Minnesota Deer: The Search For Answers

Satchmo-My north sandbox is about 15 miles north of foggy. some of my land there has been in the family for 98 years.
That is some wonderful tradition you have going Bur. My grandfather had a cabin up on Norway Lake just outside of Pine River. I spent many weekends of my youth flyfishing for panfish on the backwoods lakes between there and Longville with him, my father, and my brother. Those were special times. Can't wait to meet you guys and swap stories over a couple.

Nine miles north of Pine River or just west of the Long Pine store. The creek that runs through my land ends up in Norway Lake.

Bur....No kidding? Truly a small world. On another note, I'm now scheduled to meet my forester on March 17th to walk my property so we can write a stewardship plan. I'm going to ask if there are any deer density reccomendations to see what kind of answer I get. Do you have any suggestions for other questions I should be asking? Not really sure what to expect.

When my forester (from the DNR) walked my property with me.....he was asking ME questions about habitat and deer. He didnt seem to have a clue about fauna.....mostly about the flora.

I hired a private forester out of Park Rapids. Noticed that among his credentials is that he also does QDMA land certification. I could really care less about that, but hope this means he has more of a clue on the wildlife habitat aspect.

Bur....No kidding? Truly a small world. On another note, I'm now scheduled to meet my forester on March 17th to walk my property so we can write a stewardship plan. I'm going to ask if there are any deer density reccomendations to see what kind of answer I get. Do you have any suggestions for other questions I should be asking? Not really sure what to expect.
You might relate the deer number question to the certification program for timber sales. When you do your forest plan, you can specify wildlife or specifically deer as part of the plan. I believe I had deer as a primary and timber as a secondary goal. If timber were the primary, it might be different.

You might relate the deer number question to the certification program for timber sales. When you do your forest plan, you can specify wildlife or specifically deer as part of the plan. I believe I had deer as a primary and timber as a secondary goal. If timber were the primary, it might be different.
Good info Art, thank you. I am going to pry a little and see if any of the forest certifications or programs influence these private stewardship plans.