country ski later.

Supposed to be warm this week with nightly temps above freezing. Nothing, not even the red maples, are even close to budding out here.

IMG_1696_zpsu4kd35ck.jpg

IMG_1697_zpsg3thuc78.jpg

IMG_1698_zpsn9h0vr7h.jpg

IMG_1701_zpsjfbzwpui.jpg

Uugh Natty! Nice pics though.

NH I assume you were going to rind graft them. I have had near 100% take on trees like that, with or without a nurse branch when doing rind grafts. I just think it's pretty hard to screw up when you have such a big area of cambium layer on the tree itself you are trying to match up the scion to. This was spring 2011, no nurse branch.....

DSCN0745.JPG

Spring 2014.....

DSCN2239.JPG

??? 3 on a cleft? You're going to crack it twice? Never don that before.

OK. gotcha. Personally, I would cut that one way back to where it is more straight. If there is no nurse branch, so be it. Id also wait til you are going to graft, and make a fresh cut then. You got that one tree out to the right, was that the culprit that made the one you are grafting lean? That tree was leaning for a reason, did you open it up over to the right more than just that one?

I wish I had time to give you a hand, but I'm swamped right now. My buds are really swelling right now and a couple varieties are at silver tip. I got my sprayer hooked up, nozzles cleaned, calibrated it, and ran a test spray with water yesterday. Got to spray a dormant oil this week. We'll have to get together some time. My son lives over in Lebanon, so I do get over there every so often.
Good luck!