My tower blind build method

Camp 2 Dukes

5 year old buck +
IMG_1655 2.JPG IMG_1656 2.JPG I have seen a number of tower blind threads thought would share how I have built the last few. I build the platforms as most here I've seen here do with elevator brackets. One thing I do different from what I've seen is to box out the bottom for additional strength when lifting and I lift it using a piece of unistrut strapped between 2 of the elevator brackets. Then block and tackle up in a near by tree and winch it up with my UTV. After building a few in place with lumber I felt I was spending entirely too much time at site and too far from amenities of the shop. I also felt the wood structures seemed a little heavy especially if I want to use 16' 4x4's. What I have been doing now is panelizing the enclosure with 1 5/8" steel studs. Insulating with closed cell foam sheets or any panel insulation I can get a deal on. Then skinning and trimming with steel sheets and trim.

Last edited:
IMG_1657.jpg Insualted panel.

Last edited:
IMG_1659 2.jpg IMG_1661 2.jpg This unit I took a kull door cut it in half so I could do 2 units.

Last edited:
I build a latter that goes right up to the door and just climb right in. The roof on this one I built in 2 pieces as I wanted it light. It has an overhang on all sides and just lap the 2 steel siding panels to keep water out.

IMG_1663 2.JPG After the panels are built I load them on the trailer and off to the property. This is really the same way many companies build garages houses etc. Building panels and siding them in a controlled environment then assembling on site.

Last edited:
IMG_1669 2.jpg IMG_1670 2.jpg Once up. Didn't have the ladder up to the door yet. These panels way 50 to 60 lbs and are relatively easy to hoist up to the platform. I some cases I just stick my arm in through the window and carry them up on my back. If you have a helper having them hoist from the platform while the other pushes from the bottom really works easy.

Last edited:
IMG_1724 2.jpg A pic from the window. This is one of the 1st hinge cuts I did. I cut them a little low but the deer do use it.

Last edited:
IMG_1732 2.jpg We have started hanging bird feeders now that the kids are along they get a kick out of having birds right i the window. In fact if the windows are open they'll fly right in.

Last edited:
Great build! Thanks for sharing! Wish I could do something like this, looks super slick! Very practical too. When all said and done, how much does each box blind cost? Let's not include 4x4 legs or elevators.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

if you can please provide pics of your roof. you know what you are doing! looks great. love the crimped metal roof for the overhang. That had to suck! :) looks awesome.

Great build! Thanks for sharing! Wish I could do something like this, looks super slick! Very practical too. When all said and done, how much does each box blind cost? Let's not include 4x4 legs or elevators.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks. Im not sure of the total cost. 10' 1 5/8" steel studs run $3.79 ea. The windows were on sale I paid $28 ea. The platform was probably one of the more expensive parts. Treated ply wood is expensive. Now the external steel believe it or not I have $20 in all of it. I have a friend in the steel building business. They almost always have steel laying in the scrap yard. The recycle price is so low right now I can buy that cheap. The insulation sheets can be expensive I found these on Craigslist they were being sold cheap by a machine shop. They are 1" fiberglass panels with cloth on side and foil on the other. Another nice feature of the steel studs is they fit right in them.

if you can please provide pics of your roof. you know what you are doing! looks great. love the crimped metal roof for the overhang. That had to suck! :) looks awesome.
I will see if I have more pics of the roof. It is a steel stud frame including the over hang. I left the steel long on the ends and a duck billed pliers and rubber mallet folded those over. The sides hung over about 10 inches over the frame, Those I laid on the platform for strength and pounded them over with the rubber mallet. The under side of the over hang got soffit just like a house. It extends into the interior some but didn't matter. The way the steel roofing is ribbed I left one full rib (about a foot) over lap. when I lay those in I lay some steel roofing sealant on the bottom one then lay the top one over it. On the inside I use a 2 1/2" steel stud to tie the 2 together. I use angle iron or scrap steel studs around the rest of the roof interior and to attach the walls to the platform. I screw the panels together at the corners. One other thing I do that adds strength is I leave the steel siding hang down on the bottom about 4". Then that lap gets screwed to the platform.

You'll notice the sides I leave a lap on one end of each panel that also ties the panels together,

The best pic of the roof I have right now is the one where it is loaded on the trailer. The 2 top panels are the roof.

That is slick as heck! And about 10X past my mechanical capabilities. :D Well done.