Minnesota Deer: The Search For Answers

I'm not sure where you or I are confused, but your graph clearly states that the goal range was increased in 342.

In the 'Anticipated Impact on population from 2013' column it shows 25% increase. You had 14 deer in deer 2013. Your new goal was 14. 25% more than 14 is not 14.

Here is my shot at the crystal ball.

Stakeholder process shakes out a 20 dpsm pre fawn per square mile of deer habitat south of Brainerd, and 15 north of Brainerd (+or- 20%). These goals are basically what we are looking at current.

One of the last two ON had an article on opening a SNA that is west of Camp Ripley to rifle hunting. The reason was that deer are hurting the regeneration of oak and archery hunting was not limiting the population.

Stu and Brooks know who is managing that area. Don't expect much for a bump in deer in any areas he manages.

It would be interesting to see if they know the dpsm in that SNA. Maybe just that deer move into the area from rifle hunting pressure. Stu-didn't you tour some foodplots just west of Camp?

Based on what I heard at the Brainerd meeting, I expect 221 will get a slight bump-maybe real, maybe just an eraser correction. The DNR needs to appear to do something due to the uproar.

I visited with a state employee last night. He said he could not believe the amount of deer that were hauled out of a state forest just south of Nimrod. Satchmo's area I believe. He said one year of Intensive Harvest and the deer were gone. Certain groups from the metro area are very good at lowering deer numbers on state land. This was a number of years ago. They have also hit central Mn. hard.

It's tough to make a difference on 80, 160, or even 320 acres with 5, 7, or 8 doe permits being available if there is state land nearby.

I visited with a state employee last night. He said he could not believe the amount of deer that were hauled out of a state forest just south of Nimrod. Satchmo's area I believe. He said one year of Intensive Harvest and the deer were gone. Certain groups from the metro area are very good at lowering deer numbers on state land. This was a number of years ago. They have also hit central Mn. hard.

It's tough to make a difference on 80, 160, or even 320 acres with 5, 7, or 8 doe permits being available if there is state land nearby.

ditto this for my grandfather's place NE of sebeka. They had a ton of deer around until they went to intensive harvest. The neighbors down the road from him took 65 deer off of 1 property and everyone else shot every doe that was around. It wasn't 1 year later and there wasn't a deer to be found. Without restraint some people will take advantage of what's given them.

Yep, and sad to say northern mn is one of the worst places for it. My cousin works in a bank in a small town in that north country and when the end of the month comes around the welfare slackers come out of the woodwork demanding "their" money. Granted there's a few legitimate people who deserve the help but from what she tells me most are bucking the system thinking its owed to them. I'm sure that same attitude goes right into it when they go hunting. Frustrating to say the least.

When half the hunters of mn quit it will be good again. Only recruit children who understand we manage the herd without dnr advice. Have to change the gun safety curriculum some so they are taught right.

The whole area from Motley to Bemidji with it's vast tracks of state and county lands got absolutely hammered for several years. Area 246 went to one deer per person a few years ago, but by then the herd had been wiped out by years of intensive harvest. There used to be vehicles and camps set up on nearly every approach and down every forest road the entire length of hwy 64. Now the deer are gone and so are most of the people.

I believe moving forward that the whole idea of intensive harvest needs to viewed as a sin and the DNR needs to stop the knee jerk reactions to GOOD deer herd numbers. The Hunters Choice, or at most Managed Area designations are more than capable of bringing down large herd numbers IF we ever see that situation again.

The whole area from Motley to Bemidji with it's vast tracks of state and county lands got absolutely hammered for several years. Area 246 went to one deer per person a few years ago, but by then the herd had been wiped out by years of intensive harvest. There used to be vehicles and camps set up on nearly every approach and down every forest road the entire length of hwy 64. Now the deer are gone and so are most of the people.

I believe moving forward that the whole idea of intensive harvest needs to viewed as a sin and the DNR needs to stop the knee jerk reactions to GOOD deer herd numbers. The Hunters Choice, or at most Managed Area designations are more than capable of bringing down large herd numbers IF we ever see that situation again.
Satch.....you must be located on the west side of 246? My land lies on the east side....near 371. We need to do coffee (or beers) one day when the warm returns. :)

Satch.....you must be located on the west side of 246? My land lies on the east side....near 371. We need to do coffee (or beers) one day when the warm returns. :)
Yea my land is just four miles (as the crow flies) west of hwy 64. Would really enjoy a get together some time. How long do you hide down south before you slide north?

the DNR needs to stop the knee jerk reactions to GOOD deer herd numbers. The Hunters Choice, or at most Managed Area designations are more than capable of bringing down large herd numbers IF we ever see that situation again.

The DNR knows what they did. It was their plan. Public land will likely never be worth the effort ever again.

Public land will likely never be worth the effort ever again.
Sorry, but that's a little too doomsday for me. I have to believe change is possible. Not easy, but possible.

Let me know when and I will join you guys!

Let me know when and I will join you guys!
That would be great. Maybe you can give me pointers on how to grow an apple tree on my high desert.:D

Yea my land is just four miles (as the crow flies) west of hwy 64. Would really enjoy a get together some time. How long do you hide down south before you slide north?

I won't get back to Minnesnowta until May (except for a quick jaunt home for easter with the family). So......it looks like a May / June get together is in order. If Art comes and brings Stu along.....maybe we could go out for a cruise on Gull Lake and bullshcmit a few hours away?.....or some such plan as that. My home is on the east side of the Lake. Or......we could make that trip to the apple orchard near Jenkins MN too? It's just a mile from my land.

Looks like Land and Beer Tour II is getting planned. ;) Could be fun.

MNAaron and I have discussed a land tour at our places this spring. I need to reach out to Freeborn as well. He is between us.

Have it at that new brewpub/taproom in Nisswa and I'll do a drive by :)

That new micro-brewery is only 2 miles North of my home. I am starting to feel a plan materializing.

Microbrewery and land tour? Sounds like a good time to me!

Satchmo-My north sandbox is about 15 miles north of foggy. some of my land there has been in the family for 98 years.