My first 2 apples

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Well it wasnt much but I did have a Maslin (early season cultivar of Cripps Pink) set a few apples this year. I let 2 remain. The SOB'n wind has been bad the last 2 days and they came off the tree yesterday. Probably 2-4 weeks ahead of when I thought they might be ripe. Took a slice out of one and it was mildly tart but not too bad, no hint of sweet though. Put them in the fridge to see how they taste in a week or two. The black spot was a hailstone bruise that got a bit worse with time.

Nice work

That's a good feeling to eat an apple off a tree you planted. Next step is to kill a deer that also likes your apples.

Nice. How long have the trees been in the ground?

I plan to pick some apple varieties this Sunday. Last Sunday, my dad picked 4 bushels of his favorite apple, grimes golden, off one tree. I will post pictures next week.

Nice. How long have the trees been in the ground?

Just this year. Its a dwarf on M9 that I put in my tall spindle row at my house. I would guess the tree was two years old when I planted it this spring.

NH - Post #5 - Bears are worse. Hail is random and a hit or miss situation. Bears don't miss apple trees !!!! They find every one of them.:mad:

TC - Never heard of Maslin. What is the apple like - taste wise ?? Congrats on the success of growing it !!

Nice TC!

NH - Post #5 - Bears are worse. Hail is random and a hit or miss situation. Bears don't miss apple trees !!!! They find every one of them.:mad:

TC - Never heard of Maslin. What is the apple like - taste wise ?? Congrats on the success of growing it !!

Cripps Pink is the original variety (sold as Pink Lady in the grocery stores), Maslin is a limb mutation of Cripps Pink, supposed to ripen 3-4 weeks earlier than Cripps Pink but still have the same taste. Crisp apple, sweet with a bit of tart to it. Maslin has only been propagated in the USA for 3-4 years now, originally from Australia.

I've only had 1 cripps pink, it was so stinkin sweet I thought I had a spoon full of sugar in my mouth, it was nuts. Thats why I've decided I want one.

I do like Pink Lady apples, but didn't think they had a chance of surviving and/or ripening here

Stu you are correct. They are even a relatively long shot in 5B. Thats why I am giving Maslin a shot.

I have 3 Cripps Pink that are loaded this year but still pretty small so another month or more on the tree will help them get bigger if we get some rain. Can't wait to try them. Congrats Turkey!!!!!