Frustration grows in the Hoosier state

The State Farm data is bogus. They don't even sort deer from turkey from hail from some digging a guy did here.

Does IN collect deer vehicle crash data?

It may just be easier to manage for fewer deer. Keep lowering until the hunters say they have had enough, but keep lowering until they make enough racket.

The State Farm data is bogus. They don't even sort deer from turkey from hail from some digging a guy did here.

Does IN collect deer vehicle crash data?

It may just be easier to manage for fewer deer. Keep lowering until the hunters say they have had enough, but keep lowering until they make enough racket.

I will contact the state police and see if they have any data on the deer collision stuff.

I'll start banging pots and pans together if it will help!

I saw the other stuff on crop damage as well (thanks Stu) - I'm trying to get my hands on a dollar figure or something to indicate a need. I say kill the coons - leave my deer alone.

http://cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/news.detail/ID/16afb5caae344ebb6d8363678f5b9a9b

http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/about.overview

Just google Cwd herd reduction, every single page indicates to get population low to minimize spread.
Deer farms are regulated by the U.S. Department of agriculture, a different plant than any state dnr. It's just a matter of time before the deer farms get Cwd in Indiana. Look at the densities inside the pens. Wilderness whitetails has the best antler genetics in the world, and they have Cwd. Guys want their deer, all over the country. I could stuff one of their fawns in my truck right now and have it in Indiana in 6 hours. No one would know, and believe me it's happening. As we speak are transporting known Cwd deer roughly 20 miles between 4 counties, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do under federal law. State law is powerless. Cwd has already been found outside central wi deer fences, with insane deer densities, because governor Walker kicked the dnr square in the balls.
Cwd is spreading all over the country, in and outside deer farms. The dnr is reducing numbers to limit an endemic. If u are failing to even consider this, u are in denial!

So the DNR decides that CWD is coming and decides to lower the herd but they never utter a word of their plan to the hunting public and quietly lie about their hidden agenda until....

Not buying it.

What came as a result of the Indiana experts testimony before elected?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said, and will never say, that there is no threat of CWD in Indiana. There is threat of CWD everywhere there are deer and/or elk...just the same as there being a threat for scrapie everywhere there are sheep, and mad cow everywhere there are cows, etc. Are people moving farmed deer illegally? Almost certainly. Are people transporting harvested free-range deer and elk illegally? 100% yes, with many photos to prove it. I am simply saying that to excuse mismanagement because of the specter of CWD is short-sighted. There's no denial in my mind, just a desire to see reasoned, balanced discussion and a real search for answers- not just flinging dung to see what sticks. The search and persistence is what has allowed the MN guys to gain ground, and I think if the IN guys just focus on a theoretical CWD angle they will miss most of the picture.
Frankly, as someone with a degree in Environmental Science and Biology, I think a lot of this goes back to what the people in leadership positions have been taught in school; the more they bought into a lot of the nonsense, the more likely they are to overdo it in their vocational positions. Throw in a little lobbying from some influential folks, and you have a recipe for disaster.

So the DNR decides that CWD is coming and decides to lower the herd but they never utter a word of their plan to the hunting public and quietly lie about their hidden agenda until....

Not buying it.

What came as a result of the Indiana experts testimony before elected?
Haha put on your tin foil hat than

Haha put on your tin foil hat than

How come you never finish these debates?

I'll give u one last topic. I know ure not from wi, so I'm not expecting u to know what happened in Dane county where Cwd was first discovered. It's this simple, the dnr wanted to destroy the deer herd. They were doing everything, to the extreme of killing them at night with night vision, aka snipers. The goal wasn't herd reduction, it was elimination.
It didn't work because your possible future president Walker, kicked them in the balls.
It's that simple. The link I posted, Indiana brought in the same guys who orchestrated the extermination in wi, to assist in the states stance on Cwd.
U can go back to your foil hats, and good luck fighting the man! If you only could direct all your energy to the real problem, and accomplish something?

If you only could direct all your energy to the real problem, and accomplish something?

If you expect me to tolerate outright lies and deception from the agency tasked with managing a resource you will be disappointed. I don't stay in relationships when I am lied to.

If there is real science behind these plans it should be shared publicly to gain support, not smoked, hidden and distorted.

How come you never finish these debates?
U can like it or not but I'm stating facts. At this point it's subjective to say if these herd reduction techniques will provide positive outcomes. In the mean time live deer with Cwd will be making their rounds, possibly to a pen near you.

U can like it or not but I'm stating facts. At this point it's subjective to say if these herd reduction techniques will provide positive outcomes. In the mean time live deer with Cwd will be making their rounds, possibly to a pen near you.

I am not discounting what you say may be fact. I am asking why no one is else is stating it to be fact. Why would the groups protecting the resource not be alarmed that young deer can be legally transported?

