Need Help: Constructing a new Buck Pole

Da U.P. 'eh

5 year old buck +
I was surprised I could not find a thread on this.

We need a new buck pole at camp and I'd like to do it right. I think a substantial "nice" buck pole is important. My guess is that the deer don't really care, but I, and my hunting buddies, do. In my mind a buck pole should be something to be proud of, should be the proper height and it should be as convenient as possible to use.

So the three most important pieces are: COOL LOOKING (post a pic of your pride and joy). The RIGHT HEIGHT (important, what is the right height?) CONVEINIENT TO USE (good hoist system/method).

Thanks in advance for your ideas and be sure to include pics!

Appreciate your help!

I don’t have one but many of the deer camps where I grew up did I’d be on the lookout for some stainless or aluminum pipe you could make a impressive buck pole with some repurposed salvage.

Not super cool looking but it works. Posts are treated 6x6 the top is a treated 2x10. I mounted a barn door track under the 2x10 and use the door trolleys with hooks to hang the deer. I have a winch with a brake to hoist the deer up then hang them with a rope onto the trolley. Believe me the brake on the winch is a life saver. You don't want to handle a hanging deer without one after a few brews. Don't remember the exact height but you can see from the pictures it's plenty high to keep the deer away from the critters. That buck is only hanging so I could wash it out plenty of room to go higher.

I have the winch mounted on a piece of channel iron and rigged some chain tensioners to the channel, they wrap around the 6x6 and tighten with a threaded rod. We take it down after every season and store it in the cabin so the weather doesn't mess up the winch.

Don't know where you're located in the UP, but I'm about 4 miles from the river in Marinette county. If you're not far away you could stop in and take a look at the the rig.

IMG_0779.jpgIMG_0231.jpg

D7F465BF-FB36-4A4E-8B5F-A2BC193D6BBA.jpeg
Not mine but saw this one on a listing and thought it was pretty cool looking.

IMG_8407.jpeg

IMG_8408.jpeg

IMG_8409.jpeg

We use a steel pipe A Frame - about 14.5 ft tall. Electric winch mounted on top. Pulls the hide right off the deer

This was over 15 years ago, but I used to manage a hunting lease for the company I work for. We would bring customers hunting. We built this skinning rack from metal i-beams with concrete poured beneath and a drain in the center. Over the top was a metal roof sitting on a frame built from telephone poles. We had 4 hand crank boat winches mounted so we could hang 4 deer at a time if needed. Behind it was a metal sea can storage container. We had water available at the skinning rack. I forget how high it was, but it was probably 15 feet or so.skinningrack.jpg

You have a pulley on the ground? Does it not get in the way? I feel like I’d trip over that every trip I made near the pole.
No, we have a small hook on the back ground brace between the two wide sides. That pipe is not under where deer hangs. We hook a 18” cable on that hook and the other end of cable is a loop and we put it over a rock under hide and let it rip. If we had it to do over, would have that hook pointed down instead of up. Works great. Not much hair on meet. Lower carcass down in tub n back of sxs - and head to the bone yards. There are no pulleys anywhere in the system.

No, we have a small hook on the back ground brace between the two wide sides. That pipe is not under where deer hangs. We hook a 18” cable on that hook and the other end of cable is a loop and we put it over a rock under hide and let it rip. If we had it to do over, would have that hook pointed down instead of up. Works great. Not much hair on meet. Lower carcass down in tub n back of sxs - and head to the bone yards. There are no pulleys anywhere in the system.
Man, if you get some daytime pics, I’d like to see more of your setup.