MN ODN Cuffs And Collars

In this case... she had zero involvement in the deer hunt and they caved in to the CO.
Hubby bought a tag for her and filled it illegally.

And that's the "norm" IMHO. It will be interesting to hear how many new female hunters we have this year :rolleyes:

I posed that to Merchant and our state % was in line with national on % of female hunters. He will give out the % for 2014 after season is over.

With the need for firearm certification nowadays, I'm not so sure that "new" female hunters are much of a problem for illegal firearms cross-tagging. Not everyone can just go buy a firearms license. Suppose for archery the problem still persists.

edit: Maybe having a required archery certification would help quell the problem for archery, too.

I'm not so sure about that
With the need for firearm certification nowadays, I'm not so sure that "new" female hunters are much of a problem for illegal firearms cross-tagging. Not everyone can just go buy a firearms license. Suppose for archery the problem still persists.

edit: Maybe having a required archery certification would help quell the problem for archery, too.

If some one really wanted to do this, there are online hunter safety coarses
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/index.html

Anyone born before 12/31/79 probably has already gotten a license in the past and won't be new.

As far as the online firearms safety....I took it and still had to go to a day, like 2 hours, of classes. Not sure if things have changed or not. Still, the firearm certificate makes it so that someone has to think ahead and plan it, kind of keeps the honest folks honest.

I see the online course now has a virtual field day. What a joke.

I've got to agree that there is lots of abuse of this sharing tag thing.

I won't call it party hunting, as it is a different issue.

I'm sure many will turn to using a wife's tag now that we are a one deer area. I guess they at least do not have 7 or 8 doe tags as was proposed on Dec. 31.

I was reading D and DH last night and an article speaks of party hunting during Wis. firearm season. Mn. must not be the only one with party hunting.
I don't feel party hunting is the problem but illegal sharing of tags is where the trouble exists. That is not party hunting.

I could shoot 10 deer if I want Sandbur! You just have to have someone with you that has a tag. That is a problem, because it is happening. Maybe not 10, but multiple deer.
They could shoot (1) in most zones if party hunting was not allowed. If we had great deer numbers no big deal, but that is not the case in MN.

The key is once they shoot a deer they legally cannot go afield. As it in now, they just keep hunting with other hunters who have open tags. I'm guessing 1/4 of the hunters in my area, simply never stop hunting. They hunt all seasons ---they do the shotgun season and then they hit the muzzy season too, even if they have already shot deer. It's easy to get a tag...registration is online.

I've got to agree that there is lots of abuse of this sharing tag thing.

I won't call it party hunting, as it is a different issue.

I'm sure many will turn to using a wife's tag now that we are a one deer area. I guess they at least do not have 7 or 8 doe tags as was proposed on Dec. 31.

I think the abuse will not be limited to just the wife's tag!

I really see no reason why a hunter should be able to continue to hunt once his/her tag(s) have been filled. If I can shoot one deer this year, I go out and shoot it...then I should be done hunting.

I have never hunted your state and from what I read on this site, I never will want to. So my opinion is not worth much. But this statement is what people in my state do, unless they are a poacher.

This thread makes me wonder exactly how many hunters are in your state. It has to be less than the total number of licensees/tags sold. I've said it before, party hunting maximizes the kills.

Here two hunters just have to be "in the field hunting" :rolleyes:

Apparently if your house is "in the field" and your sitting in said house, you are "hunting" by default and some folks over there think that applies.

Last edited:
I couldn't fathom having more than two deer in the freezer. I haven't had my own whole deer since the hay days of the early 2000's. Since things have gone down hill, we've been sharing what venison we get. Typically, the other guys doing the shooting are not excellent marksmen, and we usually end up with a mangled quarter or two, which greatly drives down the meat yield. I've been harping for a few years (now that we're in a rifle zone) to these guys to make shots at the top of the neck (if it's not a wall mounter) or a straight head shot on a doe. It ain't pretty, but it's humane and you don't lose any meat.