One quick google search on Minnesota Cwd herd reduction
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2011/01/21/deer-wasting-disease
What to u think drastic measures to compat Cwd is?
^^^^this was the first of many articles. The mn dnr administrator said wi is doing nothing, we are going to prevent the spread of cwd

What do u think this means? This is your states Cwd management plan.

-Prevent or minimize further spread and new introductions of the disease.
Here is the link
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/cwd/index.html

Your concerned over the government lying to you? This is America, that's what the government does. Hahaha

U guys are a smart bunch, Im sure u could find some of rules like, a fawn not counting till it's a year old and how it's legal to move deer from a Cwd known pen to another pen.
The deer breeder industry has a forum like this one, maybe there's so info there.
its already too late for me, Cwd is here, and it's gonna spread. U guys still have a chance
Dipper-contact your state board of health and tell them what is going on. Contact your district veterinarian who is a government employee and give him/her the facts, but not conjecture.

Your state was one of the hardest to import cattle into when Mn. and Michigan had TB. Things have lightened up a bit and there is a new head of your Board-especially since Mn. is now TB free.

Call them and explain what is going on.

I know that I would hate to be a deer hunter in WI right now. CWD is going to ruin what was an awesome deer hunting state, frankly I cant believe the passive approach that they took.

I saw this article on one of my friends facebook page. Yep Sauk county, where I do all of my hunting is one of the top 10 counties and we are in the CWD zone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I haven't seen a SINGLE dead deer in our area that we thought might be from CWD. We own 300 acres with another 120 we are able to hunt.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Dipper you are flat out wrong when you say Walker is to blame when the DNR stopped there all out elimination war on deer in the CWD zone. The HUNTERS were tired of not seeing deer and formed co-ops to not shoot any does to rebuild the herd themselves. Landowners were agreeing to not hunt there land for a year or two. Areas had thousands of private ground that didn't get hunted because they took it upon themselves to rebuild the herd. The DNR had no choice but to back off.

IN is under threat of CWD just like any other state is and MAYBE that is what we are seeing from a management perspective (a reaction to the threat). In any case IF that is true - I don't understand why the DNR doesn't defend it's actions IF they are justified.

I don't want to see an eradication effort statewide, I do however understand the concept of lower deer densities to reduce or limit the spread of a disease. Obviously this lowered deer density plays well into the crop damage and car/deer accident and habitat damage situations as well. In any case I see a push back coming along the lines of what gunther89 posted about folks banding together against what the DNR wants and rebuilding the herd on their own. ESPECIALLY if the DNR doesn't explain their actions. I would like to see the situation change before that happens, but it is a long uphill battle.

I fear it may simply be easier to circle the wagons locally and manage the deer on a localized level with neighbors and other area hunters (like gunther89 has seen). This won't be easy either and will be a huge culture shock for many folks, but the options are going to be limited. The options are going to be, follow what the DNR wants and struggle to see a deer, or work together with those within your hunting area (and figure out how to truly work together) and increase your chances of seeing deer. What this will do is increase leasing, hunting clubs and cooperatives and as such unless you have money or a connection somehow your going to be left on the outside looking in. IN has only roughly 5% of the land as public access - deer hunting is changing - adapt or die.

I think these state managers have to be careful 'searching for the bottom'. They have not been upfront and honest with the states hunters, and as the hunters learn what happened, DNR's biggest herd control asset no longer trusts them.

What the results of that will be we dont know, but once bitten twice shy.

How is the deer hunting in the public land in Dane and Iowa counties at present?

I'm sure Brooks saw the same thing, but just searching for others concerned about this issue all I found was primarily a lot of finger pointing and name calling - not much as far as actual action in trying to get something out of the DNR. There seems to be 2 sides to this - one is those that seem to trust the DNR and think that the adjustments they have made are enough of a response to hunters needs. The other wants even more adjustments (gross changes) made.

I find myself stuck in the middle - I just want to see the "plan" and try to understand the reasoning, methods and controls behind it. Once we understand the "game" - then you can figure out how to win at it!

With IN being roughly 95% privately owned I just don't understand why the DNR is risking this divide between them and the hunters they need so badly to accomplish their goals. It just seems SO counter-productive.

The one piece of data I did find that was interesting (dated 2010)

in 2010 (which was the second highest harvest total for us) based on a survey done by the DNR:
43% of hunters didn't tag a deer
30% tagged a single deer
12.2% tagged 2 deer
5.6% tagged 3 deer
2.4% tagged 4 deer
2.2% tagged 5 or more deer

So setting these bonus numbers of 4's & 8's really doesn't do anything except allow a special late season antlerless hunt. Very few hunters actually take that many deer on an individual basis. (I will note that at the time the 2010 data was collected IN didn't allow crossbows, and there was no special late season antlerless hunt). The DNR has not issued such a survey result in this broken down format since 2010.

So setting these bonus numbers of 4's & 8's really doesn't do anything except allow a special late season antlerless hunt. .

It paints the picture that she deer need to be killed. This old does are dropping the triplets and twins, and when a trusted voice says it is okay to shoot them, they get shot.