Marathon County WI Land for Sale.....Would you Buy or Run Away

Good to see that some on here have a sense of humor ... :eek::)

There are good agents out there. You may have not found one yet, but I promise they are there!

Kl9, where is it that you have all this great land represented by honest and realistic agents?

I see no use for a buyer's agent. They cannot represent you legally and from a negotiating standpoint, you'll get more help & good advice here.

Regarding expectations of an agent, there are none. Once you make an offer you are on your own as Realtors in Wisconsin cannot represent legal issues. Make sure you have an attorney involved as they be filter/auditor of all paperwork from initial offer to accepted offer, mortgage company, title company, and even the surveyor.

Remember your initial offer sets the stage for all legal protection through the purchase process to getting title insurance that is why you have your attorney pen the offer.

They cannot represent you legally??

No expectations for an agent?? Not sure what you are talking about?

Is that an active land fill? Depending on wind direction you might have a not so pleasant smell. If I intended to live on that property Id be concerned.(noise,smell, power lines) if I wasn't going to lived there the power line would be considered a plus.

Others list many good points to consider. I'll stick to the financial side of things. The first three counties you list are of course well known for good deer hunting and would be likely be an hour or less drive from where you live. Of course that means that prices will be considerably higher per acre than the price of that Marathon county one listed. Farms that can produce income are frankly not even within sniffing distance of that price within those counties if they have a decent amount of Ag land represented. Just a reality check from someone who lives 10 mins from Appleton in Outagamie, owns land in Shawano county and has access to family land in Waupaca and Waushara counties. Would be nice to be having this discussion a decade or two back when prices on farmland were more reasonable.

Kl9, where is it that you have all this great land represented by honest and realistic agents?

Contact Jay Frazier of First Weber group. If he does not have any ideas for your area he will tell you who does. He has spent prob $500-$1k on gas money for us to show us properties and we have yet to pull the trigger. Tell him I sent you, he is a good guy! He knows everything from forestry, timber value, ag production, whitetail hunting. He is a common Joe. One of the most honest folks I've met.

There are good agents out there. You may have not found one yet, but I promise they are there!

There is a difference between a good agent and an honest agent ... ;)

There is a difference between a good agent and an honest agent ... ;)

Totally agree. And I'm referring to an honest agent!

I work in ag and know the ag values very well. The reality is even with tough grain/ dairy prices I don't suspect decent ag ground to trade hands for under 4K per acre.

I am still considered a young man by most standards and and just becoming able to purchase land financially.

That being said it is somewhat disheartening to see the land prices today. As they say it is better to be lucky than good. Those who bought land 10 years ago certainly are smiling today.

Thanks for the agent suggestion. I will make a note of that.

They cannot represent you legally??

No expectations for an agent?? Not sure what you are talking about?

Real estate agents are marketing/sales people .... once you make an offer you are now entering into a contractual legal agreement ... there is an important difference to contractual legal representation and liability.

Real estate agents are marketing/sales people .... once you make an offer you are now entering into a contractual legal agreement ... there is an important difference to contractual legal representation and liability.

Realtor knows the market better than an attorney. Once you write a purchase agreement, buyers rep, you are being represented by that agent. You can involve an attorney if you want.

How you do it Tree Spud, that's your call. If you don't know or trust a good real estate agent, you probably have not bought many farms.

I personally just saw a attorney sell an estate for $2000 an acre and the market value was $3500/acre. He screwed that lady over so bad, it was sick.

Others list many good points to consider. I'll stick to the financial side of things. The first three counties you list are of course well known for good deer hunting and would be likely be an hour or less drive from where you live. Of course that means that prices will be considerably higher per acre than the price of that Marathon county one listed. Farms that can produce income are frankly not even within sniffing distance of that price within those counties if they have a decent amount of Ag land represented. Just a reality check from someone who lives 10 mins from Appleton in Outagamie, owns land in Shawano county and has access to family land in Waupaca and Waushara counties. Would be nice to be having this discussion a decade or two back when prices on farmland were more reasonable.

If I weren't married to a great woman I would ask to marry your sister.

I work in ag and know the ag values very well. The reality is even with tough grain/ dairy prices I don't suspect decent ag ground to trade hands for under 4K per acre.

I am still considered a young man by most standards and and just becoming able to purchase land financially.

That being said it is somewhat disheartening to see the land prices today. As they say it is better to be lucky than good. Those who bought land 10 years ago certainly are smiling today.

Unfortunately those buying land 10 or 15 years ago were still shaking their heads and saying those people selling must be on crack or something. Land cost multipliers in those areas have way outpaced the average wage multipliers for many years. About double the rate I'd say.

What exactly are these lawyers putting into these contracts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My land is right on a major highway in Indiana. Lots of deer. They are not afraid of the highway or noise......but the noise. Wow, it never stops. 24 x 7 the semis are running. If you are planning to build, make sure you visit when all the leaves are gone off the trees because in the summer the noise gets cut quite a bit. Come winter and it is 3x as loud.

Unfortunately those buying land 10 or 15 years ago were still shaking their heads and saying those people selling must be on crack or something. Land cost multipliers in those areas have way outpaced the average wage multipliers for many years. About double the rate I'd say.

The rate at which land prices have climb feel bubble like to me.

The sustained rising prices has more to do with a fast growing population area the last fifty years and decent paying jobs historically. That pace may throttle back and maybe land will level out some but a huge reverse from a bubble is not likely. All those people wanna build a house and play somewhere. Wisconsin is not a huge growth state but it does have pockets.

My land is right on a major highway in Indiana. Lots of deer. They are not afraid of the highway or noise......but the noise. Wow, it never stops. 24 x 7 the semis are running. If you are planning to build, make sure you visit when all the leaves are gone off the trees because in the summer the noise gets cut quite a bit. Come winter and it is 3x as loud.

Building a house close to Hwy 29 would definitely suck from a noise consideration. Myself probably a dealbreaker for living there.

It has some question marks but I would give it a good look over now and let the deer tell you what's there. The neighbors that hunt close buy will affect it more than any landfill will.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. This will never be a place I call home. It would be a hunting camp only.

My major concerns are can it hold good numbers of deer and bucks with good potential. The reality is Waupaca and shawano county are both within 20 miles to the east and south.

If it can hold deer and be a very hunt able property then it may make sense.