I've cut up too many mangled deer to tolerate that poor shooting anymore.

I really see no reason why a hunter should be able to continue to hunt once his/her tag(s) have been filled. If I can shoot one deer this year, I go out and shoot it...then I should be done hunting.

And I really see no reason why a hunter should not be able to gift his/her tag to someone else. If the state doesn't want the deer shot, then don't issue the tag.

No doubt party hunting maximizes the kill when we are talking apple to apples, but the population goals ultimately determine if more or less deer will be killed. If eliminating party hunting lowers the harvest below DNR goals, then the DNR will simply make the area Managed or Intensive. What regulation set kills more deer; party hunting and bucks only with a 2 day season, or no party hunting and 16 day intensive harvest with early doe? Party hunting or no party hunting only means how the deer are killed, not if more or less are killed.

One year my buddy thought he would cut up deer for some extra cash. It lasted one year. More deer came in looking like swiss cheese than you could imagine. Some deer with more ruined meat than what he could salvage. And these people wanted all these steaks, chops, hamburger, Jerky, beer sticks. Some got back only a few lbs. of burger, others nothing. One year is all he made it!

When I was in college I worked for a friend of the family who had a butcher shop. He processed about 800 deer per year. This was in WV which is a rifle state. We had more than one fawn that weighed under 100 pounds that would have 2,3,4, maybe even 5 bullets through it. People would bitch about the amount of meat they received all the time. I know for certain that we did not mix meat and you only received meat from the deer you brought in.

He finally started weighing the deer when it came in so the idiots could see that a 80 pound fawn was not going to provide 60 pounds of meat. But stupid people still complained.

My employer's son worked full time butchering. The amount of rotten deer, gut shot and Swiss cheese carcasses ruined him from hunting. He became so disgusted that he quit deer hunting for about 15 years. They got out of the business before they started hunting again.

There is an article in the summer issue of Deer & Deer Hunting that basically says a mature deer would yield about 40%-50% boneless venison.
i.e a 180 buck field dressed would yield 72 pounds of meat.

an example in the article a butcher did was a field dressed buck weighted 157 pounds. After skinning and removing the head it weighted 118 pounds. de-boned the meat and got 78 pounds.

If you guys haven't tried canning some venison yet, you're missing out. Last October, I took the last couple bags of trimmings I had (anything other than backstrap and that rear inner thigh roast) and made 12 pints of canned venison. Never done it before, but one of my past employees told me she does it no other way, so I tried it. I blew through the six jars I kept myself in a couple weeks. It was amazing! I shared the rest with the fellas in camp. All voted for it but my bonehead brother who ate it cold outta the jar.

Don't ask for the recipe just yet. I'm planning to can some beef chuck roast tomorrow night. I'll try to remember to take pics and put up a whole thread about it. It is an amazing and versatile way to process venison for pennies, and it gives you tons of options on the consumption end. Omelets, venison & gravy, stroganoff, alfredo, stew, chili, hell, let your imagination run wild!

What's even better is this frees up space in your freezer. Can it and put on the shelf, in the basement, or in your bedroom closet if you live in a one bedroom apartment like I do.

Asking poor shots to make a head or top of neck shot is funny. Not much meat wasted on a rib cage double lung or a shoulder hit.
I realize the absurdity in my statement now. I was thinking this morning, I should get on those guys now to get their guns sighted in now. Worrying about it the day before opener has never been a fruitful plan. More so, my point was I am trying to get these guys to think beyond the shot, and not just killing the deer. Whether that be letting it get closer, or outright passing. A double butt cheek shot or a zipper opening down the side of the ribs does us no good after the fact.

Sd51555 - You're right about home-canned venison. Even after I got married, my Mother and I used to can the boned - off neck, shoulder & lower leg meat. When it's done in the jars, it looks like collected road-kill, but boy you can't beat the taste !!! We'd just brown it up in a little shortening in a cast iron pan. Fall apart tender !!! Make a pan of home fries w/ onions and open a can of beans to have w/ the venison and we were in hog heaven!