Miscanthus Giaganteus propagation from cuttings.

I picked up 600 rhizomes and 100 rhizome clusters today, managed to get 60 rhizomes clusters planted almost like planting seedlings.

JJT2T5D.jpg

0gMkAU4.jpg

I picked up 600 rhizomes and 100 rhizome clusters today, managed to get 60 rhizomes clusters planted almost like planting seedlings.

JJT2T5D.jpg

0gMkAU4.jpg

I’ll be curious to see if you like the cluster vs. small rhizome as time goes on. Planting a rhizome seems easier but if the cluster gets you there faster? I cut and planted my own clusters last spring and they didn’t perform much better than a rhizome. BUT it was a drought year so I’m making any judgement based on that experiment.

I’ll be curious to see if you like the cluster vs. small rhizome as time goes on. Planting a rhizome seems easier but if the cluster gets you there faster? I cut and planted my own clusters last spring and they didn’t perform much better than a rhizome. BUT it was a drought year so I’m making any judgement based on that experiment.
I should have a good comparison between the two, I planted the clusters on the outside row and I am going to plant the rhizomes on the inside row.

First comparison of rhizomes vs clusters, clusters have taken off better but are they worth the price? I sprayed this last fall but nothing this year so I guess they are on their own.

Cluster

E8gpDCf.jpg

Single rhizome

zzjjsx3.jpg

I will have to post a pic but my test of a dozen or so rhizomes (almost all) made it through a NW Wisconsin USDA 4b, -38 degree winter with about a foot (plus) of snow on top of them. I will order more in the future if they grow as much as others have shown this year.

Mine planted for road screen are in year 2

Personal experience suggests they are hard to "over water" and thrive near pond/creek banks

bill

Personal experience suggests they are hard to "over water" and thrive near pond/creek banks

bill

Thats good to know, I have a place or two to add to the list of where to plant them.

Out of curiosity has anyone planted screens of MG within a CRP contract (with the approval of the NRCS)? I’ve got a mile of road screen I am planning to do but only 3 years left on the CRP contract and haven’t broached the conversation with them. If I re enroll (should funds be available) I can hold out enough to do the screen. It only amounts to about 2-3 acres when doing the math. Just curious if anyone else has had that discussion. I assume it’s a no since it’s not a native plant.

bill

I bet your soils in TX have something to do with that. I have heavy clay and if water stands in/on it for very long I can’t get MG to grow.

Out of curiosity has anyone planted screens of MG within a CRP contract (with the approval of the NRCS)? I’ve got a mile of road screen I am planning to do but only 3 years left on the CRP contract and haven’t broached the conversation with them. If I re enroll (should funds be available) I can hold out enough to do the screen. It only amounts to about 2-3 acres when doing the math. Just curious if anyone else has had that discussion. I assume it’s a no since it’s not a native plant.

I doubt it. I wouldn’t tell them it’s not native. Try it’s an experiment to see if a biofuel grass will grow. Or maybe you want to shade out your fence rows so the trees can’t grow up in them :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I doubt it. I wouldn’t tell them it’s not native. Try it’s an experiment to see if a biofuel grass will grow. Or maybe you want to shade out your fence rows so the trees can’t grow up in them :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haha. Exactly. Nothing a little semantics can’t get fixed. Or it could show up? “No sir I don’t know where them big weeds in a row came from” ‍♂️

I would think most people looking at it would think it is phragmites when seeing it, with only three years left on the contract it probably wont even head up by then.

I would think most people looking at it would think it is phragmites when seeing it, with only three years left on the contract it probably wont even head up by then.

That’s very true. The first two years it doesn’t get big and nasty. Never thought about that.

Year two... some of the plants have multiple stalks already so they most definitely can survive and spread up here in NW Wisconsin. This convinced me that a future order will happen and that I will also try some cuttings.

Attachments

• IMG_5032.JPG
    IMG_5032.JPG
    722.2 KB · Views: 41
My experience with cuttings was positive last year, but the only miscanthus that re-emerged this year was from rhizomes- none of last year’s cuttings, which made it to 10-15” in 2018, came back. I’m blaming the polar vortex. My rhizome started plants were very slow to come back, which I based on the wet, cool spring. I also had trouble eliminating the competition this spring , as I hardly had a dry day to spray during the dormant period.

My experience with cuttings was positive last year, but the only miscanthus that re-emerged this year was from rhizomes- none of last year’s cuttings, which made it to 10-15” in 2018, came back. I’m blaming the polar vortex. My rhizome started plants were very slow to come back, which I based on the wet, cool spring. I also had trouble eliminating the competition this spring , as I hardly had a dry day to spray during the dormant period.

I'm sure the prolonged cold had something to do with it. Cuttings make roots at first that may not be as hardy as a thicker rhizome.

I planted MG for screening but it also created an edge for the deer to travel along.

JDtM312.jpg

I gotta get off my butt. That stuff looks great along the native grasses.

That first link is interesting. We’ve been growing singles but never tried two nodes. I did once bend a stalk over and bury it but I left it attached to the mother plant. That did not work.